Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently updated my Unlocked GMS Treo650 to the new ROM.

Now, when I try to use the keys or on-screen keypad to use a touch-tone phone menu, the tone is extremely too long. Effectively, I'm unable to log into my voice mail, enter time for work, or do anything via a phone menu that I was able to do before. The voice prompt menus don't seem to be able to recognize the button presses.

I've tried manually entering in numbers and setting up the "extra digits" scripts. Nothing works.

This is a MAJOR issue. Has anyone else noticed this?

Does anyone have an idea of a workaround or should we start pressuring Palm to remedy this?
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    I have this issue as well, however, it doesn't affect me the way it has you. It's just.....annoying to say the least.
    Latest moBlog shot:
  3.    #3  
    I just sent this to Palm support and am also posting it in their help forums. hopefully someone will notice.

I have recently updated my Treo650 to the updated ROM Treo650-1.13ROW and am running firmware 01.28.

Since this update, the touch-tones in the phone application are extremely long. Using the keyboard or on-screen dial pad to enter numbers for a phone-menu is extremely lagged and the tones themselves are nearly a full second long. Prior to the update, this was not the case.

Currently, I am unable to access my T-mobile voice mail because the system does not recognize the touch-tones issues by the phone. Likewise, my business time-entry system will not allow me to log in.

This is a MAJOR issue with the Treo650 and I insist that something be done to remedy this issue. I would consider this a showstopping Class "A" bug and if this is symptomatic to all updated Treo650s, your Quality Assurance department should all be sacked.
    Yes, my dial tones are VERY long too (appears to only be "really" long, when I'm in an active call)

Thought I'd do the right thing, and ask Palm, via their "online support". So, I fired off an e-mail to them, telling them in detail, that I had a stock unlocked GSM phone with no 3rd party apps installed. Told them that after the "update", the dial tones were very long.

Of course, this was their response:

"...Thank you for contacting palmOne Technical Support. My name is Giovanni and I will be assisting you with your issue regarding the tones of the Treo 650 when entering information or access numbeers very difficult after upgrading.

Robert, I understand your concern with the issue at hand. This issue is probably cause by third-party application that was restored after the installation of the updater. I suggest that you do a hard reset on the Treo 650. Then make a call to test the dial tones. Without any third-party installed on the smartphone, please inform us with the progress of the issue." (detailed instructions on how to perform a Hard Reset snipped)

So, as expected, they completely ignored my statement, telling them that I had no 3rd party software installed. So, in my next e-mail to them, I wrote:

"This was the wrong answer. As I stated in my e-mail, I do NOT have any 3rd party applications installed. The long dial-tones are caused by the updated Palm software for the Treo650."

Their response:

"Thank you for contacting palmOne Technical Support. My name is Reza and I will be assisting you with your issue. I understand that you still encounter same issue after installing the Treo 650 updater. ;

Robert, may I know if you are referring to the Treo 650 Updater 1.13? If so, does your handheld really need to be updated with this latest Treo 650 Updater? Since you said that the issue occurred after your installation I suspect that it has something to do with the Updater itself, which is not compatible with your handheld. To resolve your issue, you need to try performing the hard reset again as stated in your previous email." (Link to updater snipped)

Sigh. Classic Palm support, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by BobC
    Robert, may I know if you are referring to the Treo 650 Updater 1.13? If so, does your handheld really need to be updated with this latest Treo 650 Updater?
    I love this. What's next?

Thank you for contacting palmOne Technical Support. I am an ***** and I will be assisting you with your issue. Are you really sure that you want to upgrade and experience the new problems we created? Were you not satisfied with the old problems? It might be that you are very picky and will want to wait for the next upgrade that will have a random mixture of problems from both versions as well as some bonus new ones. You could of course have a prefrontal lobotamy as all our technical support staff have had. It makes life so much more calm and pleasant.
  6.    #6  
    Oh, this is bloody brilliant!

Just got a reply back from "Simon" at Palm0ne stating that they can't help me with this issue over E-mail because "it may be a hardware issue." If I want, I can call the support line and be charged a $25 fee.

Nice going, Palm.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    I swear Palm's support system has to be automated. It's slightly smarter than the average automated response system, yet at the same time ignores 80% of your original message and always says the same thing in the end anyway...

Pass #1 - 3rd party app. Try Hard Reset.
    Pass #2 - Must be hardware. Send it in.

From now on I'm referring to the Palm support system as Giovanni 1.0b.

For what it's worth, my unlocked 650 (1.13/1.28) is *not* having the long touch-tone issue. I tried it on dial out, and while connected to T-mobile voicemail. Works fine both ways. (aka nice and short)
    I am a sprint user but I have a friend who is a cingular user that wants to buy 650... for the sole use of the blue tooth upgrade... the problem is that cinguler does not have an upgrade... here is my question... can he buy an unlocked 650 and use it with is current sim card? and if so where can he purchase one?
    thanks in advance...
    My Cingular upgraded to the 1.28 FW, the DMTF tones are perhaps half a second.. Longer than I'd expect, but certainly not horribly long, don't seem to cause any problems I can see.
    My tones were much longer and more annoying while I was using the 1.21 beta firmware; the 1.28 firmware has actually shortened them to a reasonable length - at least on my machine.
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    Sorry -- I posted this below in a DTMF thread because I didn't see it. Any chance we can consolidate?

FYI - I've been referred to "level 2 support". The first guy thought DTMF tones were "the ringtones on the device." After accidentally hanging up on me (the THIRD time this has happened), the second woman finally listened. She did not have an update on Bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixhershko
    I am a sprint user but I have a friend who is a cingular user that wants to buy 650... for the sole use of the blue tooth upgrade... the problem is that cinguler does not have an upgrade... here is my question... can he buy an unlocked 650 and use it with is current sim card? and if so where can he purchase one?
    thanks in advance...
    Yes. I did this same thing. I bought my phone off of ebay. Not necessarily recomminding that method, it's just what I happened to do.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
    Unlocked GSM 1.13, really long tones here, too. I can't believe they shipped it like this -- I can't use voicemail or call in directly to anyone at the office!
  14.    #14  
    I was able to log into my voicemail, finally. After verrrrrrrry carefully using the stylus on the on-screen keypad.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Hmm, yeah I definitely don't have this problem, and I'm pretty particular about the unlocked 650 bugs. Maybe you guys should post a list of your 3rd party apps to see if there's a common culprit.
    I'm having the same problem with the long tones but I have a thought. I bet the problem is mostly with T-Mo's voicemail system. I had frequent failures before the update and pretty much constant failure getting in to VM after the update. However, when I dial into another computer response system (equifax verification line - pretty complicated series of pauses and extra digits for authorization) it may take forever but it never fails. The T-Mo computer just isn't listening very carefully.
    I'm having this problem as well - and it seems the only things that's changed on my device SINCE the update has been the addition of Volume Care. Which, I would think, most unbranded GSM users have also installed..

Could this be a possible culprit? Anybody else with this problem using Volume Care?

Ryan
    It is not a volume care problem. A bare GSM right after hard reset has the problem. Several people on another thread about this have mentioned it. It is a PalmOne firmware problem. There were a few complaints before the update about tones being too short so it seems they fixed that by making them too long instead.
    Me too. The long tones are driving me nuts and cause my voice mail service at work to time out on me.
    I bought an unlocked 650 at one of the Palm stores (at an airport), and I switch between a Cingular and a T-Mobil SIM successfully.

YangYin

---in reply to---

Quote Originally Posted by pixhershko
    thanks in advance...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast