View Poll Results: Which do you prefer

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Letter Boxed

8 66.67%
  • Pan and Scan

4 33.33%
  1.    #1  
    When "making" a movie to view on your Treo, do you leave it at Letter Boxed, or do you Pan and scan it?

I do letterboxed.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    letterboxed
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    You'd need really specialized software to do a true pan and scan off of a letterboxed movie. Not to mention scouring every frame for the most action. You can however set up static generic cropping. If I can't get a full screen movie, I'll just crop it.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    OAR all the way.
    pardon my ignorance. Can you explain the difference?

Simon
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by weitzman@intern

Simon
    if im wrong some one will correct me.

aspect ratio is the difference.

a movie is filmed to show on the big screen, usually a rectangular screen (16:9 for example).

back in the olden days, to show the same movie on TV (a less rectangular device (4:3)), the studios would pan and scan it. basically showing you less of the movie. a lot of the egdes were removed. in scenes where two ppl were speaking and couldnt fit in a 4:3 screen, they would pan to show the other person talking.

on tv, it would look like the camara was moving back and forth depending on who was talking, but the same scene in a movie theatre, the camara didnt move because both actors were on the screen at the same time.

with ppl collecting laserdiscs and wanting a "truer" movie experience, the studios would of release two versions. a letterbox (black bars on the top and bottom) and a pan and scan version. They use to do the same when DVD first came out (usually on the same disk). I dont see this happening much any more. they all seem to come letterboxed.

Pocket dvd lets u rip a movie in the aspect ration it came with, or to "crop" it so that it better fits on yout treo screen.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weitzman@intern

Simon
    http://www.rexer.com/cine/oar.htm
    With the tiny screen on the treo, I don't want to give up 40% of the screen real estate to have letterbox format. Renting the pan and scan version and rip it works better than ripping my own copy of letterbox formats. Because you are correct, doing your own pan and scan is just past not worth it.