1.    #1  
    I have some dumb newbie questions. I hope I'm posting in the right forum. My apologies if not.

I'm planning on getting a Treo 650 but I have a few questions. I thought this might be the best place for me to post since Mac compatibility is a primary issue for me.

I'm really illiterate when it comes to this stuff, so speak slowly please.

Can I use my Treo through either bluetooth or my wireless card to connect my PowerBook to the internet? If so, is there anything special I have to buy or any particular carrier I should use?

Can I get email on the 650 through an outlook/exchange server at work (I use entourage on my laptop)?

Any carrier recommendations? I'm looking at Verizon with Cingular as a close second. I'm in the southwest and travel to the southeast. Cingular seems to have more coverage in the MS/TN area. Is there any difference in data services among carriers, other than price?

How is the mp3 player on the Treo? Can I use it with iTunes?

Any recommendations for a wireless headset?

Anything else a naive newbie should know?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me!
    Quote Originally Posted by frieda
    Can I use my Treo through either bluetooth or my wireless card to connect my PowerBook to the internet? If so, is there anything special I have to buy or any particular carrier I should use?
    Yes, via bluetooth. Many people have had success with this. I'm still working on getting mine to work. While theoretically any carrier *should* work, some have "issues", and some have very unfavorable data plans. I'm not the resident expert on the carriers.

Can I get email on the 650 through an outlook/exchange server at work (I use entourage on my laptop)?
    I haven't tried, but everything I've read says this will work.

Any carrier recommendations? I'm looking at Verizon with Cingular as a close second. I'm in the southwest and travel to the southeast. Cingular seems to have more coverage in the MS/TN area. Is there any difference in data services among carriers, other than price?
    I don't know about coverage in your area, but I always have been a Sprint fan. The $15 Unlimited Vision Plan is, as far as I know, the best data plan out there.

How is the mp3 player on the Treo? Can I use it with iTunes?
    With third party software called "Missing Sync", which replaces the Palm Desktop, you can use iTunes with your treo. Personally, I have an iPod, and haven't attempted the Treo's MP3 player.

Any recommendations for a wireless headset?
    I've been very happy with my Jabra BT250. Depends on your environment though - if you plan to be around a lot of background noise, you want one that advertises noise reduction. And of course, it has to be comfortable in your ear, or you won't wear it.

Anything else a naive newbie should know?
    If you're buying in the very near future, you may not have the latest software (which, among other things, enables the laptop connection you alluded to earlier. You'll need to follow directions posted elsewhere for the 1.12 firmware upgrade.
    If you have specific problems, make sure you do a search here before asking. People here don't like to repeat themselves..
    You can use Bluetooth to connect to the internet and I'm pretty sure that works in the Mac world. Sprint supports this but I don't know about VZW or Cingular.

I'm not sure about Exchange. Do a search for Entourage because I've seen threads on it.

VZW is a CDMA carrier while Cingular is GSM. Many people like GSM since you can get a different SIM card and use your phone in GSM supported countries. As far as coverage, I'm not sure. VZW is pretty good almost anywhere. What carrier, if any, do you have now?

Most people here use pTunes instead of the included MP3 program, RealPlayer. I am one of those people. The free version supports MP3 and the pay version allows you to stream Shoutcast (Internet radio). You cannot currently use pTunes or Real with iTunes, although that support is coming for pTunes. Another free audio/video player is TCPMP that has support for AAC files but not those purchased from iTunes.

Wireless headset: Sony HBH-660/662, Treo Wireless Headset, Scala. Those are the favorites around here. Do a serach on one and you'll find comments on the others. I find the HBH the best for me.

Advice: Take it slow, enjoy, and search this site. Most newbie questions have been asked before and issues discussed extensively. I generally search before asking a question. Good luck and enjoy your Treo!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by forty2j
    Yes, via bluetooth. Many people have had success with this. I'm still working on getting mine to work. While theoretically any carrier *should* work, some have "issues", and some have very unfavorable data plans. I'm not the resident expert on the carriers.

I haven't tried, but everything I've read says this will work.

With third party software called "Missing Sync", which replaces the Palm Desktop, you can use iTunes with your treo. Personally, I have an iPod, and haven't attempted the Treo's MP3 player.

I've been very happy with my Jabra BT250. Depends on your environment though - if you plan to be around a lot of background noise, you want one that advertises noise reduction. And of course, it has to be comfortable in your ear, or you won't wear it.

If you're buying in the very near future, you may not have the latest software (which, among other things, enables the laptop connection you alluded to earlier. You'll need to follow directions posted elsewhere for the 1.12 firmware upgrade.
    If you have specific problems, make sure you do a search here before asking. People here don't like to repeat themselves..
    Thanks! I'll look into the Missing Sync and Jabra headset, as well as the firmware upgrade. I've done a search on these items and either the discussion was over my head or the threads had no real answers posted. I appreciate your answers and time!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    You can use Bluetooth to connect to the internet and I'm pretty sure that works in the Mac world. Sprint supports this but I don't know about VZW or Cingular.

I'm not sure about Exchange. Do a search for Entourage because I've seen threads on it.

VZW is a CDMA carrier while Cingular is GSM. Many people like GSM since you can get a different SIM card and use your phone in GSM supported countries. As far as coverage, I'm not sure. VZW is pretty good almost anywhere. What carrier, if any, do you have now?

Most people here use pTunes instead of the included MP3 program, RealPlayer. I am one of those people. The free version supports MP3 and the pay version allows you to stream Shoutcast (Internet radio). You cannot currently use pTunes or Real with iTunes, although that support is coming for pTunes. Another free audio/video player is TCPMP that has support for AAC files but not those purchased from iTunes.

Wireless headset: Sony HBH-660/662, Treo Wireless Headset, Scala. Those are the favorites around here. Do a serach on one and you'll find comments on the others. I find the HBH the best for me.

Advice: Take it slow, enjoy, and search this site. Most newbie questions have been asked before and issues discussed extensively. I generally search before asking a question. Good luck and enjoy your Treo!
    I didn't find anything useful with a search for Entourage, but I'll keep looking. I use Cricket now--I get unlimited calling anytime for $45/mo, but they say I can't use a non-Cricket phone with their service. I was hoping to stay with them for voice and get a separate data service. I've been really happy with them and am nervous about switching. I tried Alltel once for a week and it was hideous.

There seems to be such a learning curve with this device! It's a little intimidating to a non-tech person like me, but I really like the potential here and hope I can live up to the challenge of figuring this thing out.

Thank you very much for your input and advice!
    Another bit of newbie advice is to get a SD card and backup software (BackupMan v1.52b5 from Bitsnbolts.com works well for me) and backup daily. I had a crash today that really hosed up something and the backup software saved my ****. A Hotsync is good, but if you have a meltdown while away from your computer, the backup software really shows its value.
  7.    #7  
    What's an SD card and where can I get one?

Thanks!
    SD card is a memory card. The 650 doesn't have a lot of space so you get an SD card to put music/movies and other things on. They come in sizes from 16MBytes to 2 Gigabytes. If you have a lot of stuff you should probably get 512 to 1 GByte.
    ($50-130) Available any place that sells electronics or digital cameras.
    If you're going to copy a lot of files you might want to consder getting a card reader. This plugs into your computer and allows you to quickly access and copy files just like a disk. ($15-30)

Regarding iTunes. As mentioned PTunes is a great player for Treo. You can copy any MP3 file to the Treo and play with pTunes. This includes any songs you ripped from your own CD's IF your iTunes prefs are set to MP3. Nothing on the Treo plays tunes downloaded from the Apple iTunes store. You need to convert them with 'extra' software or burn to CD and re-import. You don't need Missing Sync but it makes some things easier.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    With the update, I have no problem using my Sprint Treo 650 with my Powerbook or Mac mini. I love the Cardo Scala 500 bluetooth headset. I don't use Entourage but if you can configure pop or imap on Entourage, you can do it on versamail. It will not do http mail. I use Real Player or PTunes on my Treo. It's easy to put mp3s on a Treo just hotsync. I use missing sync for that which I love. Documents to Go does not work well if you are thinking about that. Any other ques?
  10.    #10  
    Scott, thanks for the info about the SD card!

emtkopan, that's good to know about the pop/imap email. That should work.

I'll probably have more questions once I actually get the device in my little hands!