Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have the locked cingular 650. When I upgraded the rom to 1.28, my side button no longer mutes the ringer. It did before the rom upgrade. I dont have any new 3rd party apps installed. I know for sure it has something to do with the rom update. I hope someone out here figures out how to fix it.

I used that feature all the time.
    Butlers volume button feature is not enabled.
    This problem is extremely bothersome to me for some reason.

Like everyone else, the side buttons silenced the incoming ring properly with the stock, locked Cingular 650. Actually, the keypad buttons did as well, and that's what I usually used since the Treo is usually in my pocket.

After the update to ROW 1.28, no buttons silence the ring. No, I don't want to use the mute switch to temporarily mute the ring. No, I don't want to ignore the call.

Some have mentioned the issue could be fixed in a Cingular branded patch. I think it's over-optimistic to think that Cingular even has incentive to release a new 650 patch, and that they'll address this even if or when they do. Given that, do we have any indication that Palm is aware of the issue?
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    >Given that, do we have any indication that Palm is aware of the issue?

I'm gonna go with "no" since I've been shouting from the treetops about this problem (to palm) since I got my unlocked 650 in february, to no avail.

There's a giant, impenetrable wall around palm (in the form of tech support) that prevents actual issues from getting to actual developers.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mportune
    >Given that, do we have any indication that Palm is aware of the issue?

I'm gonna go with "no" since I've been shouting from the treetops about this problem (to palm) since I got my unlocked 650 in february, to no avail.

There's a giant, impenetrable wall around palm (in the form of tech support) that prevents actual issues from getting to actual developers.
    One way I think to get around this "wall" would be to hope or request to some mobile magazine to do an article about lack of tech support in high tech companies and hope that Palm is in the list ( at least highlight the issues we are having with their type of tech support).

I tried this once with Nextel, but couldnt get any responses.

rob
    I'm sure you've noticed it by now, RobM; my favorite fix in the CNG 1.31 patch is that the ability to silence the incoming call has been restored.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    So now everything is back to normal, and those of use with the unlocked GSM are the only ones who are screwed, as it should be. God I love the 650. Have I mentioned I can no longer hotsync, either? heheh pure comedy.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdiaz
    I'm sure you've noticed it by now, RobM; my favorite fix in the CNG 1.31 patch is that the ability to silence the incoming call has been restored.
    Actually, mine is still not working, but then again that may be due in part to Ringo, which I have heard from others is one issue.

I will uninstall ringo to see what happens

I hope you are right

rob
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Actually, mine is still not working, but then again that may be due in part to Ringo, which I have heard from others is one issue.

I will uninstall ringo to see what happens

I hope you are right

rob
    FWIW, the side buttons to silence the ringer is working for me with the new Cingular firmware. Unfortunately the new Cingular firmware broke the ability for the treo to change the brightness of the keyboard. Now I'm trying to decide which option I like better... silencing the ringer or the variable keyboard brightness. I think silencing the ringer is winning.

Brett
    Ahhh I've found the people with my issue!
    I'm from the treo 270 where you just press the button to temporarily mute the ringer, now on the unlocked GSM I have to use the slider, which I invariably forget to put back to ringer mode - most annoying!
    FIX THIS PLEASE!
    It seems that at least with the GSM version, the side buttons do not silence the ringer. Is there anyone out there that can create a program or hack or whatever to fix this option that I use to have on my outdated and less sophisticated T600?

please let us all know.

if anyone has the side buttons working...please let us know so that maybe we can figure out what is different about your phone.

rob
    On my Sprint 650, using TreoGaurd, I enabled "side button". When a call come in that I don't want to answer, I tap the small side button. The Treo does not ignore the call, but simply silences the ringer.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeman
    On my Sprint 650, using TreoGaurd, I enabled "side button". When a call come in that I don't want to answer, I tap the small side button. The Treo does not ignore the call, but simply silences the ringer.
    We're well aware of the fact that this works on CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) phones as well as Cingular phones. The problem is for unlocked GSM phones (or GSM phones with the unlocked firmware).

Brett
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeman
    I was just looking at it over at smartphonetools...where exactly is that feature and what is it called?

thanks..

rob
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I was just looking at it over at smartphonetools...where exactly is that feature and what is it called?

thanks..

rob
    I use TreoGuard too, but it won't do what you want. It's designed to disable some (or all) buttons on the phone when the phone rings. I use it so I don't accidently answer calls by hitting the space bar as I take the phone out of it's holster. TreoGuard gives you the option to selectively enable or disable buttons including the side button. Enabling (well... technically, not disabling) the side button simply means that it will work normally when the phone is ringing. If you have an unlocked GSM firmware then it still won't silence the ringer.

Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdiaz
    Hmmm...if this is so, then the fix is in the Software piece of the update, not the Firmware. I've just updated my unlocked GSM T650 with the 01.31 Firmware only (my software is still 1.13) and the Volume-button-silence-incoming-call feature isn't there.
    Has anyone else noticed that touching the screen anywhere but the two displayed buttons does what everyone is talking about (silence the ringer w/o sending the call to VM), or is it just my phone (Locked Cingular not updated with ringo and butler).
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nick_l
    Has anyone else noticed that touching the screen anywhere but the two displayed buttons does what everyone is talking about (silence the ringer w/o sending the call to VM), or is it just my phone (Locked Cingular not updated with ringo and butler).
    I hadn't noticed that (nor do I know if it works with my phone), but the reason I want this to work with the side buttons is because I keep my treo in a holster. When the phone is in the holster the side buttons are the only buttons that are accessable. If I'm standing and talking to someone I want to be able to quickly reach down and mute the call but still allow me the opportunity to pick up the phone and answer it once I finish my sentance.

Brett
    Time for a CDMA user to chime in... =) I have a VZW w/a custom 1.03 based ROM. Everything worked as advertised until I installed Ringo Pro. I was embarassed when I couldn't mute the ringer like i could for the last several month on my 650 or for the last year on my 600. Finally uninstalled it today and now I can mute the ringer once again!!

On that note, does anyone know of a program that will let me assign a ringer to each contact category (i.e. family, work) that actually works on the Treo 650?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    FWIW, the side buttons to silence the ringer is working for me with the new Cingular firmware. Unfortunately the new Cingular firmware broke the ability for the treo to change the brightness of the keyboard. Now I'm trying to decide which option I like better... silencing the ringer or the variable keyboard brightness. I think silencing the ringer is winning.

Brett
    Are you saying that the 1.31 firmware only prevents the keyboard backlight (not also the screen) from dimming? If not, won't something like PocketProtector+ or TreoGuard fix this? (Note that I have also left you a reply question on another thread where you mention that the 1.31 firmware fixes the volume button ringer silencer problem - thanks for your help!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    Treoguard can do that.
    http://www.geakware.com/treoguard/
    I have TreoGuard I can not find this option
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast