1.    #1  
    So I was able to unlock my AT&T/Cingular phone last night so i can use it with T-Mobile. I am very exciting about this. But I had a few questions.

1. I noticed people saying that they should install the new firmware after unlocking the phone. What version is it? And will it screw anything up?

2. Is there anyway to remove the splash screen on startup that saying "Cingluar" or is that stuck there forever?

3. What do you recommend for chat programs? Mainly Yahoo & MSN.

4. Are there any settings I need to change for T-Mobile. Any proxy settings, network settings or should they all work automatically?

Thanks everyone!!
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jogerson
    1. I noticed people saying that they should install the new firmware after unlocking the phone. What version is it? And will it screw anything up?
    People recommend installing the new firmware because it includes a lot of fixes. To install the unlocked firmware on a Cingular phone (unlocked or otherwise) you'll need to install the beta firmware first, then the released firmware. There are directions on here for upgrading a Cingular phone to the unlocked firmware.

2. Is there anyway to remove the splash screen on startup that saying "Cingluar" or is that stuck there forever?
    Installing the unlocked firmware will do this. If you decide not to install the firmware then you can get a splash screen without the Cingular logo from www.shadowmite.com

3. What do you recommend for chat programs? Mainly Yahoo & MSN.
    I'm not much into chat, but I did use the trial of verichat for a while and it seemed pretty good.

4. Are there any settings I need to change for T-Mobile. Any proxy settings, network settings or should they all work automatically?
    Everything should work as soon as you put the T-Mobile SIM in.

HTH,
    Brett
  3.    #3  
    Thanks! This is very helpful. Just so that I am clear....do I install the 1.13 update first? Could someone just tell me the two version to install (and in what order) and I will find them myself somewhere. I was reading the treads but the ones I saw seemed to be all over the place in terms of what to install first. Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    You need to install the unlocked 1.23 beta update first, then the unlocked 1.28 update. There are links to the 1.23 update on this forum and the 1.28 update is available from Palm. There also is a thread with instructions on obtaining and installing the 1.23 update, then the 1.28 update on a Cingular phone.

HTH,
    Brett
  5.    #5  
    Thank you again! Everything worked great and I got both updates installed. I'm going to install some IM software and I'll be all set. I love this thing now!!
    Jog,

Did you do the "SD card method" from http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=87669
    or what?

Details would be helpful as I am ready to go for it.

I did think that an unlocked CNG could go straight to updater 1.13? I guess not....