1.    #1  
    I am headed Down Under for a few weeks, and I am afraid of suffering Treo withdrawel.

I have a Sprint Treo 650. Does anyone know if there is a CDMA network that is compatible there? There wasn't last time I was there, so no high hopes.

Which gets to the ultimate question -- anyone know of a way to rent an unlocked GSM version for a few weeks or a month?
    BC
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I am about 99% sure it is not. Sprint however will rent you an international phone. Last time I was there, I used Nextel (not GSM, but works), and I think they probably send you one of those.

You can also rent locally. I think Vodaphone was the big supplier there. Have fun, it's a cool place, and if you get a chance to get to New Zealand, Take it.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
    Telstra in Australia does have a CDMA network but it operates off a different frequency than here in the USA. Your best bet is a tri or quad band GSM phone.
    They must operate on either 800 or 1900 (like North America) for CDMA because they are selling the Nokia 6225 (which Sprint used to sell) so your Treo should be able to roam there. Whether Sprint has an agreement with them and how much it will cost is another thing entirely. I suggest you call the international department at Sprint and ask.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/mob...lect.cfm?tR=3m
    They must operate on either 800 or 1900 (like North America) for CDMA because they are selling the Nokia 6225 (which Sprint used to sell) so your Treo should be able to roam there.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/mob...lect.cfm?tR=3m

Whether Sprint has an agreement with them and how much it will cost is another thing entirely. I suggest you call the international department at Sprint and ask.
    I live in Australia and if I found out that it is possible to get a Treo 650 CDMA from another country to work here, I would order one straight away from USA.

The CDMA coverage accross rural areas is far greater than GSM here.
    Telstra does not have a roaming agreement with Sprint. I was doing some work for Telstra and asked one of their execs this very question and was told that my Sprint CDMA would not work on their network.