Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Does anyone use this type of cable to charge and sync? I was wondering how well it works, and how rugged it was. looking to cut down on the amount of stuff I have to carry with my on my trips.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I have one and it works very well as part of my travel gear. I also keep one in my workplace for quick charging of my Treo (if needed) and also to transfer files to and from my work PC directly to my SD card using CardExport 2 app (so I don't have to remove the SD from my Treo). I think it holds up well with normal usage.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    i have two and so far no complaints. seems to do well being tossed in and out of bags.
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
    Been using a Seidio for about 5 months - does the job well, stores easily. Plus you can combine it with an adapter and charge in your car too.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Yup, I got the adapter from Boxwave which allows you to charge either in your car or a wall outlet...all in one. Works well with the usb retractable sync and charge cable.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    The charge and sync cables are a great way to cut down on desktop clutter. I have one at home and another I carry in my laptop bag (both are "Minisync" branded, from boxwave).
    I've been using mine for a few weeks with no troubles. Synchs fine and charges my phone when I'm away from the home office. I carry it in the roller/computer bag and it saves a ton of space.
    My BoxWave mini sync loses connection more than 50% of the times I hot sync. I have to jam the connection into the phone real hard. I read in a thread here that this would start happening after a while, and it did. I am buying another - going to try the Seidio this time.
    I recommend you forgoe the overpriced boxwave and Seido versions and get a sync+charge off ebay. I bought a coupel for less than a dollar (added ~10 buck shipping) and they work great...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone. I was really disappointed with the cable for the 650, after having this with the 600.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
    Err...I bought mine off ebay too - brand was insten, I believe. I used it everyday for awhile...maybe a couple months...and alll of a sudden, no solid red light. I take it out to the car charger real quick and I get a solid red light. My theory is that the thin cables are not good for everyday use.

If you use this for travel purposes, it'll prolly suit you well...otherwise, I'd use another cable for everyday use (they overheat and melt, perhaps)!!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Err...I bought mine off ebay too - brand was insten, I believe. I used it everyday for awhile...maybe a couple months...and alll of a sudden, no solid red light. I take it out to the car charger real quick and I get a solid red light. My theory is that the thin cables are not good for everyday use.

If you use this for travel purposes, it'll prolly suit you well...otherwise, I'd use another cable for everyday use (they overheat and melt, perhaps)!!
    Ya, this is STRICKLY for travel use. I'm thinking I would use it for up to 3 weeks at a time. I noticed there is also an 8" one on the web site as well. I might just go with that. The flat roll up cable just makes me nervous for long term use.
    The ones I bought were unbranded and were something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...786016692&rd=1

I don't use them everyday..mostly in the car and for travel. They have held up so far...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    The ones I bought were unbranded and were something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...786016692&rd=1

I don't use them everyday..mostly in the car and for travel. They have held up so far...
    Ya, I looked at those, but going overseas next Wednesday, so I went with the one they had on treocentral and shipped it overnight.

Ebay is great when you actually do a good job of PLANNING your life.
    I have the two-foot cable from the same manufacturer as the eight inch version and it requires replugging repeatedly to get a syncable connection.
    So, Palm gives you the crappiest Y-cable for syncing & charging, forcing you to buy a REAL cable. You'll be charging/syncing everyday....why not just spend it on a long single cable and roll it up when you travel? Here's the one I just bought on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW. Haven't received it yet, but I couldn't imagine it being any less reliable than those retractable cables.

If a couple inches of space is that important to you...why not just get one of those 8", 12", or 24" cables?? I promise they'll last a lot longer. You're gonna have this phone for at least another 2 years, why not spend it on accessories that you'll be able to use everyday if necessary and resell with the phone.

If the word RETRACTABLE turns you on almost as much as the word WIRELESS does for me and you must buy one of these....JUST DON'T USE IT EVERYDAY!!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    If the word RETRACTABLE turns you on almost as much as the word WIRELESS does for me and you must buy one of these....JUST DON'T USE IT EVERYDAY!!

Not what gets the motor running for me at all really. I was going to by the 8", but treocentral was out of stock. As I said Ebay is great, but need it here Tuesday. Assuming the ampacity of the cables are the same it should do fine.

I was really asking about the sync/charge combo more than the retractable part. Could quite figure out why Palm had one for the 600 and not the 650 (or did I just miss it). Oh and by the way, thanks so very much for changing the connectors. I take it there are new features with the new style? or was the old one just lousy?
    I'm pretty sure as long as it'll sync, then it'll charge as well. The only one that won't is the stock one that Palm gives you....or, it will charge, albeit EXTREMELY slowly.

Palm stated that this new Athena connector is the "last one" they're switching too...but they've said that a couple times before. One of these days, hopefully now, it's gotta come true. The new connector's supposed to have new features like faster data/audio transfer.....what other features could a cable/connector have??
    I bough one of those 99 cent ones off ebay myself. I use it every time I have my laptop out. (I also have PDA Net, nice when im at work w/o wireless internet).

It worked perfectly for a while, but I noticed that over time you have to push harder to get it to fit correctly into the port. Now I have to hold it against the treo for it to charge and once I let go, it loses charge.

The sync I have had little issue, once or twice, but I just adjusted the plug and it worked. They should have made these with little "locking" clamp on them as an option. So you had to press the sides of the plug to release it, that would have solved all of these issues.

But what would you suggest for a good retractable one. I use it with my laptop, but I get dail usage out of it. Should I just get a shorty normal one and call it a day?
    Quote Originally Posted by elrodvoss
    It worked perfectly for a while, but I noticed that over time you have to push harder to get it to fit correctly into the port. Now I have to hold it against the treo for it to charge and once I let go, it loses charge.
    Yup, that 99 cents (plus s&h) just went down the drain.

The sync I have had little issue, once or twice, but I just adjusted the plug and it worked. They should have made these with little "locking" clamp on them as an option. So you had to press the sides of the plug to release it, that would have solved all of these issues.
    I don't believe that it's the plug. At least mine wasn't. It was the wire. I've got many adapters for this phone, and all of them work well, except for the retractable one that I tossed in the trash. The wires are just too thin for daily power usage. Feel that thin cord while it's charging and you'll burn your fingertips.

But what would you suggest for a good retractable one. I use it with my laptop, but I get dail usage out of it. Should I just get a shorty normal one and call it a day?
    Yes...you answered your own question. Don't you mean...you used to get daily usage out of it?? For daily usage, the best retractable cable is no retractable cable at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast