1.    #1  
    I have been trying to enter unlock codes from Cingular all day. Must have put in unlock codes more than 20 times. THe phone never locked even tho people said it would after 5 times or after 10 times.

Finally gave up and paid $33 to hostingsupercenter.com. 30 minutes later and I am unlocked. I have to thank these guys for doing this with me at 1:30am. I leave for Europe tomorrow and now I can bring my Treo 650 with me!

The code from hostingsupercenter.com is the correct Subsidiary unlock code. The codes from Cingular are bogus even tho they explicitly said they were the subsid codes and not the PUK codes.

My success also kills the idea that refurbed phone might have a problem getting unlocked. Next time I go right to hostingsupercenter.com and pay the $33.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    Finally gave up and paid $33 to hostingsupercenter.com. [snip] Next time I go right to hostingsupercenter.com and pay the $33.
    Care to share the full URL for the benefit of others? hostingsupercenter.com is, as the name suggests, a web site hosting service. Without knowing the rest of the URL, that name doesn't really help.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    It's on the right side of the home page.. says:

TREO 600/650 for Global Network Enable your Phone and PDA for world-wide travel and local services. Access your domain through WAP.

The link there is http://hostingsupercenter.com/650.htm

Look at the demo on that page.. it is a very complicated process to unlock from these guys!!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I had to play the "I'm going overeas and can't tell you where so unlock me" game. I did get the unlock code 3 days later and it worked.

So although Cingular is a pain, they are not the Devil incarnate.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    It's on the right side of the home page.. says:

TREO 600/650 for Global Network Enable your Phone and PDA for world-wide travel and local services. Access your domain through WAP.

The link there is http://hostingsupercenter.com/650.htm

Look at the demo on that page.. it is a very complicated process to unlock from these guys!!
    It seems that the approach shown on the demo do not requires that you to disclose your IMEI in order to generate the unlock code. But on their website it ask for your IMEI and I guess that it will generate the unlock code based on it and sent it to you by email with the instructions on how to key it in i.e. using the #*.... method just like what your service provider would do. Can swieder or someone confirm that ?
  6.    #6  
    I sent them my EMEI number and they send me a name/address to login to the server. The server quiries the Treo and generates the unlock code while the Treo is in test mode. It looks more complicated than it really is. The whole process can take less then 15 minutes. You will need to be online and have ur Treo connects via a hotsync cable and have hotsync shutoff.

It worked great for me. The $33 cost was less expensive than the time that I wasted with Cingular. I think the CNG database is screwed up. I got another email after this whole mess from CNG giving me the same unlock code that did not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    I sent them my EMEI number and they send me a name/address to login to the server. The server quiries the Treo and generates the unlock code while the Treo is in test mode. It looks more complicated than it really is. The whole process can take less then 15 minutes. You will need to be online and have ur Treo connects via a hotsync cable and have hotsync shutoff.

It worked great for me. The $33 cost was less expensive than the time that I wasted with Cingular. I think the CNG database is screwed up. I got another email after this whole mess from CNG giving me the same unlock code that did not work.
    It seems strange to me that they want your IMEI number with the server connection method. Why can't they just generate an unlock code based on the provided IMEI and then send it through email with instruction on how to key it in just like your provider would. That would be the easiest way.
  8.    #8  
    Steven - Thats an excellent question which I can not answer. I can tell you that there method does work.