1.    #1  
    For instance, I had to install NotePad.prc and NotePad_enUS.prc today.

???
    English
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    then if the enUS.prc was not also installed, what would the result be?
    They are localization files. You're programs may or may not run, I'm not sure.

I believe an example of it's use would be when you type "im", and the Treo changes it to "I'm", or type "i" and it changes to "I". If you had a different language file, the rules would be different.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I believe an example of it's use would be when you type "im", and the Treo changes it to "I'm", or type "i" and it changes to "I". If you had a different language file, the rules would be different.
    No, they're static localization files. They contain localized messages used by the application. In general they don't affect the program's behavior (although programs can choose to behave differently if they specifically want to).

Some programs can run without the localization "overlay" file, some might require it. If you don't have the file, the base application probably will be in the author's native language. Usually it's English, but even if it is, the messages in the base can differ from the messages in the overlay, and the ones in the overlay are the ones you're expected to see.