Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What's interesting is that if you just read these forums, you would think the 650 is a failure. Sure it's not perfect and could use some improvements, but overall, it is an amazing device that nothing else matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    My favorite as well. I literally L'd OL
    me too! me too! My officemates (25+) were NOT amused...
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor

Do they do tech articles in Florida?
    exactly. i'm really sick of the new york bashing.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrmcc
    exactly. i'm really sick of the new york bashing.
    the times draws the fire, unfortunately....
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    the times draws the fire, unfortunately....
    They do have their problems.

Of course, Florida has never done anything embarrassing.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    NRG! You still have that avatar that makes me seasick!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    As a card carrying member of the S.P.R.B.A., I'm still waiting for the Cingular fix. Nice piece.
    I am a treo user that is getting pissed off about all the hype and misinformation people are spreading about how great the treo is. An unsuspecting customer like me who used to read these reviews thought the treo was so great. Then I bought one. Why in the world does not a single review mention that you CAN NOT make it through one single day without it crashing, freezing or resetting? This is normal to you folks? Well I'm sorry, I am a mac user not a PC user and this is unacceptable to me. The treo has great features, and they all take forever to use because I need to reset it multiple times and wait for it to come up before trying it again, often to just find that it crashes when I try to do the same thing again. Sometimes, it will work, sometimes it will not. How can respectable magazines and articles review it and not even mention this as though all the phones in the world do this. They don't. Someone please fill me in.. do I have a very defective one or what? I read that this happens to many people in some places... so which is it? This is my first one and I havn't sent it back yet because some of the threads I read lead me to believe I will get a worse one. Which is it? Is it really as bad as mine is or not?
    I think a majority of owners do not suffer resets on a daily basis. Can I back that up with 'statistics'. No. Can you reduce your resets? Maybe...give us some background info on what you have loaded, who is your carrier, etc.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    What's interesting is that if you just read these forums, you would think the 650 is a failure. Sure it's not perfect and could use some improvements, but overall, it is an amazing device that nothing else matches.
    To the person that wrote this: Do you have one? Are you able to use the speakerphone and hear the person on the other end or is the volume way to low? Are you able to look people up in your address book and add new people while on the phone or does the phone freeze? Are you able to turn it on whenever you want after having it in your pocket for a few hours or does it sometimes freeze without warning and you miss incoming calls as a result and you only find out when it refuses to turn on and you need to soft reset it? Does it sometimes slow to a crawl so that it takes - literally 3-5 seconds to move from 1 app to the next in the list of apps?

Is this happening to just me or do others have these problems? If they do, how can you rave that it is so good? If not, how come there are many posts all around the net with other people having these same problems?

My parents wanted a treo because they saw I had one but I just couldn't recommend it to them. I told them to stay away because as a software engineer if I have to play with it for hours to get it to work I can't imagine my mom being able to use it. She would be frustrated and leave it at home permanently.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I think a majority of owners do not suffer resets on a daily basis. Can I back that up with 'statistics'. No. Can you reduce your resets? Maybe...give us some background info on what you have loaded, who is your carrier, etc.
    I have a cingular treo 650 i bought from amazon.com.

Let me begin by saying that even after a hard reset these problems do not go away, although they may be less frequent. I can't tell for sure because I can't do anyhting I use all the time without loading any 3rd party apps.

Here is what I commonly put on (my essentials):

Diddlebug
    Filez
    HandyShpr
    missing Sync
    Grafiti anywhere
    always on
    web confidential
    mocha VNC (to connect to my servers - this is really useful and the free one isn't as quick to use it doesn't have good compression)
    DUN hack
    and sometimes openchess

I could live with just those if that would work fine. But it doesn't.

And before you blame everything on DUN hack, i usually leave that until last until I absolutely need it and experience many crashes long before that point.

P.S. I installed the latest ROM updates and everything. Even tried that voice-updater thing and it didn't have any effect I could notice.

P.P.S. Thanks for trying to help by the way. And it's not really that it always resets on its own, that actually happens rarely to me and would be more convenient. Its more that it freezes and forces me to reset it, and I have it in an open-hard case so I have to take it out of the case, take off the cover and carefully take the pen out (I bought the pen-styli recommended on the reviews of this site and often the end the caps the pen part comes off and I have to keep sticking it back in and trying to get it to pull the stylus out with it). So its really annoying.

I do love the treo, I really do, if it would just not do these things I described to me I would be very happy. But the way it is it's slowly driving me absolutely crazy! I have had it for about 3 months and it has always been like this.
    Last edited by pilavdzic; 07/14/2005 at 11:55 PM. Reason: added PS's
    Have you tried putting one program on per day to see if you have something that is conflicting?

Maybe someone else can see if there is a program on your list that may be the culprit?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik57
    As a card carrying member of the S.P.R.B.A., I'm still waiting for the Cingular fix. Nice piece.
    And, while I am ranting: does anyone know for sure that there will even BE a Cingular fix? I mean if they havn't come out with one yet - why would they ever? Its not like they didn't have enough time to completely rewrite 1/2 the software on it by now.

One of my friends who is a palm developer warned me about getting a phone/pda combo. he didn't think palmos was stable enough. But I thought it would be good enough for me. Until I got my treo and it was a million times less stable than any other palm I have ever had.
    How long have you had it, if you're not past the evaluation period, then maybe you can return it?

3 months, but I didn't return it because I want to keep it, I really use it and need it, but it is so annoying because i spent so much time mucking with it, but it would be a shame not to have it. I called tech support and they told me I can exchange it under warranty any time in the first year so I think they will still let me.. Do you think I should?
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Have you tried putting one program on per day to see if you have something that is conflicting?

Maybe someone else can see if there is a program on your list that may be the culprit?
    havn't tried that yet because I use it too much. Its hard to wait that many days... but I will hard reset it and try again. Problem is all my mail settings and stuff take a while to re-configure so starting from scratch is really a pain.. but I will try it agian.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pilavdzic
    3 months, but I didn't return it because I want to keep it, I really use it and need it, but it is so annoying because i spent so much time mucking with it, but it would be a shame not to have it. I called tech support and they told me I can exchange it under warranty any time in the first year so I think they will still let me.. Do you think I should?
    I would definitely exchange it. If it's freezing up on you without having any 3rd party apps installed I would say you have a bad unit.

BTW, if you haven't already done so, I recommend going here http://www.palmfocus.com/treo650software.php and checking to ensure that the 3rd party apps you're using are compatible.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12