Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looking for a program that can forward incoming calls to another number without incurring additional fees (besides using my minutes)???

All the ones I found so far (Call Director and Plug Forward) simply adds a nice gui to forward your calls - but Sprint and most carriers do charge a fee for this service.

-thanks!
    Last edited by opacityzero; 06/27/2005 at 10:21 PM.
    Well the problem is that for most instances callforwarding is handled by your provider, your phone doesn't have anything to do with forwarding. What happens is that your phone sends out a signal to the telco and tells them to turn forwarding on and to send the call to some other number.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

3.    #3  
    Thanks Tekara, but that's what I'm trying to avoid. Take the feature off the hands of Sprint who charges extra for this and put it on the Treo. The software would only need to do it automatically - perhaps a nice idea for any developers out there if nothing like this exist

How it would potentially work:
    The phone would pick-up the call and then dial the number you specified in the program in a conference call type - something the treo can do already!! ...extra features would be to mute the mic and silence the volume on the treo, and play a recording to the caller to hold on while the call is transferred or simple play a "ring-ring" recording.
    Last edited by opacityzero; 06/27/2005 at 10:26 PM.
    This application idea would be great. I've been wacked with sizable monthly bills from my SprintPCS account when forwarding calls. I have one-bar reception at my home office and its pushing me to look at Verizon who has much better coverage here. This application could save me big money, enable me to keep my old and cheap SprintPCS plan, and give me coverage when I'm at the home office (and remain a Sprint customer ironically). I'd be happy to pay $20 for a license.

Ironic that we're talking about gaming and circumventing a Sprint limitation so we can stay their customer instead of just going Verizon where the call forwarding is not charged extra. But the savings are too attractive to ignore if this application actually comes to be.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
  5.    #5  
    Any takers? ..i'd be happy to betatest
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Wouldn't this double your minutes per call if you use the conference capability?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  7.    #7  
    Yes, doing a conference call will use double your minutes. I most would want this virtual call-forwarding during the nights and weekends anyway, and with unlimited minutes during those times, using my anytime minutes won't be used.

Just a note, i said virtual call-forwarding since this is a whole new concept that makes our treos the middle man and not sprint's network (not directed at anyone, just a recap fyi)
    Doesnt Sprint offer call fowarding as part of your plan. I didnt think that this was an add-on feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    This application idea would be great. I've been wacked with sizable monthly bills from my SprintPCS account when forwarding calls. I have one-bar reception at my home office and its pushing me to look at Verizon who has much better coverage here. This application could save me big money, enable me to keep my old and cheap SprintPCS plan, and give me coverage when I'm at the home office (and remain a Sprint customer ironically). I'd be happy to pay $20 for a license.

Ironic that we're talking about gaming and circumventing a Sprint limitation so we can stay their customer instead of just going Verizon where the call forwarding is not charged extra. But the savings are too attractive to ignore if this application actually comes to be.
    Hmmm, still don't see how this would work. Forwarding, even on home phones, is done by the carrier, not the phone itself. Conferencing would be the only way I'd think.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    If I understand the request correctly, the phone would automatically answer the call. It would then put the caller on hold and dial a second number which it would conference in with the first call on three-way.
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Hmmm, still don't see how this would work. Forwarding, even on home phones, is done by the carrier, not the phone itself. Conferencing would be the only way I'd think.

Pamela
    Opacity's restated idea: <<"How it would potentially work:
    The phone would pick-up the call and then dial the number you specified in the program in a conference call type - something the treo can do already!! ...extra features would be to mute the mic and silence the volume on the treo, and play a recording to the caller to hold on while the call is transferred or simple play a "ring-ring" recording.">>

So to clarify, and if I understand Opacityzero's idea, its not really forwarding a call but its automatically conferencing a pre-set number. What would the caller's experience be while waiting for this process?? (ringtone ends, call placed on hold while the other number dials --only one # can dial at a time--deadair, then an answer). How much deadair would the caller experience?

On a larger topic, and if I've understood Opacity's explanation then I'm still stuck on Sprint's towers with only 1 bar of service at my home office so I don't think this idea would be the best solution for my needs.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    If what you're looking for is a way to forward your cell call to your office phone, I've recently been using a different approach. Since my "land line" is a Vonage VoIP line and it has "simulring", I give out the Vonage number and have it ring both on my Vonage line AND my cell ... I then pick up whichever one I'm closest to. When I pick up the Vonage line, I incur no cellphone usage minutes (it goes as a missed call).

Note: The Vonage number rings first when the cell is sitting on the desk next to my land line phone, about 2-3 seconds before the cell.
    I like the idea of having the Treo doing an auto-conference and think the idea can even be expanded. Theoretically, the phone can handle the call differently depending on who's calling. Depending on the caller, the phone can either forward the call or run a voice mail app on the device (as opposed to the carrier's voice mail). The voice mail can have a custom messages depending on who the caller is.
    Quote Originally Posted by hersko
    I like the idea of having the Treo doing an auto-conference and think the idea can even be expanded. Theoretically, the phone can handle the call differently depending on who's calling. Depending on the caller, the phone can either forward the call or run a voice mail app on the device (as opposed to the carrier's voice mail). The voice mail can have a custom messages depending on who the caller is.
    This would be a logical feature addition for CallFilter or TAKEphONE or another app that works closely with the dialer app.
    Quote Originally Posted by baai
    .....I give out the Vonage number and have it ring both on my Vonage line AND my cell ....
    baai - This almost sounds ideal and I've been thinking about making a switch to Vonage anyway. To clarify, your quote above suggests the incoming call derives from your Vonage number, not your cell number. And it is your Vonage service that in turn notifies or rings your cell. Have I misunderstood your explanation? Assume someone calls your cell phone while you're at home. Will your Vonage home number ring as well as your cell?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by alreadylinked
    Doesnt Sprint offer call fowarding as part of your plan. I didnt think that this was an add-on feature.
    Yes, call forwarding comes with your plan, but it will cost you if you use it! ..here's sprint:
    www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ueContent.jsp?scTopic=callForwarding
    "Each forwarded call costs $.10 per minute, plus any applicable long distance charges."

its automatically conferencing a pre-set number. What would the caller's experience be while waiting for this process??
    Exactly! I said call-forwarding since it's something most of us already know what this is in order to explain this new idea for a treo program. As far as the "caller's experience," one idea is for the program to play a message such as "please hold" or a ring-ring. I'm sure others can come up with other creative ideas..thanks BeantownTreo600 for supporting this idea. Note, if the treo picks up on the very first ring and immediately begins a conference call, the ONLY delay would be just the time it takes to begin calling the pre-defined number..what? maybe five seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by hersko
    Depending on the caller, the phone can either forward the call or run a voice mail app on the device.
    Sure! I bet there are tons of features that can enhance this program, but the first step is for someone to build this...i hope perhaps someone reading will get inspired by the potential popularity this can be.

For me this would be a cool program to use at the office and at home - mobile phone during commute and outside the office/home. Btw, another idea is for this "call-forwarding" / "automatically conferencing a pre-set number" is to take place after, say, five rings on the phone (before going to voicemail) so as to try you on the mobile and then at your pre-defined number - what do you guys think???
    Last edited by opacityzero; 07/12/2005 at 08:34 PM.
    You should ask the mods to move this thread over to the Developers Corner where it may get more attention (from able and willing developers).
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero
    How it would potentially work:
    The phone would pick-up the call and then dial the number you specified in the program in a conference call type - something the treo can do already!! ...extra features would be to mute the mic and silence the volume on the treo, and play a recording to the caller to hold on while the call is transferred or simple play a "ring-ring" recording.

Sorry, but I doubt the 'extra features' part of this is possible. The simple reason for this is that the OS does not have direct access to the phone mic. This is also the reason why you cannot record phone conversations unless you put the Treo in speakerphone mode. Thus a caller to the Treo would not hear any outgoing recording unless the device was playing the audio via speakerphone. Btw, this is also the way lightwav works with its converup sounds feature...

In regards to the automatic conference call feature, I'm not sure if that is possible either since alot of the is wireless carrier based. For example, I don't think it would be in the interest of wireless carriers to allow this since it woudl obviously eat away at their call forwarding charges...

In any case, the dev imo who could most likely pull something like this off is the developer of Callfilter. However, they haven't even put a 650 ver out yet and probably won't have it out for a while...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Nah, you could do both, it would be emulated presses though. It's silimar to how callfilter does the "ignore call", it fakes you tapping on ignore call button.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    baai - This almost sounds ideal and I've been thinking about making a switch to Vonage anyway. To clarify, your quote above suggests the incoming call derives from your Vonage number, not your cell number. And it is your Vonage service that in turn notifies or rings your cell. Have I misunderstood your explanation? Assume someone calls your cell phone while you're at home. Will your Vonage home number ring as well as your cell?
    You've got it right. Basically, you set up your Vonage account to ring both the phone connected to the Vonage device and your cell phone at the same time.

Two things you should know though. 1) If you answer with your cell phone, you get charged forwarding minutes on your Vonage account. Obviously, if you have the unlimited minutes plan, then it's it doesn't matter. But if you have the Basic 500 minute plan, you may need to watch your minutes. 2) Since people are calling your Vonage number, your Vonage voicemail typically picks up before your cell phone's voicemail does. So, you might want to set up Vonage's voicemail notification to also send a text message to your cell phone to notify you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast