View Poll Results: What's Your Fave Email App?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Snapper

54 30.34%
  • Chatter

84 47.19%
  • VersaMail

29 16.29%
  • Agendus

2 1.12%
  • Eudora

0 0%
  • Other Full Apps

7 3.93%
  • Wireless Sync

2 1.12%
  • Services (like everyone.net)

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I forget another unique (and powerful) feature of ChatterEmail...

8. Filtered Mailboxes (including real-time server filtering and full folder search on your server)

Marc
  2. rg1
    Marc.... you're down playing the best feature of chatter.... your support. People can't really grasp the level of support you give until you try out the s/w.

I've received a response from Marc within 5 minutes (he can do that because he uses chatter too) in response to a question I had. Amazing.
    What kind of question is this? Chatter all the way...

Al
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by rg1
    Marc.... you're down playing the best feature of chatter.... your support. People can't really grasp the level of support you give until you try out the s/w.

I've received a response from Marc within 5 minutes (he can do that because he uses chatter too) in response to a question I had. Amazing.
    That's what I appreciate. Being a developer/designer myself (not for Palm Apps, but MivaScript) I certainly understand the demands of support. Frankly, I don't mind paying MORE for a product if I can get support - especially when it comes from a one-person or small business.

Thanks for hyping Marc's support. I downloaded a trial last evening and I'll let you know the outcome.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    What is "push" mail, thanks?
    Rather than polling (asking) your server if you have any new mail, IMAP (push) will tell you that you have a new message by simply sending it to you.

As nice as that feature is, Chatter just ins't practical on Verizon Treos. Extremely poor battery life and missed calls.

Verizon may very well be the cause of this (or at least the technology they use for data), but it's a reality and one that essentially forces Verizon users to not even consider Chatter.
  7.    #27  
    I'm on VZW and installed Chatter yesterday. I've had two soft resets when Popping but I was told that I should install the latest beta - but, I installed the latest stable (cause I'm a wimp!). At any rate, other than two softs, I've found it to be very reliable thus far. I get LOTS of email.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    As nice as that feature is, Chatter just ins't practical on Verizon Treos. Extremely poor battery life and missed calls.
    Can you tell me what you mean by this? I seem to have good battery life and have yet to miss a call in the first 5 weeks using the 650 - and I spend about 60 min./ day on the cell.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Pamela -

You should get the beta - it's very stable; mostly, the changes were for POP3, and they do prevent a few reset issues. The beta will become the stable version very soon, btw.

Also, people's experiences differ wildly with push and Verizon. I don't know whether it's the data plan, or the region, or whatever. Some people have serious battery issues; others no worse than "usual" for a CDMA phone. (GSM phones get 2x the battery life, and losing phone calls to voice mail is very unusual).

Marc
    I have a Sprint Treo 650 and I have 0 resets related to Chatter. I don't think I could ever go back to no push.

Al
    I use VZW Treo 650... 2 online mailboxes and I really don't get too many resets nor battery drain. I don't remember missing a call in a long time either.
    Marc can tell you better than I can, as he's talked to far more people who have tried Chatter on their VZW Treos.

But even the most recent stable causes issues for me on my 600.

I installed it yesterday (trying during my free nights and weekends) and within one hour, I lost 5% of battery life (4% to 89%), and the green arrows/orange LED appeared approximately every 3 minutes.

Regardless of the cause, it's impractical for me. I once stated that if Verizon ever pushed me to a data plan, I'd move to Chatter. But now, even if they do, it still doesn't make sense for me, as I'd lose too many calls and would have a battery that probably wouldn't get me through the whole day.
    PabloTX - Have you ever sent me a log? It's possible that there's an issue with configuration and/or server? Just curious...

But yes, CDMA phones are much more problematic with push than GSM phones. OTOH, there are lots of non-push advantages to ChatterEmail...

Marc
    Marc,

No, I haven't. I should be around the house the rest of the day, and shouldn't be receiving many calls/emails.

So I'll go ahead and get it loaded and will send you a log after a few hours.
    Pablo TX - Great...

Marc
    Marc,

I screwed up and performed a hard reset (and restore via BackupBuddyVFS) after finishing the test with Chatter, so the log is gone.

I'll try again later and will email the log.

But I did record some data regarding battery life.

1PM (when Chatter was loaded and setup) - 97%
    2PM - 89%
    3PM - 84%
    4PM - 77%
    5PM - 63%
    6PM - 56%

No calls made or received, no emails sent, composed or received. The only use the Treo saw was turning it on once an hour to get battery life. I did notice extremely frequent green arrows and orange LED.
    How many online Mailboxes do you have? How many others and how often are they checked? If this weren't Verizon, I'd say that something's wrong for sure. But with Verizon, it's not always that clear cut. I look forward to seeing the log.

Marc
    For this test, I'm only using one. There shouldn't be any other activity on the mail server- my portion anyways (shared hosting account).

I sent you a log.

I re-installed Chatter (so this isn't continuous battery usage, but from two separate periods).

This time, the new install was at 6:13 at 61%. At 7:55, it was 47%, and at the time of closing the log (8:00) it was 45%.

Very frequent active data connections.
    PabloTX - I sent you mail about this; basically, your server is the villain here (besides being on a CDMA network...); it's sending unsolicited timeout information every two minutes, and that's largely responsible for the battery usage. Some servers do this, but I don't see it that often. If possible, see if the host can remove this (most won't, but some that don't mind recompiling their server software might...)

Marc
    Thanks Marc. I've posted a question on their forums, and if I don't get a response there I'll open a trouble ticket.

I'm otherwise happy with the host, and am not really looking for a new one just for email, especially since Push email isn't high on my list of priorities.

I do appreciate you looking into this, and will let you know what I find out.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast