Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    Original message had nice foreign encoding (high characters) - wonder if this is India, China or just really illiterate people in Silicon Valley. "Hard Reset" is the answer to everything.

===

"Thank you for contacting palmOne Technical Support. My name is Reza and I will be helping you with your issue. I understand that you are encountering a prolonged DTMF when keys are pressed on your Treo™ 650 after installing the Updater 1.13.

Josh, thank you for getting back to us again. May I know if your handheld really needs the updater? Since this problem occurred after you installed the updater it is possible that there is an incompatibility issue here. Refer to the link below for the information about the compatibility of the updater and the service carrier you have. Please be advised that GSM phones do not have any adjustment for its DTMF and it only works for CDMA phones and it is designed that way. I recommend you try to perform a hard reset but make sure that you have backed up your files because hard reset will erase all your data. my thought: yeah, right jackoff - I'm going to clear off the device to find out it doesn't do jack sh!t

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(38344)

Perform a hard reset:

Before you perform hard reset, make sure that you have backed up all your data from either your handheld or desktop. If you have an updated desktop you can proceed to performing a hard reset if not you need to perform a HotSync first to back up your data."
    When reading their response, you really need to picture Apu from the Simpsons reading it to you. That way it will seem less aggravating :-)

I hate extremely polite scripted answers that really serve no purpose and do nothing to advance a solution.

cheers,
    mike
    I have had countless meaningless responses from PalmOne support like this. Here's something that throws them into brainlock. This happened to me...no kidding:

P1: I am going to get you to reset the phone.
    Me: I already did that before I even bothered calling you.
    P1: Stunned silence for 1 minute (no exageration)
    P1: (after 1 minute) Let's do it again then
    Me: What is doing it a second time going to accomplish that doing it the first time didn't?
    P1: another whole minute of silence
    P1: (after another minute) well sir that is my solution for you. What would you like to do?

It is incredibly frustrating. It is so painfully obvious that they are reading off a script and are incapable of independent thought.
    I recently had to contact tech support for my daughters Dell MP3 player.
    No lie, 1 hour of please reset it. Ok can you try to reset it again. With pauses of 3-5 mins in between.

After 1 hour of resets, he finally says, ok I will get you a return authorization.
    I read the whole thing and I have no idea what is DTMF?
    Dual Tone Multi-Frequency (Touch Tones)
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    I have had countless meaningless responses from PalmOne support like this. Here's something that throws them into brainlock. This happened to me...no kidding:

Me: I already did that before I even bothered calling you.
    Me: What is doing it a second time going to accomplish that doing it the first time didn't?
    P1: (after another minute) well sir that is my solution for you. What would you like to do?

It is incredibly frustrating. It is so painfully obvious that they are reading off a script and are incapable of independent thought.
    When they say to reset it I would politely tell them to hang on as this will take awhile, wait 3 seconds and tell them that it has been reset and is doing the same thing. They have probably never seen a Treo 650, have no idea how long a reset takes and will move on to the next step. (which is probably to ask you to reset again while standing on one foot)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    When they say to reset it I would politely tell them to hang on as this will take awhile, wait 3 seconds and tell them that it has been reset and is doing the same thing. They have probably never seen a Treo 650, have no idea how long a reset takes and will move on to the next step. (which is probably to ask you to reset again while standing on one foot)

Right or left? I might have done it incorrectly the first 17 times.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsTheFly
    Right or left? I might have done it incorrectly the first 17 times.
    Are you in North or South hemisphere?
    "Your other left!" :-)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    At least you guys GET a response!
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  12. tmt
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    This is what we call "level 1 tech support". Your single goal when speaking to level 1 tech support is to get them to escalate you to level 2 tech support. It is quite likely that your single goal then will be to get to level 3 tech support.

Remember - you need to get off their script. This means folowing their instructions until they run out of script. It pretty much doesn't matter where "Reza" is - just remember Reza owns the button that says "escalate".

Oh, and another thing, don't let Reza hang up. You'll have to start over.
    Quote Originally Posted by lindros2
    Original message had nice foreign encoding (high characters) - wonder if this is India, China or just really illiterate people in Silicon Valley. "Hard Reset" is the answer to everything.

===

"Thank you for contacting palmOne Technical Support. My name is Reza
    Reza is an Iranian name. California is chock full of Iranians (and everyone else!)
    Reboot.
    Reboot.
    Reboot.
    (Hmmm...just like Windows)
    Quote Originally Posted by pentatonic145
    Reza is an Iranian name. California is chock full of Iranians (and everyone else!)
    And if her name was Puerto Rican, we could assume she's from New York. *KIDDING!*
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    Does anyone know the Muffin Man?
    Maybe answering all questions with random nouns would be fun.
    Me: Coconuts.
    Me: Lark's Vomit
    Me: Basketball!

Ok, so that'd get you hung up on. It DOES work to get the gawd awful Charter Cable VRU to transfer you to a human...
    VRU: "Unplug your cable modem and then off your PC. When you are done, say 'Done'"
    Me: "Coconuts"
    VRU: "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that. When you are done, say 'Done'"
    Me: "Lark's Vomit"....
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robbalazs
    Maybe answering all questions with random nouns would be fun.
    Me: Coconuts.
    Me: Lark's Vomit
    Me: Basketball!

Ok, so that'd get you hung up on. It DOES work to get the gawd awful Charter Cable VRU to transfer you to a human...
    VRU: "Unplug your cable modem and then off your PC. When you are done, say 'Done'"
    Me: "Coconuts"
    VRU: "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that. When you are done, say 'Done'"
    Me: "Lark's Vomit"....

Thats Hilarious... Tell me, what is Larks Vomit?
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Thats Hilarious... Tell me, what is Larks Vomit?
    http://www.wizardnews.com/story.200310272.html

Just keep reading, it's in there.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    randrom nouns mean nothing.

Airplane! the movie, on the other hand................

[I give up w/ p1.india.pakistan.eastAfrica.org support]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast