Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I'm using Versamail on a Cingular Treo 650, and using activesync with my office exchange server. In spite of what I've read elsewhere in this forum, my experience is pretty good so far, and I'm particularly pleased with the wireless synching of calendar items that might be added by folks in my office when I'm on the road. However, I do have a few annoyances, and I'd like to share them and start hearing from others so that perhaps someone will some up with solutions...

1. For some reason Versamail is the only native application on the 650 that doesn't auto-correct contractions. For instance, if you type in "dont" it should auto-correct to "don't" or if you type in "im" it should correct to "I'm." It does this in notepad, the calendar application etc, and it makes perfect sense since these are not easy words to type correctly on the small keyboard.

2. If you use the "signature" feature, and hit reply, it inserts the signature at the very bottom of all the text, rather than it the top (where it belongs) with the insertion point right above it.

3. When you reply or forward a message, it shows the appropriate icon on the Treo, but when it syncs with outlook, those icons are not transferred.

4. I'd like to be able to flag an email as "important" like you can in Outlook, and filter the emails to be able to only see the flagged ones. Better yet, I'd like to be able to set the sync to keep the last days worth of email + all flagged emails.

5. Why are we limited to 1 weeks worth of back calendar items?

I'm sure you all will think of others.
    VersaMail sux. It wont even work with my gmail pop account anymore. Time to try ChatterMail.
    Well, I'm Swedish and mostly enter text in Swedish so I'm quite greatful that VersaMail doesn't have the auto correct function...
    My main problem with VersaMail on the T650 is it's lack of being able to properly display HTML email. Even though in the preferences you can choose to display your mail as text only or HTML!!!!

I preferred the way it worked on the T600 when you got an HTML email it would transfer the message to the Blazer browser allowing you to view the entire message graphics and all.
    iscripter - I'm curious what you mean about HTML... The only times VersaMail doesn't do HTML is when there's no HTML in the message (at least, from what I've been able to tell).

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    iscripter - I'm curious what you mean about HTML... The only times VersaMail doesn't do HTML is when there's no HTML in the message (at least, from what I've been able to tell).

Marc
    I've seen it incorrectly render HTML when the message exceeds the "preview" size, and upon tapping to receive the entire message you get raw HTML. Even with the correct headers, you still get raw HTML.
    evilghost - Well, that can't be helped. Without loading the whole thing, how can it know how to render incomplete HTML tags?

Marc
    evilghost - Well, that can't be helped. Without loading the whole thing, how can it know how to render incomplete HTML tags?

Marc
    You're missing all the text.... " and upon tapping to receive the entire message you get raw HTML"..at this point it has the entire document and isn't attempting to render partial HTML.

Marc
    Versamail also doesn't show HTML Pictures see this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...versamail+html
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbrutha
    VersaMail sux. It wont even work with my gmail pop account anymore. Time to try ChatterMail.
    Exactly. Neither does Snapper. Me thinks a conspiracy is afoot!

Better not be. I love my Treo, but if this I-shall-not-retrieve-2K-emails-via-POP crap continues for another 48 hours, I'm getting a Blackberry. Seriously. And this is coming from someone who has been getting email on Treo's since model 270.
    jack - What is "I-shall-not-retrieve-2k-emails-via-POP"?? (I know what crap is)

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by iradeut
    I'm using Versamail on a Cingular Treo 650, and using activesync with my office exchange server. In spite of what I've read elsewhere in this forum, my experience is pretty good so far, and I'm particularly pleased with the wireless synching of calendar items that might be added by folks in my office when I'm on the road. However, I do have a few annoyances, and I'd like to share them and start hearing from others so that perhaps someone will some up with solutions...

1. For some reason Versamail is the only native application on the 650 that doesn't auto-correct contractions. For instance, if you type in "dont" it should auto-correct to "don't" or if you type in "im" it should correct to "I'm." It does this in notepad, the calendar application etc, and it makes perfect sense since these are not easy words to type correctly on the small keyboard.

2. If you use the "signature" feature, and hit reply, it inserts the signature at the very bottom of all the text, rather than it the top (where it belongs) with the insertion point right above it.

3. When you reply or forward a message, it shows the appropriate icon on the Treo, but when it syncs with outlook, those icons are not transferred.

4. I'd like to be able to flag an email as "important" like you can in Outlook, and filter the emails to be able to only see the flagged ones. Better yet, I'd like to be able to set the sync to keep the last days worth of email + all flagged emails.

5. Why are we limited to 1 weeks worth of back calendar items?

I'm sure you all will think of others.
    Does anyone know if there is a way to resolve the issue with the signature line? I tried Roadsync, which is based on Activesync, and I do not have this problem. However, roadsync does not sync calendar so I have been forced to use Activesync until this is resolved.
    Are there any good email clients out there that will work with IMAP and allow you to offload messages to an SD card? I know SnapperMail will do this, but for all that functionality it costs $60. Are there any other alternatives?
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Are there any good email clients out there that will work with IMAP and allow you to offload messages to an SD card? I know SnapperMail will do this, but for all that functionality it costs $60. Are there any other alternatives?
    Looks like chatter will do this very soon! I'll be purchasing that one....
    Chatter's current beta version does SD card storage directly, without need for archiving. It's working very well, according to users.

Marc
    Chatter's current beta version does SD card storage directly, without need for archiving. It's working very well, according to users.

Marc
    I have some time left on my trial of chatter and i have some free space on my Treo at this point. I'll wait for a stable release. Thanks for the info.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I started this thread quite some time ago, and I'd like to think that someone from Palm read it and acted upon it. The latest version of Versamail that I am using (3.1c for Cingular) fixes many of the annoyances that I pointed out. In the hope of getting more fixes, here is a short list of additional annoyances that, if fixed, would make the program pretty much perfect...

1. Forwarding an email results in the original email becoming an attachment, rather than just including the text within the forwarded email. This doesn't happen when you respond to someone, so I'm assuming this is a bug. There is no setting that I can find to change this behavior.

2. Starting an email should automatically capitalize the first letter. It doesn't

3. I repeat my request that we be able to keep more than 1 week of calendar items

4. All new calendar items created on the handheld automatically have an alarm set. There should be a way to turn this off.

4. I prefer to sort my emails with the latest on the bottom, if you do that in Versmail, the program still defaults to the top, so you start out looking at your oldest email, rather than your newest. Ideally, no matter how you sort, the program should open exactly where you left off, just like Outlook does. There's nothing more annoying than leaving Versamail to look at an attachment, and then returning and having to search for the email that included it.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's enough for now.
    Unlike apparently most people here, I'd be more interested in NOT synching the calendar via Versamail and Activesync. Many problems I find in my calendar seem to occur following a wireless sync. Unless I'm missing something that already exists, I'd be happy with an option for the calendar sync.