1.    #1  
    Recently gota treo 650. did not add anything but voice activation dialing and AOLŪ Instant Messenger(TM) 1.2 for PalmŪ OS 3.52 - 4.x. Everytime I run aol, the system shuts down and keeps restarting itself after the first two palm screens. Only way to fix the problem is to hard reboot. What is wrong?And what are my options? This phone is turning out to be a P.O.S. Third time on a business trip I lost my contacts, messages, and pictures. I recently found out about restarting while holding the <up> button, but am still frustrated and mad. Thanks for your help.
    This happened to me when I got my first 650. I was so mad that I called Verizon and they sent me a new phone. Of course I didn't wait to get the new phone. I did a hard reset again, renamed the backup file in windows explorer and hot synced. Then I changed the backup folder back and removed three programs in there (AOL and two games) and hot synced again. I never had the problem again. I believe the aol is the problem. It looks like you're using the wrong version of AIM. See if you can find one for Palm version 5+. I know there are links on this board for a program that will let you access AIM. But AOL doesn't have a compatable version yet, looks like you need the complete AOL program (which means you need to have AOL internet service).

http://mymobile.aol.com/portal/pda/index.html
    Last edited by RickMG; 07/01/2005 at 09:11 AM.
    The AOL Instant Messenger stinks. I strongly recommend you try VeriChat instead. MUCH better. Available at www.pdaapps.com
    I've been working on an AIM client off and on for a while, and am nearing "completion". Consider this a preview.

I've attached it, as the website is not quite ready yet.

I'd love to hear everybody's comments.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    any1 try it??
    Quote Originally Posted by loki007420
    any1 try it??
    I've tried it, but I suppose I don't really count. A couple of personal friends are using it off and on.

The version that I attached is still incomplete (but very close to what I expect the free version to be).

I should make my goals known first before people start complaining though I guess

My program is not intended to compete feature for feature against the big boys, but rather to do one thing and to do it well. It lets you IM, and I hope it does it well. My goal was to write an IM client that feels like it came with the Treo.

Anyways, I hope to have a basic website up today with screenshots, etc. I'll start a new thread when that's ready.
    Just took a look at this. I think it is a fantastic alternative. thanks very much for posting it. Certainly feels like it's part of the Treo-included software.

thanks again!
    rjb
    quick note... in the IM window, the button on the 5-way doesn't work on my SprintPCS T650. Have to touch the screen to get it to acknowledge the click. Seems like this is the same issue that appears in PalmOne's demo app for GroupSMS. Button works fine on T600, but not on T650. Any ideas?

thanks again!
    rjb
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbeep
    quick note... in the IM window, the button on the 5-way doesn't work on my SprintPCS T650. Have to touch the screen to get it to acknowledge the click. Seems like this is the same issue that appears in PalmOne's demo app for GroupSMS. Button works fine on T600, but not on T650. Any ideas?

thanks again!
    rjb

Which button is this? The center/select button? Hrmm.. odd..

I'll have to set up the 650 simulator. I'll take a look at it.

Thanks for your input.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Keep us up-to-date; it's definitely a much needed product/appliation: AIM-only client.

Thanks.
    verichat is 35 bucks a year! dang is there any other program........
    ar-cain,

yep, the center/select button on the 5-way. Seems to work okay on the buddy screen, but not in a chat screen. Haven't really drilled into the app much. Don't know if there are any other places the button doesn't work.

Still, great to have. thanks again.
    rjb
    I think I've hijacked this thread enough.

I've started a new thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?p=734836
    whats funny is that AOL has TEAMS of programmers to work on this, and 1 guy can write a better native client then them and prob did it on his spare time.
    Quote Originally Posted by takmsdsm
    whats funny is that AOL has TEAMS of programmers to work on this, and 1 guy can write a better native client then them and prob did it on his spare time.
    Where'd you see/read that "AOL has TEAMS of programmers" to work on AIM for Palm devices?? I've never seen such a thing. I really don't think they give a dern about Palm software...most developers nowadays don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejlaychock
    Recently gota treo 650. did not add anything but voice activation dialing and AOLŪ Instant Messenger(TM) 1.2 for PalmŪ OS 3.52 - 4.x. Everytime I run aol, the system shuts down and keeps restarting itself after the first two palm screens. Only way to fix the problem is to hard reboot. What is wrong?And what are my options? This phone is turning out to be a P.O.S. Third time on a business trip I lost my contacts, messages, and pictures. I recently found out about restarting while holding the <up> button, but am still frustrated and mad. Thanks for your help.

FIrst of all, it should be considered ESSENTIAL to have a good SD backup app like Backupman, Backupbuddy VFS for your Treo. That way you will NEVER have to lose all your data with a hard reset. Please do a search for more info. Having a backup app is vital especialy if you will be testing various apps which may be buggy etc...

Secondly, there are a myriad of IM apps out there including verichat, chotopus. IM+, Causerie, Mundu, Chit Chat lite, and etc.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions