Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62
  1. #21  
    I have an unlocked GSM 650 using Tmobile. I am using LightWav and it does allow the volume keys to silence the ring (no special settings). You can use Midi or MP3, wav etc for the ringers. I use the all the time and understand your frustration. Hope that helps.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    I have an unlocked GSM 650 using Tmobile. I am using LightWav and it does allow the volume keys to silence the ring (no special settings). You can use Midi or MP3, wav etc for the ringers. I use the all the time and understand your frustration. Hope that helps.
    But are you running 1.28/1.13???
    [tony]
  3. #23  
    I have a Cingular Locked GSM Treo 650 and I use the volume buttons on the side to mute calls all the time. I am using the original firmware that came with it.
  4. RobM's Avatar
    Posts
    477 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu
    I have a Cingular Locked GSM Treo 650 and I use the volume buttons on the side to mute calls all the time. I am using the original firmware that came with it.
    Now we need to figure out what is different with your phone than mine..otherwise my phone has been defective all this time...

    rob
  5. vebix's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Now we need to figure out what is different with your phone than mine..otherwise my phone has been defective all this time...
    He said he's using the original firmware. You're using the unlocked 1.28 firmware on a cingular-branded 650, right? The unlocked firmware has always had this problem, old and new. I have no doubt in my mind that when the Cingular branded firmware is released, you'll get this functionality back. (Those of us with actual unbranded 650's however, are screwed until palm gets their act together.)
  6. RobM's Avatar
    Posts
    477 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
       #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mportune
    He said he's using the original firmware. You're using the unlocked 1.28 firmware on a cingular-branded 650, right? The unlocked firmware has always had this problem, old and new. I have no doubt in my mind that when the Cingular branded firmware is released, you'll get this functionality back. (Those of us with actual unbranded 650's however, are screwed until palm gets their act together.)
    I was using the branded Cingular Locked original firmware that came with the phone and it did not work. I am using still a locked Cingular with the ROW Firmware 1.28 and still have the same problem...the upgrade did not fix the issue where as I had the issue before hand as well so no change
  7. vebix's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    #27  
    Hmm, interesting. You're the first person I've seen who said it didn't work on the original cingular firmware either. I always heard this was an unlocked GSM issue only. Does your volume control work at all? (just to rule out hardware failure)

    If it works ok, maybe another app is interfering? Cuz I swear other Cingular users have said it was fine on the original firmware.
  8. RobM's Avatar
    Posts
    477 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
       #28  
    My volume rocker works just fine in that fashion...but not to silence the ringer.

    any ideas of the culprit would be greatly appreciated

    rob
  9. vebix's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    #29  
    Unfortunately I have no idea. I gave up looking on mine (unlocked GSM) once I realized it really was a bug in the firmware. (If you're bored you could always hard-reset then test each app one-by-one to find the culprit.)
  10. #30  
    I have Cingular locked with original firmware 1.05 and my side buttons silence the ringer for about 2 seconds and then the ringtone restarts again from the beginning.

    I disabled: Call Shield, VolKeys, and Volume Care.

    Enable Call Shield and I get no mute at all.
    VolumeCare and Volkeys don't have any affect.

    I do remember when I first got the phone, I was annoyed that I couldn't silence the ringer with the side buttons as I could with my old Moto phone. I don't believe the cause is another app, just inherent to the phone/firmware??
    CNG Locked 650.

    Life is a lesson, you learn it when you're through.
  11. RobM's Avatar
    Posts
    477 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
       #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finhead
    I have Cingular locked with original firmware 1.05 and my side buttons silence the ringer for about 2 seconds and then the ringtone restarts again from the beginning.

    I disabled: Call Shield, VolKeys, and Volume Care.

    Enable Call Shield and I get no mute at all.
    VolumeCare and Volkeys don't have any affect.

    I do remember when I first got the phone, I was annoyed that I couldn't silence the ringer with the side buttons as I could with my old Moto phone. I don't believe the cause is another app, just inherent to the phone/firmware??
    My phone reacts exactly the same...so I am not crazy after all...I just wish someone would right a little hack to fix this issue...

    rob
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    bretts: please tell me why you don't want to just use the mute switch made for this?
    I don't like it when I call people back and they say 'you refused my call'...
    Honestly curious
    See, there's two kinds of methods for silencing the call (or at least there are in theory since mine won't do two). If you chosse "Ignore" that pops up on the Treo screen when a call comes in, that sends the call straight to voice mail and the caller knows you interacted with the device to deal with their call. The other method should just turn off the tones on the device leaving the caller unaware you ever even knew their call came in, I think just pressing end on most phones does this, but the 650 says in the manual this is supposed to work.

    I don't want an app to do this, I want a hack I might put in a GSM ROM
    and just make the phone think it should work that way. Kind of like the way Shadow enabled DUN for sprint, removed ## in front of that option somewhere in the OS. I know I'm dreaming. I really can't believe this was not addressed in 1.28 .
  13. vebix's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    #33  
    It's definitely a bug, in the true sense of the word. (as opposed to a feature that was left out) Every Treo (180, 270, 300, 600) has supported this feature. The 650 is supposed to as well (see attached page from the 650 manual) but doesn't...
    Attached Images Attached Images
  14. #34  
    It is 1.28
  15. RobM's Avatar
    Posts
    477 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
       #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by mportune
    It's definitely a bug, in the true sense of the word. (as opposed to a feature that was left out) Every Treo (180, 270, 300, 600) has supported this feature. The 650 is supposed to as well (see attached page from the 650 manual) but doesn't...
    This is exactly how I would like it to work...as advertised, but it does not and dont know why it was left out either...

    Was just hoping that maybe someone out there could address it in another way

    just hoping I guess...seems like such a small thing for Palm and not sure why we are still talking about it...it should be addressed

    rob
  16. #36  
    RobM...I know exactly and share your frustration! I too found this to be a nuisance when I upgraded from the T600 to the T650 (unlocked GSM). I posted a note expressing my gripe back in March: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=dlstang (see item #7)...

    ...and NO one has been helpful, much less no what I was talking about!

    I have also done the firmware update and it has not cured the problem!!!

    We should address this problem directly to PalmOne & make them aware.
    Last edited by dlstang; 06/29/2005 at 11:59 AM.
    - Treo often imitated; never duplicated!
  17. #37  
    This feature worked fine for me (Cingular branded, locked, original firmware) until I added butler into the mix, so I do not think it is a Palm problem, but interaction with some other program(s).
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by nick_l
    This feature worked fine for me (Cingular branded, locked, original firmware) until I added butler into the mix, so I do not think it is a Palm problem, but interaction with some other program(s).
    Sounds like you may have enabled Butler's Volume Buttons feature; disable it - does the original function return?
  19. vebix's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlstang
    We should address this problem directly to PalmOne & make them aware.
    hahah - sorry. I don't know about anyone else, but I've already tried like a madman to get this info to palm, and I'm always stopped at the gates by Giovanni 1.0b (the support person whom I no longer believe is human) and the info never gets to the people who can make a difference.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by nick_l
    This feature worked fine for me (Cingular branded, locked, original firmware) until I added butler into the mix, so I do not think it is a Palm problem, but interaction with some other program(s).
    Look, on my unlocked, brand new, bought it the first day they posted for sale Palm Treo 650 out of the box if you turn on the phone radio and call it, you cannot silence the ring with any button on the side of the phone. 3rd party apps may play a role in affecting the behavior on the Cingular firmware, but there is no doubt that on the Unbranded (or Palm branded) 650 this just simply does not work.

    If you are just diagnosing your issue then yes I agree it was Butler. If you're trying to diagnose the problem globally by saying it's a third party app then in the case of the Unlocked GSM you are definitely mistaken. This IS a Palm problem for the unlocked folks. After I tried 1.23 this was really the only reason I did the official download, I hoped to get this feature without having to add yet another app to do basic phone things (added volume care and profiles for a total of $9, Jeff's VC is great on the early release version and Profiles is free app that integrates right into your pref menu).
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions