1.    #1  
    I have had the 600 for almost a year now. Great phone but I am going on my 6th one. What's with the QC at Palm? Anyway. Verizon is replacing my 600 this week because my screen broke. Actually the screen below my top screen broke. All I see now is blues and Yellow colors. Don't know what happend. But I have been thinking about upgrading to a 650. I currently DON'T have a contract with Verizon if I upgrade it will cost me about $250 with promotion incentives and it will lock me in for a 2 year contract. I will now be locked into Verizon for 2 years. I don't plan on leaving Verizon because their service is just better than the rest. But what makes the 650 so much better than the 600? I know of a better screen and Blue tooth. What else would warrant spending the cash and locking into verizon for 2 years. This is a great board and I would love to know what you 650 users think. Thanks.
    Next time you wanna start a thread, search first!!! Here's a clue on how to answer your questions....pick out important keywords such as "reasons", "upgrade", and "650" and read dear friend.

But anyway....for nostalgic purposes I decided to dig up an old post of mine from http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ns+upgrade+650:

Reasons being:
    "1) screen
    2) bluteooth -->syncing, dun, gps, reverse tethering (almost as good as wifi), etc.
    3) better camera (actually usable, plus a mirror for self-portraits, and camcorder functionality)
    4) faster processor
    5) keyboard is better in my opinion (backlight and larger, flatter keys)
    6) new layout of keys (i.e. - home & menu keys, as well as red phone button which saves you the trouble of explaining to friends how you hang it up)
    7) sd card doesn't protrude like in the 600.
    8) removeable battery
    9) Non-Volatile File System. Never losing data is a big plus for me...happened to me twice with the 300.
    10) OS 5.4, which includes a few changes that are really worth it in my opinion
    11) Blazer, much faster browsing
    12) the bundled software (docs to go, versamail, etc. - some are good, others just suck)
    13) the side button...just one more hard button that can be tailored for individual applications
    14) wifi is now capable of working on the 650, although a lil' rough, and not the 600
    15) if you upgrade later, you'll have to wait longer for your next smartphone. if you upgrade today, you only have to wait 2 years, but if you upgrade in 4 months, then you have 2 years with the 650 as new phones with ev-do, built-in gps, wi-fi, etc. make your mouth water. the 650 is the best for now, so you might as well get it 'cause the price isn't going down and nothing that's being released within the next year can compete with it.
    16) did i mention the screen & bluetooth??"

Well, that was fun...don't you wanna upgrade now?

And P.S. - Verizon uses the same towers Sprint does so the service is exactly the same (if you get the $5 roaming option). So, save yourself $25~30/mo and switch to Sprint. If you need further help...walk into a sprint store and simply say "Gimme Fair & Flexible with Roaming and PCS Vision" and I promise you won't regret it.

Can anybody answer me why Consumer Reports consistently give Verizon "fewer dropped calls" than any other providers??? I understand that service depends on placement of towers, but I've been all over the country as have my friends with other providers and we've agreed that Consumer Reports is full of it. Any reasons as to why Consumer Reports has given such unfair and unflexible ratings??
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info. Sorry I didn't give search a try. As for Verizon and service coverage. I don't know where you are located but in the NYC area I have had a lot of people tell me they switched to Verizon because sprint kept dropping calls. I don't know anything about them both using the same towers but I do know that Verizon tests out there phones much harder than any company. That's why they always seem to be behind in the release of new equipment. Perhaps they twek at few things in the phone during the QC process. I don't like Verizons web service. To much $$ IMO When I first got the phone the internet service was included in my monthly mins. But they got rid of that in a hurry. Now they want something like $24.99 for 10MB of access and $49.99 for unlimited. SInce I don't use the web execpt for checking sports scores or the weather or other BS stuff. I have not added that to my plan. The 600 & 650 are great business phones but I use mine for personal use. No need for email or text mess. I sit at a pc all day and get enough of it there. Thanks again for the post, perhaps I will take the new 600 that Verizon sends me and sell it to help pay for the 650 upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    And P.S. - Verizon uses the same towers Sprint does so the service is exactly the same (if you get the $5 roaming option). So, save yourself $25~30/mo and switch to Sprint. If you need further help...walk into a sprint store and simply say "Gimme Fair & Flexible with Roaming and PCS Vision" and I promise you won't regret it.

Can anybody answer me why Consumer Reports consistently give Verizon "fewer dropped calls" than any other providers??? I understand that service depends on placement of towers, but I've been all over the country as have my friends with other providers and we've agreed that Consumer Reports is full of it. Any reasons as to why Consumer Reports has given such unfair and unflexible ratings??
    Well, after this past weekend, I KNOW that Verizon and Sprint do not use the same towers. My brother, his wife and their friends all have Sprint. My wife and I have Verizon (650 & 600). We were at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri this weekend, and we litterally had to use their phones to have service in most areas. They had service constantly, and ours went from "no service" to "extended service" constantly. I don't think that I made a call that wasn't dropped the entire time, even when I had service. So there is no way we were on the same towers. If it was just one of our phones I wouldn't say anything, but it was both of ours, and all four of theirs.
    If you are otherwise happy inspite of being on your sixth T600,why spend the cash to upgrade AND get locked into a two year contract.Is there any feature of the T650 that you are burning to have that warrants the expenditure ?
    Is it a need or is it a want ?

Personally,I love my Treo 650 and I have to say my favorite features are the screen,the bluetooth,the removable battery and NVFS.I passed on the 600,to use one device as a pda and cell phone and not be able to switch out to a new charged battery was not a compromise I was willing to make,I'd gotten far too used to having multiple charged batteries for my cell phones over the years.

Many years ago,I had an account with Sprint and I remember leaving for a combination of dropped calls and issues with billing and customer service.I knew my dead zones,and at a point they seemed to be taking over the places where I had service.Things are probably better by now,but I never went back.I hear from friends and relatives with Verizon coverage that it is quite good and they are pleased with it,I generally hear okay things about Sprint and the people I know who have it in the NY metro area.

Since you are using the Treo primarily as a phone,if you are happy with the 600 and none of the features of the 650 have you aching for a change worth spending the money,I'd stick with the 600.Is it really worth the 250$ plus being locked in for two years to you...

....Although I must say the screen is great...and I love not having to fumble for my phone in my bag or in the car when I am wearing my headset...and being able to carry an extra battery allowing me to get through a long day in the city without having to carry extra chargers around....

...jmtc
    This is a threadjack!!

Yup, upgrading is the way to go.

But, man...I agree that the 650 is great for personal use...PIM organization, when in solitude, etc....but to me the two greatest features of the 650 (and even the 180, 300, 600 Treos) are (1) the KEYBOARD and (2) the ability to be connected to the INTERNET AT ALL TIMES. For $15/mo it's easily worth it when you've got programs like "Dir Assist", "Wassdat", "FlightStatus", streaming audio with "PocketTunes", "Verichat" (or the free, yet overly simple and buggy Agile Messenger), "Versamail" (or the overpriced Snappermail or Chattermail), and more broadly the Internet (both on the phone when bored (which is a lot easier to use with the program "Wassdat" (mentioned above)...or on your laptop ANYWHERE in the country over a bluetooth connection).

Say your walking down the streets of NY and you wanna find out what time a business closes, if they have a product, what their prices are...or what's a family/relative/co-worker's phone number/address??? how about a map to get there?? Decide your not in the mood for the music that's stored on your SD card...wanna listen to a virtually infinite amount of radio stations?? And again...using Wassdat for google, froogle, encyclopedia, ebay, wikipedia, or whatever site you want to search adds a lotta convenience for only $8. Handmark Express adds more convenience but annual fees sound TERRIBLE to me. But if you don't think you'd ever need it...you're wrong. You know that the Internet is your lifeline and you feel dead when you're away from your home and office.

All I'm saying is...give Sprint a try. They'll let you take it back within 2 weeks, I believe.

About the Verizon Sprint sharing towers: I had a similar problem when I went to the Bonnaroo festival in Tennessee a couple weeks ago where my phone would perpetually switch between "no service" to "full service" but I could only get it to call out in the mornings whenever everybody else was sleeping...I'm going to guess that 90,000+ people all trying to find their friends while using only a couple towers might prevent the majority of them from making calls. With exception to that one weekend, I've only had like 4 or 5 dropped calls with Sprint in the past 4 or 5 years all over the country.

But they most definitely do share towers. At least with Sprint I know you can pay an extra $5 or 10 to receive unlimited roaming...I'm not sure if Verizon has a comparable service???? If they don't share towers, Sprint's making money illegitimately, and both of them suffer from more dropped calls than are necessary.

I love it when TreoCentral discussions get me riled up.

-Peace out!

EDIT - I forgot to mention that towers are only half of the wireless reception battle....the other half lies inside your phone...yup, the cellular radio. The 650s radio is probably the strongest out of any phone on the market now, so I'd be willing to bet that no matter what provider you went with that it's going to be pretty good service. I'd love to start a poll to see how many people really get bad service with the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Next time you wanna start a thread, search first!!! Here's a clue on how to answer your questions....pick out important keywords such as "reasons", "upgrade", and "650" and read dear friend.
    Wow!! You guys are brutal!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Wow!! You guys are brutal!
    heh...thanks
    The convinience factor is amazing,last week,I was sitting waiting for a graduation ceremony to begin (which it finally did a good 40 minutes later),during that time,my niece needed to know when the local DMV office closed,she couldn't remember...in seconds,called it up on the Treo (much better than paying for a 411 call),ditto for trying to figure out where a field was for a little league schedule I'd just recieved as an excel attachment in my email....All at my finger tips,in the middle of a state park waiting for a middle school graduation !

I remember a few years ago,I had a friend with Verizon service,and she had dropped calls left and right,and then she switched to T-Mobile,like I had and still had awful service-we could be sitting across from each other,my phone would be fine,and her's wouldnt (AND we had the same phone ! ),and then when one of the companies I work with handed me a Nextel phone,she decided to switch to them as well...and still being plagued by bad service...

But my Treo,has definately improved my outlook-I love carrying just one device,was really excited to give up my iPAQ and return to Palm...my last palm had been the Vx,I couldn't bring myself to give it up,it fit so well in my pockets ! And the Treo will always start a conversation,whether from a fellow user or someone contemplating "the change" (or withdrawal from the blackberry...-been there too myself)....I love having the offices in the palm of my hand,without having to carry ten different gadgets to accomplish it !

...although I still have an iPod,the gym I go to doesn't allow cell phones in common areas if they can record or photograph....