Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    So, I am curious. I have the unlimited data plan, but am contemplating cancelling it for a bit as finances are getting tight, and my life is not dependent on it, so...I was told that if I don't have the unlimited or a data plan that my phone would automatically connect to the net and charge me min and kb. Through the time I have had my 650 it has only connected, at least to the best of my knowledge, when I click GET on versamail, when I open web and it asks if I want to connect, and when I use dir assist, other than that I don't think it does, and if I don't do any of these things I should not be billed data correct? I don't believe that it "automatically" connects when you don't program it to (versamail does when I tell it to sync every xx minutes, but other than that...), but just want to make sure.

Any help would be much appreciated as I know most verizon reps just want to add on to your plan and get you to extend your contract.
    There is actually data working any time the phone is on - see that green light at the top? The only way to turn off the usage of data is to create a new network profile. So, by default, data IS transmitted regardless of your using the Internet or not.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    wow I guess I was very wrong or very misinformed. well that does change things a bit, I was told green arrows on the screen equal data and orange steady light is data but the green flasing light instead of the orange means voice, I was completely unaware it was constantly getting data, what if you don't have email set up, still getting data?
    No your phone is not using data all the time.
    Look at the display for the green arrows in the upper right. When you see that'\, data is being transferred.
    If you installed Verizon email software then that would chew up a lot of data.
    Watch out since some programs don't auto-disconnect when quiting. Make sure you diconnect from web browser when you're done.
    Get Battery+ or other app to auto disconnect from the network.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    so green arrows do equal data? as long as I don't use the web, verizon's email program (i never set it up I just use versamail), and I have versamail's auto sync turned off I will not use any data, correct? I am just getting a lot of different info from different places and want to make sure I understand correctly.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    still trying to figure this out, I called verizon CS and they said that the treo automatically connects every 20-30min to the network to check for email. I said what if you do not have email accounts set up and they said it does it anyways he said you can have no data plan, but then you can't text message, nor use picture messaging, ONLY the phone.

Anyone give me a final work one way or another on this? I would appreciate it very much, thanks!