Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Ok, I started a thread yesterday about a new device that I came across by motorola. I called it a possible Treo Killer...not for the sake of generating hatred, but merely to say that the Treo does not appear to have competition. I dont really care if it is a PPC, versus Palm OS. I really like the Palm OS and all the apps that are available, but you know what, the Treo is suppose to be both a PDA and phone. That is why I bought it. The problem that I see is that the end users are screaming for basic issues to be fixed or added, and Palm seems to give its users some automated Tech Support system that people are growing to hate.

I mean what is the deal with lack of Wifi? Adding the bluetooth stack that the Sprint upgrade has to the GSM upgrade. Whats the deal with BT 1.1 vs 1.2? Why doesnt my volume rocker buttons mute my incoming calls like my T600 did.

I am not *****ing...I am merely pointing out that with lack of competition, Palm basically says, "If you dont like it, get something else" where as they know there is nothing similar. But when that time comes, they will see how many will jump ship to get the technology and support that they/we are begging for.

This has been my experience so far...just wondering what everyone else is feeling/thinking...

my 2cents only

rob
    Rob: I think the title of your thread "Whats it gonna take for Palm to Listen? " can be answered by just having healthy competition. Like you said, there reallys isnt anything like the treo, that does it as easily as it does.

Hopefully by the end of this year, there will be more alternatives. I think Palm marketing knows that out of all the different OS's, Palm's loyalty is arguably the strongest. Im sure they bank on it.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I tend to agree with you regarding loyality. But people can only be so loyal, especially when requests, and concerns go unanswered. I have been looking at peoples responses regarding issues that they are presenting to Palm and they all appear to be getting back an automated response with no tech support whatsoever. One does not pay $600 for a product to get a computer give them back a response based on key words in the request.

There are many ways to fix this...just dont know if Palm is going to take any of those routes. In either event, just curious what other people are feeling.

rob
    I think it's a little hard to criticize something that is currently at the top of the heap. No matter what we say here, it's clear that by most standards everyone else that's trying to make a smartphone did it worse. Now I agree that there are some things that are annoying (the 32MB of RAM confounds me) but overall the folks making the Treo clearly have a very strong vision that transcends regular feature checklists and crosses over into "how do people actually use this?"

Take WiFi. I think I read an article that said less than 10% of people were using the WiFi in one of their Tungsten models. Would it have been worth it to increase the size and cost and battery consumption for every single Treo 650 user to accomodate that feature? Especially with the built in data service? Now you might still say yes, but I think at the very least it's clear the Palm guys were not just hitting the bong when they decided not to include that particular feature.
    I tend to be a Sony guy when it comes to customer loyalty, but since they phased out Clies altogether, I had to look somewhere else for my next PDA, which is how I ended up with the 650. If someone puts something else out that is simply better than whatever the latest and greatest Palm has (which is obviously the 650 right now), I'll jump ship in a heartbeat.
    I have no use for wifi on my T650, since I have a data connection. I mostly use mobile sites, so the connection is plenty fast. (Cingular)
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    ...Adding the bluetooth stack that the Sprint upgrade has to the GSM upgrade....
    Can you clarify what this means?

To answer your main question. Competition is the only thing that will force Palm (or any other company) to listen to their customers.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pentatonic145
    I tend to be a Sony guy when it comes to customer loyalty, but since they phased out Clies altogether, I had to look somewhere else for my next PDA, which is how I ended up with the 650. If someone puts something else out that is simply better than whatever the latest and greatest Palm has (which is obviously the 650 right now), I'll jump ship in a heartbeat.
    Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I think customer loyalty is overrated, especially when you are agreeing to pay a premium.

Best total solution works for me. Today it's a 650.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
    Hopefully someone at Palm (Yes, it is a little early to drop the "One") reads this thread and doesn't take these recommendations lightly.

Wifi on this device is overrated. Only real reason I'd consider Wifi is for VoIP, but even then...bluetooth would serve a better job for me personally because of the battery life. If I were on a college campus or worked somewhere that was just blanketed with WiFi....I'd love to use the VoWifi...but I'd still be a "niche of a subclass". If that's what I really wanted, I'd HAVE to use the wifi sled which is already available...the only problem is Garnet Sucks!!!

Recommendations

1) Quit the soap opera drama bullcrap, Palm! That NY Times article makes you look like you don't know how to run a business...Merger, Split, Acquire, Spin off, Rename, RE-Rename, etc. (and I wouldn't doubt that the companies are gonna merge again). I mean, really was there a good reason to split into a hard- & soft-ware company?? Not if PalmOne...oops, I mean, Palm...doesn't use Windows Mobile 5.0. But would Palm really do that?? NOPE, PalmSource would die and then slowly Palm would die since they can't really innovate fast enough. Sharp can innovate -- can you say, clamshell and hard drive?? Take lessons from them, Palm!! Sure there were some amazing improvements over the 600 after they acquired handspring...but Handspring did the majority of the work...Palm just made it even more phone like and did the stuff that Handspring couldn't afford to do, like hi-res & bluetooth.

2) Do whatever it takes to get Palm OS for Linux (and whatever it takes to change that horrible name) out the door. If it means you'll have to Re-merge and share resources/programmers...DO IT!! Then all of a sudden, BAM...you've got the best candybar phone with an operating system that is FINALLY capable of competing with Windows. Seamless hopping of the tri-wireless technologies becomes possible, VoIP becomes possible, true high-resolution screens become possible, true multi-tasking becomes possible, use of simple Linux apps becomes possible, etc...

3) Gimme a clamshell device, hopefully a tablet too....I'd prefer it to be a candybar phone when closed, protecting the real goods inside -- a pda with vga screen and nice-sized truly flat keyboard, enough of this maximizing the potential of a 2.2" wide keyboard

It's true that the loyalists around here can only go so far before they inevitably jump ship. I'm afraid that PalmSource and Palm just don't learn quickly enough in this free-market economy. It's amazing how crappy that Microsoft products are initially....but I'll be derned if they don't learn quickly!! That's how they stay on top and will stay there for some time to come. Longhorn's still not out yet, but I think it will squash a lot of hype that Linux is starting to gain. Why will it squash the hype? Because Microsoft studied their competitors and saw the benefits that the *nixes provided -- tabbed completion, the ability to pipe commands together, requiring users to type in a password before installing software, security, etc. Microsoft borrowing features from the *nixes?? It couldn't be!! The same is true of the hardware companies that use Windows Mobile....they adapt to what the consumer wants. Good for them!!! They'll prolly be receiving my business in the next 2-4 years because Palm CAN'T INNOVATE.

Anyway, moral of the story is that PalmSource needs to hurry the F up and release Cobalt w/Linux, 'cause the OS hasn't changed too terribly much in several years AND Palm needs to hurry the F up and show me a family of Treos.

- Peace out, homies!
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    Can you clarify what this means?

To answer your main question. Competition is the only thing that will force Palm (or any other company) to listen to their customers.
    It would appear from other posts that the Sprint upgrade to BT is different (more uptodate, more advanced, whatever you would like to call it, but it allows for more options for paring).

rob
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    It would appear from other posts that the Sprint upgrade to BT is different (more uptodate, more advanced, whatever you would like to call it, but it allows for more options for paring).

rob
    It certainly seems as though they are rolling features first to the company who commits to buying the most phones (fact?). It would be real interesting to see how many phones they sell to:

sprint
    verizon
    cingular
    unlocked

and see if the feature set follows that pattern.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    OK, on my Unlocked GSM with the lastest update, I have the following Bluetooth programs;
    Bluetooth v.2.0
    Bluetooth v.2.0 (W)
    Bluetooth Device Cache... v.2.0
    Bluetooth Exchange L... v.1.0
    Bluetooth Library v.6.0
    Bluetooth Prefs Backup... v.0.0

Can a Sprint user post the versions they have after the latest update?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.