1.    #1  
    I dropped my Treo 650 the other day, and now the "Enter" key has completely lost its tactile springiness and worse -- the key will be activated at the slightest touch. When the Treo is in my belt case and I get a phone call, I can't pull it out to see who's calling without the Enter key being brushed and answering the call. I can no longer avoid people I don't want to talk to!

Does anyone know if it is even remotely feasible to take apart the Treo 650 to attempt to repair the keyboard? Would Sprint be able to fix something like this?

David
    Did you opt for the insurance?

There is a "how to" thread(step by step w/pics) on removing the camera from the 650. These pics will give you and idea how the 650 comes apart. How to fix the enter key is another matter. I don't think the Sprint stores have a repair desk in back, but no harm in asking. Of course, taking it apart will void any remaining warranty you might have . . . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...camera+removal

Good Luck!
    Same thing happened to me and it was the "P" key. Nothing like trying to type a message with ppppppppppppppppppppp appearing. Lets keep each other informed if we find a solution.
    Just happened to mine but it was the shift key, luckily they are two so I just opened it up and cut the right one out so it no longer works.

If there is no springynes its not coming back.. Try and find a used keyboard (not the rubber part the electrical part underneath.)
    FWIW, Butler's Phone Keyguard function will stop the Space, Delete or Enter keys from answering or hanging up on calls.
  6.    #6  
    Wow, thanks for all the replies!

Perry: Yes, I did opt for the $5/mo insurance from Sprint. I was assuming that this was just for theft, but I don't really know. I'll have to check into that.

chris86vw: Ah, thanks for the information about the loss of springiness. I'll keep my eye out for spare 650 parts on ebay.

Bill: Whoa! I just installed Butler, and this software solution may be just what I need to live with my lame Enter key (until Palm releases the next Treo model and I upgrade!). Thanks for pointing this out.

David
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Isn't your phone under warranty? Just take it in, bitc* a little, and get a new one.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    David,

Did you have any success finding a replacement keyboard? I have a non-springy shift key that I'd rather replace then not use.

Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by simmons
    Wow, thanks for all the replies!

Perry: Yes, I did opt for the $5/mo insurance from Sprint. I was assuming that this was just for theft, but I don't really know. I'll have to check into that.

chris86vw: Ah, thanks for the information about the loss of springiness. I'll keep my eye out for spare 650 parts on ebay.

Bill: Whoa! I just installed Butler, and this software solution may be just what I need to live with my lame Enter key (until Palm releases the next Treo model and I upgrade!). Thanks for pointing this out.

David
    I'll bump this again.
    I also have a bum key now, has anyone done or gotten repair work done on a keyboard?
    Thanks,
    MC
    3x5cards, 2cans, string->Pilot->Palm V-> Palm Vx-> Sony SJ30(a weak moment on ebay)->TungstenT-> Treo600-> Treo650-> Treo700p-> Treo755p
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markatdvcrc
    I'll bump this again.
    I also have a bum key now, has anyone done or gotten repair work done on a keyboard?
    Thanks,
    MC
    I have just taken it in and returned for warrenty defect