Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Well...I'm back to a Treo 650. I parted with one a few months ago when I switched from Sprint back to Verizon, and decided to wait for the i730 before using up my new phone discount.

And so I tried the i730. It is a very very nice device. It feels solid, powerful, expensive, quality. I also really like Pocket PC OS for the PDA portion, mostly because it looks and feels so familiar. But the PPC has some serious catching up to do when it comes to ease-of-use. One handed operation is pretty much impossible with the i730, simply because the OS is not "tuned" for it. And besides that, you first have to slide out the keyboard, which I found to be more of an annoyance than I expected (on a side note...it slides really smoooooooth!). And the phone-PDA integration on the Treo is really superior to the i730.

Too bad, I really wanted to like the i730. And I DO like it, just not enough. After using a Treo, the PPC Phone Edition OS is just too cumbersome. Perhaps I'll be taking another peek if Magneto brings some improvements... and then hopefully on a Treo form factor device!

In the mean time, I'll be happily using a Treo 650 .
    Last edited by mobidutch; 06/30/2005 at 02:42 PM.
    Smart move. "May the Force be with you", Yoda.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobidutch
    One handed operation is pretty much impossible with the i730, simply because the OS is not "tuned" for it. And besides that, you first have to slide out the keyboard, which I found to be more of an annoyance than I expected (on a side note...it slides really smoooooooth!). And the phone-PDA integration on the Treo is really superior to the i730.

Supposedly Windows Mobile 5.0 is going to tuned for one handed operation. I agree with your comments 100%. If we could only get win mobile 5.0 on the Treo form factor, that would be awesome....

I too am sticking with the Treo650 until a true one handed win 5.0 mobile with Qwerty comes out. I have one critical app that only runs on PPC (TimeTTracker MX) but I am makind do without it on my Treo because the advantages of the Treo are so big
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by mobidutch
    Well...I'm back to a Treo 650. I parted with one a few months ago when I switched from Sprint back to Verizon, and decided to wait for the i730 before using up my new phone discount.

And so I tried the i730. It is a very very nice device. It feels solid, powerful, expensive, quality. I also really like the Pocket PC OS for the PDA portion (no worries), mostly because it looks and feels so familiar. But the PPC has some serious catching up to do when it comes to ease-of-use. One handed operation is pretty much impossible with the i730, simply because the OS is not "tuned" for it. And besides that, you first have to slide out the keyboard, which I found to be more of an annoyance than I expected (on a side note...it slides really smoooooooth!). And the phone-PDA integration on the Treo is really superior to the i730.

Too bad, I really wanted to like the i730. And I DO like it, just not enough. After using a Treo, the PPC Phone Edition OS is just too cumbersome. Perhaps I'll be taking another peek if Magneto brings some improvements... and then hopefully on a Treo form factor device!

Thanks for your comments. I've been hoping someone would provide information like this. One of the advantages of the Windows Mobile devices is that they sync perfectly with Outlook. Just about all the fields actually synchronize. I have used a Treo 650 (had to return it), but only with a Mac. That was a mess in terms of synchronization.

I'm preparing to buy a new 650 now. Let's face it. There isn't a single device that has more convenience in the form factor. My only concern is that some of my data will not synchronize properly from Outlook 2003 to the Treo. For example, I was told that middle initials do not sync.

Anyway, I sense the Treo will continue to be refined.
    David
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defii
    My only concern is that some of my data will not synchronize properly from Outlook 2003 to the Treo. For example, I was told that middle initials do not sync.
    True. In fact, that was one thing about the Palm OS that I found to be a major disadvantage. But I still have all the Palm apps I invested in, and one of those was KeySuite (www.chapura.com). Not cheap, but much better than the standard Palm apps for Contacts, Calendar etc., and it syncs ALL Outlook fields.