1.    #1  
    Strange question, but bear with me:

I currently use a VOIP setup (Vonage Simulring) that simultaneously rings my cellphone every time I receive a call at my landline (office) number. I get no reception for my treo in my office. For this reason, I don't give my mobile number to anyone - I want every call to ring both of my phones at the same time, so that I can answer in my office if I'm there, and on my treo if I'm not. This system also eliminates the "pain in the rear" people who leave long messages in every voicemailbox I have - I only use my treo VM. My only problem is that people get my treo # off their caller ID, and try to call me back there - it is a "hole in my system".

I can't block my caller ID, becuase then most people don't answer their phones. I want (need?) a way to permanently spoof the caller ID on the treo, so that it shows my landline number. Due to call volume, a "per minute charge" isn't really viable, unless it was REALLY low. If people call that number back, my phone rings instantly. Sprint says they can't do this because the FCC will not let them (as the other number is not in their control).

Any ideas, or anyone had better luck with a similar setup from Sprint?
    No help on spoofing the caller id, but I am confused on: What's the difference between your Treo ringing because your landline was called and your Treo ringing because it was called? In either case, you are either going to answer or let it go to voice mail. . . . . .

Can you set seperate ring tones to differentiate?
  3.    #3  
    No, the difference is not in whether my treo rings at all. My problem is that if someone calls my treo number directly, then my LANDLINE doesn't ring. Because my service is almost non-existant in my office, then either (1) I miss the call altogether, or (2) have to answer the call, then explain that I have to "call them back from a landline.

Much easier just to have them call the landline number, then both ring at once.
    You can use a website, http://www.camophone.com, to "spoof" your caller ID. Costs $.05/min., prepaid. This website is the 2nd one to do this. Both sites are very shady, so don't prepay too much -- they may be gone tomorrow. Google "Caller ID Spoof" for more info on this topic.

Doesn't really seem like a permanent solution. You'd probably have better luck hacking your Vonage number to spoof your cell number. VOIP lines can be hacked pretty easily. HTH.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the pointer. The stuff out there about asterisk looks interesting, but this still wouldn't fix my problem: if I spoofed Vonage to give my treo's number, my problem would get worse not better. More people would call my treo number (rather than my vonage number) and I'd be missing more calls when in the office.

That being said, I do plan to dig further into this asterisk thing, if only because it looks interesting.
  6. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Can't you forward your Treo to your office line when you're in your office? It's really easy and fast to activate/deactivate on the Treo, not like on my old phone where you had to punch in 11 digits and wait for a dial tone.
  7. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    Can't you forward your Treo to your office line when you're in your office? It's really easy and fast to activate/deactivate on the Treo, not like on my old phone where you had to punch in 11 digits and wait for a dial tone.

That's what I do - I'm subscribed to Cingular's $2.99 unlimited call forwarding. I have a hotkey on my Treo set up to dial the GSM forwarding code:
    *21*(number)#

and then another hotkey to "unforward"
    ##21#
  8.    #8  
    Am I dreaming, or have I seen software someplace that will automatically begin and end call forwarding when I insert/remove the treo from a cradle? This way, it'd automatically forward when I'm in my office. I thought I saw talk of it on this message board, but the only search terms I can come up with (forwarding and cradle) aren't getting me very far.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgharriss
    Am I dreaming, or have I seen software someplace that will automatically begin and end call forwarding when I insert/remove the treo from a cradle? This way, it'd automatically forward when I'm in my office. I thought I saw talk of it on this message board, but the only search terms I can come up with (forwarding and cradle) aren't getting me very far.
    Profiles can automatically forward you calls when a profile is activated, one of the triggers can be when plugged in or even a time of day (say 8-6 in office) but it uses your cell providers forwarding mechanism, so you would be responsible for the charges.
    I know my plan w/Cingular doesn't even use your available minutes, but charges like $.15 a minute. Not worth it.
    I'd love to find an option to do what you originally request is too, as I've got the same basic setup.
    I'd be very careful with this one. I remember reading somewhere that altering a called ID is illegal. While I doubt it is a law enforcement priority, you would want to make sure you did your research just the same.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    I'd be very careful with this one. I remember reading somewhere that altering a called ID is illegal. While I doubt it is a law enforcement priority, you would want to make sure you did your research just the same.
    I agree that some care would be needed - I really don't want to hack into Sprint's system and unilaterally change my outgoing caller ID. I've assumed there is some type of exception based on the fact that many major office systems (PBX) use the main number as the outgoing caller ID for every call (rather than the individual extension). That's similar to my hope, except that my other "extension" would be my mobile phone.

That being said, I agree - the FCC doesn't really care how "similar" I think something is. I'd definately check the language of that exception.