Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I just bought a Treo 650 on ebay this week, and I am hoping to activate the phone in the next few days. I got a great deal on the phone b/c it is a new SPRINT phone set up with Verizon programming. Which is good, because I am a Verizon customer.

But I have been told (by Shadowmite) to not mention the SPRINT-ness of the phone when calling to activate it. I am just curious if anyone has gone through this and might have any tips. Is it a smooth operation? Can they tell it's not a VZW phone in anyway?

I'm just nervous and want it to go smoothly. I am nervous enough about buying a phone to activate over Ebay, but now doubly so with it being a hybrid.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Kai-
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    So, has no one ever done this? It seems like I have seen reference on here before from people who have taken a SPRINT phone and converted it to use on a VZW network. Does it go smoothly, then? Have I nothing to worry about?

thanks again
    Kai-
    I just did this and it's not a problem at all. You need to tell them you have an old model phone... pick a make and model. I still am having a data issue though and have had no luck getting it resolved. I receive a ppp timeout error whenever I try to make a data connection. From what I have found I may have bought a bad unit on EBay. I am working with the seller to try an resolve the issue.

Customer Service will say the phone isn't in their system. They might ask if it is a Verizon phone. I said yes it is but I don't think it had ever been activated before. They said okay and activated it.

Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Thanks a ton. That relieves quite a bit of worry I have been having.

Are you not able to just tell them it is a Treo 650? If I say I have a Treo that I bought off of Ebay that I want to activate, will they know the difference?

Thanks for your help.
    Kai-
    Yes, they have a database of current Verizon Treo 650 ESN numbers. If you say you have their Treo 650, then they will know it is not true. They don't have Sprint-branded ESN numbers. Go for an old phone that can connect to the internet like the Kyocera 7135. Like Shadowmite said, don't mention anything about it being a Sprint phone.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    It worked. I activated this afternoon. I told them it was an Audiovox 9100. There were some issues during setup.

The CSR told me she couldn't activate the phone because it wasn't coming up. Then she said it wouldn't work b/c my phone was only analog and i had a digital plan. I told her, "nope. this phone does digital." She called somebody else and they "forced it through".

It all went through on my first try with my first CSR. I was nervous for no reason. It has been working perfectly. I have not activated any type of data access, though. That is by choice. I don't want a plan. I just don't want to carry a phone and a pda anymore. This seemed a logical choice.

I hope this helps others activate phones.

Kai-
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaivorb
    It worked. I activated this afternoon. I told them it was an Audiovox 9100. There were some issues during setup.

The CSR told me she couldn't activate the phone because it wasn't coming up. Then she said it wouldn't work b/c my phone was only analog and i had a digital plan. I told her, "nope. this phone does digital." She called somebody else and they "forced it through".

It all went through on my first try with my first CSR. I was nervous for no reason. It has been working perfectly. I have not activated any type of data access, though. That is by choice. I don't want a plan. I just don't want to carry a phone and a pda anymore. This seemed a logical choice.

I hope this helps others activate phones.

Kai-
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP. They won't do the Audiovox story.
    I know they changed something in June with a ESN database or whatever. Can this still be done??????????? I am so frustrated.