1.    #1  
    WHEN the official cingular update comes out will i be able to go from 1.13 to it. Or is it not possible. Thanks
    You will probably not be able to upgrade from 1.13 to Cingular without some effort. Based upon what I have seen here and on MTDN I would not say it is impossible.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  3.    #3  
    Is this the truth or can anyone else say something different????
    If you want something official, you'll have to call Cingular and ask.
    Take the plunge - I did it
    Officially, Cingular will not support upgrading a non-Cingular ROM phone. This is based on past experience.

Based on what some on this board have been able to do with the updates when they come out, it wouldn't suprise me if someone "modified" the Cingular update to work off an SD card with an update program that didn't check whether you had a Cingular ROM or not.

However, this should be a lesson for those (of us ) who like to screw around with non-official, beta and "modified" stuff - we do so at our own risk. Ain't it fun though?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    The upgrade is fairly simple as long as you follow all the steps...a bit time consuming but not hard at all....
    you can always play stupid, say u had no idea - and since u were having so many issues with the phone crashing, poor call quality, bluetooth issues, etc. (as I did) and say u thought that doing this update was what u had to do in order to make it work (which in my case it did in fact solve all those issues).

I mean there has GOT to be a way, for christ sake its a little computer - its firmware, and if someone can figure out how to crack Macrovision encoding and/or every other piece of software known to man (not to mention putting those robot things on mars) then I think its safe to say that, there is SOME method of backing out of whatever "mistakes" cingular claims we made, if nothing else (IF we ever want to go back to their firmware version) * i'm sure eventually they'll start to offer the insurance on these things (since the price has gone down so f'in much <- i had one of the first in the country @ $500 bucks with the 1.04 firmware on it) - at which time u can add it on, then proceed to spike the treo into the ground destroying it (after a backup of course) and tell then make up a creative story to explain the situation to get a new one for the $50 deductible and - well, hardware back to stock.
    upgrading a cingular locked branded phone to 1.28.

First you will need to download the 1.23 update.
    1st backup and then do a hard reset.
    Then install the 1.23 FW upgrade.
    The run download and run tokenwriter....
    Once it is installed you type
    write crnm ROW
    then hit enter key.
    Then download 1.13 installer which has the 1.28 FW.
    RUn the installer with a different user name so the hotsync will not
    re-install backed up files. Once 1.28 is installed do another hard reset
    and then use the old user name (hotsyncID).
    THen reinstall apps.
    Just make sure the SD card is out when installing 1.23.
    For whatever reason it doesn't like the card in when installing.
    I put 1.23 on a card using a Card reader. then moved to ROM.

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,13681.0.html
    link for 1.23

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,13410.0.html
    Link for info on the rest of the update...

http://mytreo.net/treofaq/TreoFaqHome

link for knowledge base to rad how to do all this...

Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by cen3
    you can always play stupid, say u had no idea - and since u were having so many issues with the phone crashing, poor call quality, bluetooth issues, etc. (as I did) and say u thought that doing this update was what u had to do in order to make it work (which in my case it did in fact solve all those issues).

I mean there has GOT to be a way, for christ sake its a little computer - its firmware, and if someone can figure out how to crack Macrovision encoding and/or every other piece of software known to man (not to mention putting those robot things on mars) then I think its safe to say that, there is SOME method of backing out of whatever "mistakes" cingular claims we made, if nothing else (IF we ever want to go back to their firmware version) * i'm sure eventually they'll start to offer the insurance on these things (since the price has gone down so f'in much <- i had one of the first in the country @ $500 bucks with the 1.04 firmware on it) - at which time u can add it on, then proceed to spike the treo into the ground destroying it (after a backup of course) and tell then make up a creative story to explain the situation to get a new one for the $50 deductible and - well, hardware back to stock.
    Moderator: How about editing/removing this post for offensive/ignorant language?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Offensive language? Where? "F'in?' Please, lighten up.

In any case, after careful consideration I decided to take the plunge and go for the generic update and here is why I did it. Cingular support of the Treo is spotty at best. Half the time they cannot even understand the difference between plans that will work on the Treo. Their update schedule is glacial at best and their firmware disables important features (DUN) while adding a bunch of crap that I don't need. So as long as I am going to be self-supporting (which I pretty much am, thanks to the awesome community here) I might as well go with the firmware that is going to be more flexible. At this point the only thing I can rely on Cingular for is hardware exchanges (which they will honor, even with alternate firmware on it--I've done that already) and their services. Every time I have called them about a question they have referred me to Palm anyway. 99.99% of the time I get better results here faster anyway. Once I unlocked DUN (which I do not use BTW--DUN remains off) I found I was able to send files freely to and from my phone from my Mac (which did not work when the phone had Cingular firmware on it.)

So in the final analysis I could not find a downside to the upgrade. The phone is now more stable, louder, and much more fun to use than it ever was. About the only thing I miss is the little Cingular guy greeting me when the phone is turned on. Sure I won't be able to update with Cingular FW (unless Shadowmite comes through with a Cingular updater) but so what? Support is only support when they actually SUPPORT you. N'Cest Pas?
    Last edited by ediamond; 06/28/2005 at 09:12 AM. Reason: correct typos
    Quote Originally Posted by ediamond
    N'Cest Pas?
    N'est-ce pas?
    Alexander Burke
    Hardware hacker and all-around technogeek