1. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    The answer to this is probably 'no', but I'd just like to get others to start thinking about this concept.

I have a VoIP softphone (Cisco IP Communicator) installed on my laptop. Whenever I'm VPNd into my company, I can launch the software and my PC becomes my work phone. I can plug in a USB headset and make calls.

My laptop has bluetooth. If I had a bluetooth headset, I could use it as the headset for my softphone.

Since I don't have a bluetooth headset (no need really... I have a BMW Bluetooth kit, so it's integrated hands-free in my car, and I don't talk on my mobile all that much... it's used for data more than anything else), it would be awesome if my Treo could become a BT headset for my Softphone.

Any ideas on how to make this work?
  2. sj3
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Does this mean you got your Treo to upload your Favorites to your Bimmer? That would allow you to see and manipulate speed-dials, missed calls, etc. from the car's computer. Are we talking a 5-series?

Thanks,

sj
  3. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sj3
    Does this mean you got your Treo to upload your Favorites to your Bimmer? That would allow you to see and manipulate speed-dials, missed calls, etc. from the car's computer.

No. It downloads the speed dials (you can't edit them there, but you can view/dial them from the steering wheel on the NAV screen) and keeps track of numbers most dialed (only numbers dialed via the car). The car also has its own voice dialing capabilities - which are stored in the car and not the phone. I press a button on my steering wheel and say 'Dial Name'

Car: "Please speak the Name"

Me: 'Home'

Car: ""Home".. Are you sure?"

Me: 'Yes'

Car: "Dialing"

It also does number voice recognition.

Me: "Dial Number"

Car: "Please speak the number"

Me: '4403238811'

Car: "4-4-0-3-2-3-8-8-1-1 are you sure?"

Me: 'Yes'

Car: "Dialing"

The bluetooth kit also added some voice recognition to my navigation system.

Quote Originally Posted by sj3
    Are we talking a 5-series?

Nope... 2003 330i Performance Package. The bluetooth kit is a BMW part that I installed myself ($500.. ouch). It's available from the factory on new cars. You can install it on any 3 series manufacturered after March 2003 (build date is listed in the door jamb).

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw