1.    #1  
    Quote Originally Posted by howiecam
    I have paired my 650 with my friend's Axim... Works great... can even take photos with the 650 and BT send to the PPC..
    One thought for you... If you are planning to use the 650 as net connection/modem for your Axim, you should pony up for the Unlocked GSM, as the BT DUN is enabled whereas Cingular has disabled it.
    I too have this need: pair my HP iPAQ 4705 (& iPAQ 3715) to a Cinglar Treo 650. I want to browse the web, FTP, do email using the Treo 650 as a "modem" (DUN) over BT.

Question:

What are my options, to get DUN capbility for my Cingular Treo 650?
    [ I've tried the GSM-based DUN hack by "shadowmite", but I get an error message. Still trying to debug it ]

I've done some research, & as indicated above, the 1.28 upgrade (for unlocked Treo 650's) has DUN enabled. Cingular apparently doesn't want the DUN feature.

I've heard the (locked) Cingular Treo 650 can do OK with the (unlocked) 1.28 upgrade. Except, I'm kinda conservative..I would prefer to use Cingular branded upgrades. Would I lose Tech Support, if I upgraded to an (unlocked) version?

I have a Verizon PC5220 phone-card with unlimited Internet access for $80/month. DSL download (up to), dialup upload. Works well, I use it all the time when I'm abroad on business-trips. I can pay bills, keep up with news.

With SprintPCS Treo650 having DUN & Vision being $20 (unlimited Internet)..is the latter the way to go for Internet access? Is it blowing away Verizon's $80/month solution (DSL download, dialup upload)? It sure looks like a better value.

I have 2 SprintPCS picture-cellphones, both on Vision. I only went with the Cingular Treo 650, because I need it for world travel. I've always been with Sprint, & like their plans. The "rollover minutes" for Cingular is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpanzee
    I too have this need: pair my HP iPAQ 4705 (& iPAQ 3715) to a Cinglar Treo 650. I want to browse the web, FTP, do email using the Treo 650 as a "modem" (DUN) over BT.

Question:

What are my options, to get DUN capbility for my Cingular Treo 650?
    [ I've tried the GSM-based DUN hack by "shadowmite", but I get an error message. Still trying to debug it ]

I've done some research, & as indicated above, the 1.28 upgrade (for unlocked Treo 650's) has DUN enabled. Cingular apparently doesn't want the DUN feature.

I've heard the (locked) Cingular Treo 650 can do OK with the (unlocked) 1.28 upgrade. Except, I'm kinda conservative..I would prefer to use Cingular branded upgrades. Would I lose Tech Support, if I upgraded to an (unlocked) version?

I have a Verizon PC5220 phone-card with unlimited Internet access for $80/month. DSL download (up to), dialup upload. Works well, I use it all the time when I'm abroad on business-trips. I can pay bills, keep up with news.

With SprintPCS Treo650 having DUN & Vision being $20 (unlimited Internet)..is the latter the way to go for Internet access? Is it blowing away Verizon's $80/month solution (DSL download, dialup upload)? It sure looks like a better value.

I have 2 SprintPCS picture-cellphones, both on Vision. I only went with the Cingular Treo 650, because I need it for world travel. I've always been with Sprint, & like their plans. The "rollover minutes" for Cingular is nice.

Works great for me using an HP laptop with BT. You should be able to get the hx4705 working no problem - with the 1.28 firmware. You really have to upgrade to that. You will be on your own tech support wise, but the tech support in here is better then Cingular anyway, so IMO you aren't missing anything.

Or you can wait for Cingular to release the patch themselves...which might never happen.

I really and very very pleased with my 650 after going to the 1.28 ROM. Very happy.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
  3.    #3  
    Do you have the unlimited Internet plan for your Treo 650? (Blazer over GPRS/Edge).

Question:
    With above plan, do you get unlimited-access with your HP laptop + Treo650 (over BT).

I heard that Verizon & SprintPCS have the fastest digital networks..that Cingular's GPRS/Edge isn't as fast. What are your download & upload speeds like?

Is this the thread to get the 1.28 firmware?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=gsm+1.28

Dang, that sounds scary..

[ I need GSM compatibility when I go overseas next year. I'm afraid I might lose Cingular support for that. ]

Has anyone with Cingular Treo 650 got the "shadowmite hack" to work?

http://shadowmite.com/p-f.html#misc

When I goto BT Manager & try to change "Dial Up Networking" to "On"..it comes back with:

TranslibOpen err 0x740F

??

[ when I installed Filez (which is used to save BT Manager to Treo650), I had to register wiht Nosleepsoftware.com. I know I incorrectly entered another cellphone, NOT PalmOne Treo 650. I might have also entered the Hotsync ID wrong..I used "palmOne Device". I'm worried these settings have somehow "leaked" into BT Manager ]
  4.    #4  

Has anyone with Cingular Treo 650 got the "shadowmite hack" to work?

http://shadowmite.com/p-f.html#misc

When I goto BT Manager & try to change "Dial Up Networking" to "On"..it comes back with:

TranslibOpen err 0x740F

??

[ when I installed Filez (which is used to save BT Manager to Treo650), I had to register wiht Nosleepsoftware.com. I know I incorrectly entered another cellphone, NOT PalmOne Treo 650. I might have also entered the Hotsync ID wrong..I used "palmOne Device". I'm worried these settings have somehow "leaked" into BT Manager ]
    INCREDIBLE..

The above error has gone away, & it seems as if "Dial Up Networking" is "On". Funny thing, when the Treo650 turns off automatically (power-save feature)..I hit the power-button: IT TAKES LIKE 15 SECS for it to come back on!! Did the BT Manager hack somehow cause this?

Anyway, I'm making progress.

I used the HP iPAQ 3715 to setup a connection:

Bluetooth Dialup Modem

Country Code: 1
    Area Code: 425
    Phone #: **99***1#

User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    Domain: <blank>

Baud Rate: 115200
    Data Bits: 8
    Parity: NONE
    Stop Bits: 1
    Flow Control: Hardware
    ------------------------------

I'm in the Treo 650 Bluetooh application.
    I hit "connect" in the iPAQ, it dials "**99***1#"
    The blue-tooth icon in the Treo 650 *reverses* color
    [ What does this mean? it's communicating with the iPAQ? ]

The Treo 650 comes back with:

Network Response

UNKNOWN APPLICATION

The iPAQ just sits there.

Help??

I played with some of the settings. I'm stuck.

See instructions for Cingular Treo 650 at:

http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun
  5.    #5  
    ..I hit the power-button: IT TAKES LIKE 15 SECS for it to come back on!! Did the BT Manager hack somehow cause this?
    I retract this statement..

I just press the power-button harder & bit longer..& the Treo 650 powers right back up.

[ previously, I just "tapped" the power button ]
  6.    #6  
    INCREDIBLE..

The above error has gone away, & it seems as if "Dial Up Networking" is "On". Funny thing, when the Treo650 turns off automatically (power-save feature)..I hit the power-button: IT TAKES LIKE 15 SECS for it to come back on!! Did the BT Manager hack somehow cause this?

Anyway, I'm making progress.

I used the HP iPAQ 3715 to setup a connection:

Bluetooth Dialup Modem

Country Code: 1
    Area Code: 425
    Phone #: **99***1#

User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    Domain: <blank>

Baud Rate: 115200
    Data Bits: 8
    Parity: NONE
    Stop Bits: 1
    Flow Control: Hardware
    ------------------------------

I'm in the Treo 650 Bluetooh application.
    I hit "connect" in the iPAQ, it dials "**99***1#"
    The blue-tooth icon in the Treo 650 *reverses* color
    [ What does this mean? it's communicating with the iPAQ? ]

The Treo 650 comes back with:

Network Response

UNKNOWN APPLICATION

The iPAQ just sits there.

Help??

I played with some of the settings. I'm stuck.
    I went into Bluetooth manager for the iPAQ, & it says:

---------------
    Duration: 00:06:22 [ it's been at least 6 min 22 sec ]

Activity:
    77 bytes sent, 134 bytes received
    ---------

When I goto Internet Explorer, nothing happens.

Do I have a connection?
    [ on the Treo 650, the Bluetooth icon is "reversed": looks like something is happening ]

It comes back with:

--------
    Connection Established

Unable to establish a connection, Please make sure the device is enabled and that the requested service is available
    ---------------

??

I have the $40/month unlimited Internet Access plan. Do I have to have another plan enabled, before I can use the Treo650 over DUN?

What are other Cingular Treo650 users using in terms of a plan..do get DUN capability?

I have a couple of SprintPCS cellphones (non BT), using a cable between the iPAQ & cellphone. That combo didn't work, because I have to signup for a special plan ($40/month for 20mb of bandwidth!!)
    I went into Bluetooth manager for the iPAQ, & it says:

---------------
    Duration: 00:06:22 [ it's been at least 6 min 22 sec ]

Activity:
    77 bytes sent, 134 bytes received
    ---------

When I goto Internet Explorer, nothing happens.

Do I have a connection?
    [ on the Treo 650, the Bluetooth icon is "reversed": looks like something is happening ]

It comes back with:

--------
    Connection Established

Unable to establish a connection, Please make sure the device is enabled and that the requested service is available
    ---------------

??

I have the $40/month unlimited Internet Access plan. Do I have to have another plan enabled, before I can use the Treo650 over DUN?

What are other Cingular Treo650 users using in terms of a plan..do get DUN capability?

I have a couple of SprintPCS cellphones (non BT), using a cable between the iPAQ & cellphone. That combo didn't work, because I have to signup for a special plan ($40/month for 20mb of bandwidth!!)

I am actually a Cingular BLUE customer and have the unlimted $24.99 data plan. As of yet I haven't been charged for any tethering with either a PDA or a laptop. However, I haven't used a ton of data on tethering.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Hey chimpanzee,

I've just been playing around with almost exactly the same scenario, but with a Toshiba PocketPC instead of an iPAQ.

I was also getting the UNKNOWN APPLICATION error, and was able to get rid of it by eliminating an asterisk from the phone number:

I now use *99***1# instead of **99***1#

Now it works. I think, other than that, my setup is exactly the same as yours.

Let me know how it goes! **99***1# is what Shadowmite has on his page, maybe that's incorrect and we should email him...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenf
    Hey chimpanzee,

I've just been playing around with almost exactly the same scenario, but with a Toshiba PocketPC instead of an iPAQ.

I was also getting the UNKNOWN APPLICATION error, and was able to get rid of it by eliminating an asterisk from the phone number:

Let me know how it goes! **99***1# is what Shadowmite has on his page, maybe that's incorrect and we should email him...
    I tried *99***1#, but it still didn't work for me.

Are you on the 24.99 or 39.99 data plan?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenf
    Hey chimpanzee,

Guess what? I just got my HP4705 working with Treo 650!!

I made the change like you say..(I believe it's documented on the PalmOne site).

But, I had to do the following:

A) call up Cingular..& get them to give me the *unlock code*
    [ 1st time I called, I got the runaround. They were going to make an application & the code would be emailed to me ~72 hrs. Fooey with this. I called a 2nd time, & a friendly guy just gave me the code ]

B) now I could do the unlocked-GSM upgrade: FW1.23 upgrade.
    [ I ended up with FW1.23 & SW1.06 ]

For info on doing the above, see:

http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/06/cingular_treo_6.html
    http://www.uneasysilence.com/how-to-...-unlocked-gsm/
    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,13410.240.html

B) gave me DUN capability under BT. So, I made the phone # change like you recommended..BOOM. I'm surfing the web on the HP4705 over BT DUN.

Whew!! I never thought I'd see the light & get this thing working!!

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I have a project due in 1.5 weeks, which requires DUN over BT. So, I'm foregoing any upgrade to FW1.28/SW1.13
    Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper
    Works great for me using an HP laptop with BT. You should be able to get the hx4705 working no problem - with the 1.28 firmware. You really have to upgrade to that. You will be on your own tech support wise, but the tech support in here is better then Cingular anyway, so IMO you aren't missing anything.
    seaflipper,

did you go from a cingular gsm phone to unlocked gsm firmware?
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com