1.    #1  
    I sincerely apologize if this has been discussed but I could not figure out what to look under. I live in the country and am limited to dial up only (I am completely surrounded by tree's so not satellite either. Anyways, fortunately for me I have a Verizon tower very close to my home which gives me incredible signals. As soon as I received my 650 I noticed that I can actually surf the net MUCH quicker than I can at home via dial up. Is there a way for my to send my Treo 650 signal to my home computer so that I can eliminate my dial up altogther? Ideally, we would use my 650 as our home phone and as our internet portal. Right now, I have to keep my home phone service just so we can access the internet. Any suggestions is GREATLY appreciated!

Griz
    Do a search here for DUN, which stands for Dial Up Networking. As long as you have the latest firmware in your Treo you should be able to use it as a modem.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    You definitely can, however, you have to be careful about which data plan you choose. I'm not familiar with verizon's data plan offerings, however, I know cingular has a plan for phones (which most people with a treo use) a plan for PDA's and a plan for PC's. They all include unlimited data, but they're progressively more expensive. The theory is that even with an unlimited plan you'll use much more data with a PC than you would with a PDA or a phone. If you have the cheapest data plan and you use hundreds of megabytes in a month then Cingular, at least, is likely going to be unhappy. It may be the same for Verizon.

HTH,
    Brett
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    There is another option, that may or maynot be right for you.

I also have a CDMA card for my laptop (you can get an adapter if you have a desktop). This card allows internet connection over the towers. I think it is much faster than DUN over my Treo, although they are not the same service provider/technology, and thus not completely comparable.

You need to weight the cost difference between this and adding a data plan to the treo. Not sure on how that would match up.

I might also add, my CDMA card is Sprint. I am only assuming you can also get that with Verizon.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
    I'm assuming you have Verizon's National Access. Use your dial-up from home one more time to download this:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=88368

I downloaded the trial version last week and it works fantastic. I, of course just use it on my laptop when I'm not in a hot spot, but there would be no reason it wouldn't work on a pc.
    griz,
    RickMG's suggestion works... I did this a couple days ago. PDANet works GREAT... does exactly what your asking for.
    Make sure that you've signed up for Verizon's "unlimited" National Access plans. The KB's can add up quickly. Unless you're on the "unlimited" plan, they'll charge you $.008 per KB (that's about $8.00 per MB) after the first 10MB.... that can add up quickly.
    See the following page for data plans; http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...Sort&catId=329

RickMG,
    I've heard it's possible to do DUN over BT (on Win XP) *without* having to use PDANet? I have yet to figure out how. Anyone out there know how?
    Last edited by pdfruth; 06/29/2005 at 07:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdfruth
    RickMG,
    I've heard it's possible to do DUN over BT (on Win XP) *without* having to use PDANet? I have yet to figure out how. Anyone out there know how?
    I don't know. I found this link on a search (but it's for sprint)
    http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive...legal_dun.html

I don't know why anyone would want to dial up other than for cost or where National Access isn't available as I've never had a DUN on my other palm phones hook up at more than 19 kbs. I think here they're looking for faster than dialup. National Access has connected me at 190 kbs on my laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by griz
    I sincerely apologize if this has been discussed but I could not figure out what to look under. I live in the country and am limited to dial up only (I am completely surrounded by tree's so not satellite either. Anyways, fortunately for me I have a Verizon tower very close to my home which gives me incredible signals. As soon as I received my 650 I noticed that I can actually surf the net MUCH quicker than I can at home via dial up. Is there a way for my to send my Treo 650 signal to my home computer so that I can eliminate my dial up altogther? Ideally, we would use my 650 as our home phone and as our internet portal. Right now, I have to keep my home phone service just so we can access the internet. Any suggestions is GREATLY appreciated!

Griz

I would move....
    Quote Originally Posted by pdfruth

I just found the answer to my own question.
    I tried Shadowmite's BtManager hack for Verizon... It works.

See;
    http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

and;
    http://www.shadowmite.com/HowToDUN.html

DUN speeds are quite abit slower than with PDANet... but still quite adequate for checking email using the corporate email client (lotus notes) on my thinkpad/laptop
    Last edited by pdfruth; 06/30/2005 at 01:36 AM.