1.    #1  
    When I sync my 650 to my pc everything goes fine until my pc progress displays "Installing Handheld Applications". At this time, my treo doesn not display that status. It usually says "syncing tasks" or "calendar" or something like that. I always end up having to force quit my pc hotsyncapplication and reset my treo. I have nothing in my quick install que. Please help.
    The first thing to check is your Backup (or System) conduit -determine whether its action is correctly set. Right click the Hotsync Manager icon in your Program tray, choose Custom and make sure that the DEFAULT action of your Backup (or System) conduit is "Handheld overwrites desktop".

If that wasn't the problem, then there are a couple of places from which files could be installed. Launch Windows Explorer and, assuming your Palm desktop was installed in C:\Program Files\Palm, look in:

C:\Program Files\<your username>\Install
    C:\Program Files\<your username>\CardInst\Slot-SD
    C:\Program Files\<your username>\QuickInstall\ExpCard
    C:\Program Files\<your username>\QuickInstall\Handheld
  3.    #3  
    OK - I was able to get that to stop for a bit. Then I decided i wanted to install something. i put a prc in my quick install que and began a sync. Now my treo says "synchronizing memos" and my desktop hotsync app says "installing handheld applications". This is just hanging here......... help
    Quote Originally Posted by madebynick
    OK - I was able to get that to stop for a bit. Then I decided i wanted to install something. i put a prc in my quick install que and began a sync. Now my treo says "synchronizing memos" and my desktop hotsync app says "installing handheld applications". This is just hanging here......... help
    What are you installing? If it's a large file, it'll take some time.
  5.    #5  
    FileZ.prc - 181.92kb

Should it take longer than 2 minutes on a USB cable?
  6.    #6  
    and shouldn't my 650 say "installinh handheld apps" as well? it seems really strange that the dektop & handheld don't report the same actions simultaneously.
    Clear the file out of your QuickInstall and sync again. Is HotSync able to finish? If so, paste your HotSync log in your reply.
  8.    #8  
    No luck. I cleared all the places you suggested as well as my QuickIstall que.

PC:
    HOTSYNC PROGRESS
    User: Nick's Treo 650 (profile)

TREO:
    HOTSYNC
    Synchronizing Memos

It's just hanging there.
    Quote Originally Posted by madebynick
    No luck. I cleared all the places you suggested as well as my QuickIstall que.

PC:
    HOTSYNC PROGRESS
    User: Nick's Treo 650 (profile)

TREO:
    HOTSYNC
    Synchronizing Memos

It's just hanging there.
    Did you check the action of your Backup (or System) conduit?
  10.    #10  
    Yup - handheld overwrites
    Change the action of the "Install", "Install Service Templates" and "Install to Card" conduits to "Do Nothing"; does Hotsync work now?
  12.    #12  
    Yup. It works when I disable the install functions:

HotSync operation started for Nick's Treo 650 on 06/29/05 11:56:23

Install - sync configured to Do Nothing
    OK Quick Install
    OK VersaMail
    OK Media
    Outlook Calendar
    - Recovery Sync
    OK Outlook Calendar
    Outlook Contacts
    - Recovery Sync
    OK Outlook Contacts
    Outlook Tasks
    - Desktop overwrite HH Sync
    OK Outlook Tasks
    Outlook Notes
    - Recovery Sync
    OK Outlook Notes

HotSync operation completed on 06/29/05 11:57:04
    If you're sure that the directories I listed above are empty (make sure...if there is more than one username directory, you may have been looking at one whose name is close to the one you actually use and so missed looking in yours), then there is something wrong with your Install conduit. If that's the case, you should reinstall Palm Desktop from the CD.
    If the hotsync is hanging on tasks etc, it means that one of your palm DB's has been corrupted. I had a similar problem with my 650 that was causing it to hang on contacts. I fixed the problem as described the the link below:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...45&postcount=7

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm having the exact same problem with my Treo 650 and Palm Desktop 6.0. I am a software developer and this has been severely hampering my ability to support these newer devices. I have posted an article on the Palm Conduit Developer Forum here: http://news.palmos.com/read/messages?id=192889 (registration required)

I've narrowed the scenario down to this:
    Install anything using the QuickInstall tool.
    HotSync
    If you have any third-party conduit installed and that conduit attempts to queue additional files for installation during the course of the HotSync, the Installer conduit will fail on its second/last time running. HSM reads "Installing handheld applications" and the Palm reads whatever conduit it successfully synced last. It will hang forever if left alone. If you're syncing via wifi or bluetooth, the network might time out and the Palm might exit, but HSM will stick there. Via USB, it hangs forever (or at least as long as I had the patience to wait, which was a very long time).

The Palm Installer conduit is run twice during a HotSync. It is run once before all other conduits, and it is run again after all conduits (though before the backup conduit, I think). It is the second run that is failing.

On the Conduit Dev Forum, there's someone there who I believe is from Palm and mentioned that he reproduced this behavior and entered the problem into their bug tracker. Their bug tracker is closed and so I cannot monitor the situation, except to request updates weekly on the forum.

I am not sure what other avenues I have available here to get this problem fixed by Palm. I've received a handful of "me too's" from other developers experiencing similar problems. We are all somewhat screwed here, because we can't deploy a conduit that functions under HSM 6.01 and which also queues files for installation during sync by calling the standard install APIs provided by Palm in their Conduit Developer Kits.

I've got another problem in that if HSM hangs once, it will not function properly until I reboot(!). I've searched the TaskManager and killed every instance of HotSync.exe and the QuickInstall.exe I can find. I can't find any other Palm-provided process running. I've completely cleaned out all install directories of all files. Nevertheless, HSM hangs the next time it is run even though install queues are empty. There must be some information being stored in the Registry or in some config file somewhere that HSM is getting hung up on.

I've gone hardcore and even tried using SysInternals' FileMon and RegMon to monitor accesses/reads/writes to files and the registry looking for the culprit file that HSM might be getting stuck on, to no avail. I just don't know where it's happening.

Any suggestions?