1.    #1  
    I ordered it on monday from Amazon.. got it yesterday.. The install was a pain with my mac.. never did get it working with the desktop but did with the laptop.. I love this little thing.. very cool.. the directions seem pretty accurate for southern california.. I just wish they'd get the traffic thing working for LA..

the Contact software with it doesn't work for me.. when ever I go to the program and hit on one of my contacts and select it to map the location.. my screen goes white.. anyone have this problem? i have to reset the unit.. I read somewhere that there was some software that better integrated the treo's contact book with the TomTom 5 Software.. anyone know what the software is called??

chris
  2.    #2  
    I was wrong about the traffic.. it does work for LA.. it uses the internet to get information.. that part is pretty slow but seems to work.. I need to drive around in traffic to see how accurate.. but it quickly reroutes based on traffic and gives estimated times to destination.. I'm curious as to how accurate those are..
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Works awesome on my Sprint 650 with Windows XP. Install was easy, just time consuming syncing the maps over.

Contacts Navigator works on mine without a problem. The interface and display is just awesome. What a killer little app for the Treo 650.

The GPS works indoors for me as well which was nice when just playing around with it.
  4.    #4  
    yeah.. my Contact Navigator definately doesn't work.. it works but after you select the address of the person in your contacts and specify to map location.. it looks like if it loads navigator again.. it says writing route instructions..(68%) and freezes at 68%.. i have to reset each time.. I re-installed the software and had to re-enter my product code, and other id's and start from scratch.. it still didn't fix it.. hopefully my tomtom email will be returned soon..
    that's unusual, I haven't had any troubles with the contact navigator myself, used it quite a few times on getting to various friends places.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapfilm
    I ordered it on monday from Amazon.. got it yesterday.. The install was a pain with my mac.. never did get it working with the desktop but did with the laptop.. I love this little thing.. very cool.. the directions seem pretty accurate for southern california.. I just wish they'd get the traffic thing working for LA..

the Contact software with it doesn't work for me.. when ever I go to the program and hit on one of my contacts and select it to map the location.. my screen goes white.. anyone have this problem? i have to reset the unit.. I read somewhere that there was some software that better integrated the treo's contact book with the TomTom 5 Software.. anyone know what the software is called??

chris
    I had a problem with the program loading as well. Screen would go blank and start flashing Armcode not Validated. Make sure you have enough free memory in ram. This cured my problem. Tom Tom suggests 5 - 10 mb free in ram as well as install application and maps to sd card to run properly. As far as contacts go make sure you do not have suite numbers listed in the street address. It will definitely screw it up. My TT5 was a pain to get going but I wouldn't trade if for anything now!
    I am still waiting for the upgrade to be available from their site. (sucks) I heard it was going to be available in the middle of the month. Oh well, another release date come and gone.....
    cheapfilm, can you post some pictures of TT Plus traffic on your Sprint T650? I will only get the TT if the traffic info is usefull. Thanks!
    Tomtom traffic (navigator 5) doesn't seem to work on my treo650. Each time i'm trying to access the service the system soft resets after asking me the username and the pwd. Anyone got the same trouble? I even tried starting gprs connection manually (bluetooth is on) before pushing traffic button. Nothing helped. Weather function got the same problem here.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks

Mvetto
  10. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Hello,
    I wanted to report my experience with using TomTom 5.000 Traffic on my Sprint T650 for one month in Queens and Long Island. So far, it has been 100% inaccurate in these areas. That is, every time TomTom reports traffic on my route, I see no traffic as I drive straight thru the part of the route. Also, every time I am stuck in traffic, TomTom says that there is no traffic on that part of my route.

I am hopeful that this will change as TomTom Traffic matures. However, I really have no idea until I hear back from TomTom Support on this issue. I am sending this report to them now and will let you all know as soon as I hear back from them.

Also, if TomTom cannot connect to internet (like if I lose my internet connection), I must exit and reopen TomTom before TomTom can connect again.

Perhaps both issues were already addressed in the updates?

I do not regret purchasing TomTom at all! I just will not subscribe to Traffic option if it does not work.

I'll be back!
    I used the traffic feature on a 280 mile trip from Long Island, NY to Atlantic City, NJ this summer. The traffic feature is cool, but not ready for prime time. Specifically, it reported hold ups where there were none. I set the refresh rate to 20 minutes. I like how it tells you how close you are to the traffic.

As far as directions, in search for the 'shortest' route, it requested me to do silly things like getting off the NJ turnpike early to switch to the Garden State, instead of going one more exit to the major interchange. It should always favor the highways. Hmm.

The streets in Ventnor City have changed direction in some places, but I don't expect that to have been updated on the maps.

Personally, I would like a simple navigation feature to find an alternative route when you are sitting in or approaching traffic. Right now, I believe you have to go into the route submenu and select the road you want to avoid. Maybe a 'Reroute avoiding the current road' button. Then, if you re-enter that road (e.g. no more traffic, or accident is behind you) it would work as usual and recompute the original route.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air