Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I talked to TomTom's tech support yesterday, but they aren't sure the problem.

I have installed TomTom 5 on my treo 650 and installed a map through hotsync (this was before I realized they could be done directly to the card). Everything worked fine, but when I try to sync again, hotsync tries to backup the map. This process goes on for well over an hour and never ends. The only way I can get it to stop is to shut down hotsync.

I tried to delete the map with my card reader and then install it directly to the card on the reader, but when hotsyncing it still tries (unsucessfully) to back up the map. On hotsync it say "backing up currentmap.dat."

Has anyone else experienced this? I guess I may have to delete everything and reinstall it, installing the map directly to the SD card the first time.
    Did you also have problems with 3rd party apps not wanting to sync after installing TomTom?
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Check that the folder "C:\Program files\palmOne\<User>\Exchange\To" is empty.

If not you can delete all content according to TomTom-support:
    ".... The files that end up in this folder is files that hotsync was not able to transfer (that happns with hotsync from time to time, we do not know why but it does. Also with other aplications.). So you could call it a "temp" folder if you like. So there is no danger in deleting them as all that happens it that the next time you use hotsync it will sync the files again......"

(Plz take a backup copy of the content before deleting)
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
  4.    #4  
    Thanks jorand, there were files in there and I deleted them. Unfortunately, when I just tried to sync again it went back into the currentmap.dat backup mode. Which goes on endlessly. Hopefully fully uninstalling it should do the trick. I'm suprised no one else has had this problem.

Jeff, the only 3rd party app I have that syncs is docs to go, which seems to work fine.
  5.    #5  
    I also tried (per TomTom support) to delete the TomTom maps folder on my computer, but that didn't work. It keeps getting recreated during hotsync.

I hope there is a way to figure it out because everything else about it is amazing. I run it through my stereo with PTunes running in the background and it works great. If only the Treo's bluetooth profile allowed me to use my headset at the same time, it would be perfection.
  6.    #6  
    Has anyone else who has had this problem been able to fix it?
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Try this. Right click on the hotsync icon down in the right corner of windows. Choose custom from the pop up menu and then change tomtom to do nothing.

Not 100% sure if its called do nothing, don't have hotsync on my office machine. But that is how you tell hotsync to not sync a specific item.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks Meinken. Just tried it but unfortunately it doesn't work. Still goes into trying to backup the maps. Maybe I just need to let it hotsync once fully overnight and it will be fixed.
  9.    #9  
    In case anyone else is having this problem, the only way I found around it was to disable the backup feature in HotSync. Not sure that's a very good solution long term however.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyGOP
    In case anyone else is having this problem, the only way I found around it was to disable the backup feature in HotSync. Not sure that's a very good solution long term however.
    That's not a good long term solution. Backup saves your changed databases and files.

I am having a similar problem with TomTom, but my sync completes. I just get log errors stating the same thing about the maps.

-- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database ca_nv-3555093f.mac to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\ca_nv-3555093f_mac.PDB. The file contained database ca_nv-3555093F.mac data.
    -- Backing up ca_nv-3555093f.mac to C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\ca_nv-3555093f_mac.PDB
    -- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database currentmap.dat to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\currentmap_dat.PDB. The file contained database CurrentMap.dat data.
    -- Backing up currentmap.dat to C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\currentmap_dat.PDB
    -- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database CurrentMap.dat to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\CurrentMap_dat.PDB. The file contained database currentmap.dat data.
    -- Backing up CurrentMap.dat to C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\CurrentMap_dat.PDB
    -- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database ca_nv-3555093F.mac to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\ca_nv-3555093F_mac.PDB. The file contained database ca_nv-3555093f.mac data.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I sent TomTom the errors from my log and this is the reply.
    Dear Mr Meinken,

We are currently working on an update which will resolve the "backing up current map.dat" error. There should be a download available within the next week.

Kind Regards,

TomTom USA Customer Service
    I had four of these errors in my log :-- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database currentmap.dat to file C:\PROGRAM FILES\Palm\Mark\Backup\currentmap_dat.PDB. The file contained database CurrentMap.dat data.
  12.    #12  
    I contacted tech support after I first got it as well. It will be interesting if they contact us if they ever resolve the problem. I definitely am nervous about not using the backup feature, but I do have backups to my SD card each night.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmbritton
    That's not a good long term solution. Backup saves your changed databases and files.

I am having a similar problem with TomTom, but my sync completes. I just get log errors stating the same thing about the maps.

-- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database ca_nv-3555093f.mac to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\ca_nv-3555093f_mac.PDB. The file contained database ca_nv-3555093F.mac data.
    -- Backing up ca_nv-3555093f.mac to C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\ca_nv-3555093f_mac.PDB
    -- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database currentmap.dat to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\currentmap_dat.PDB. The file contained database CurrentMap.dat data.
    -- Backing up currentmap.dat to C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\currentmap_dat.PDB
    -- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database CurrentMap.dat to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\CurrentMap_dat.PDB. The file contained database currentmap.dat data.
    -- Backing up CurrentMap.dat to C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\CurrentMap_dat.PDB
    -- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database ca_nv-3555093F.mac to file C:\Program Files\palmOne\BrittoS\Backup\ca_nv-3555093F_mac.PDB. The file contained database ca_nv-3555093f.mac data.

I am getting a similar hot-sync error message at the end of my sync. This started after I had removed my SD card and re-inserted it.

Do you come up with a solution?
    I just installed and activated TT Nav 5 - USA version. It works fine, but i can not hot sync to my pc. Hot sync locks up( freezes) during syncing of navigator. My PC says "backing up settings.dat". Should I uninstall TT Nav 5 and start over? I deleted the four files in the exchange folder as per thread and still cann't hot sync
    I can not find any Tom Tom files on my PC. I only see an exchange folder and a tom tom maps folder under my palm ID folder. Is this correct or did the tt5 installation miss some files?
    It seems as though TomTom installs from the CD to the Palm via the Hotsync process. Very little is put on your PC. Maybe all of what is there comes from the Hotsync process. It will put maps there by the other location function if you ask it to. I am getting the same 4 map dat errors that are discussed above. Also got the same e-mail from support promising an update for Palm OS. I'm lucky in that my Hotsync process completes with just the error messages. It's interesting that the 4 files appear as only 2 files on the PC backup because the only difference is capitalization in the file name which windows ignores. I've been thinking of deleting two files from the palm but I'm not sure which two so haven't tried it yet and everything else is working...
    TomTom stages the files that it's going to Hotsynch in the "TomTomMaps" folder underneath your Palm/userid folder; once they're hotsync'd they're deleted from the PC. So a shortcut is to "install" the maps using the TomTom software, then cut/paste the folders from the c:\....\TomTomMaps folder into the root of your SD Card - quick and painless!
    Quote Originally Posted by oxoxtro600
    I just installed and activated TT Nav 5 - USA version. It works fine, but i can not hot sync to my pc. Hot sync locks up( freezes) during syncing of navigator. My PC says "backing up settings.dat". Should I uninstall TT Nav 5 and start over? I deleted the four files in the exchange folder as per thread and still cann't hot sync
    The work around I'm using for my sync problem (until TomTom provides an update) is to turn off the backup attribute on two of the following files (I used FileProg for this). These are located in palm internal memory. The first two seem to reflect the name of the map that was synced first.

ca_nv-3555093F.mac
    ca_nv-3555093f.mac
    CurrentMap.dat
    Currentmap.dat

I arbitrarily picked the ones with the capitalized F and M. The first time I synced I got only 2 errors and the next time there were none. Admittedly, I am not backing up some data but I can't imagine why TomTom is creating files with such similar names. Besides, because of the overwrite, I was ending up with only two backup files anyway. I'll let you know if I experience any change in Nav 5 performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    TomTom stages the files that it's going to Hotsynch in the "TomTomMaps" folder underneath your Palm/userid folder; once they're hotsync'd they're deleted from the PC. So a shortcut is to "install" the maps using the TomTom software, then cut/paste the folders from the c:\....\TomTomMaps folder into the root of your SD Card - quick and painless!
    Thanks for the tip. I gather that when asked to Hotsync during the TomTom map setup routine you don't do it and then move the files to SD later. I'm not sure this is better that just writing directly to the SD from the other location option. I guess if you have a mac it must be way better since you don't get that direct to SD option.
    jrfaris,
    I have the same four files, two are maps files and two are currentmap.dat. I only have filez so I do not know how to turn off the backup attribute on two of these files. What if I were to delete them. I think that they are redundant. Also, the Map with the same name resides on my card. Has all of this happened because we elected to hot sync the first map during activation rather then elect to have it go to C:/ drive?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast