1.    #1  
    What exactly do I need to use it as an mp3 player?

Headphones
    mp3 software
    storage card
    card reader?

That it?

I don't have a card reader or whatever it is on my PC. So have no way to get mp3's onto a card then onto the 600. Can someone give me some exact recommendations since I don't know anything about them? And anything else I'm missing or have wrong? Thanks.
    MP3's! hehe...

You can download a program called Card Export II to put files on your SD card til youget that reader. Any generic SD card reader will do, they are a Dime a dozen on ebay. Don't forget that the Treo has a sub mini jack (most headphones are mini jack). You can get an adaptor from the Treocentral store, or you can get one at Radio Shack (though the RS one will require a little shaving down).

For software, if you don't want to spend money you can download Real Player for free, thought i would recomend pocket tunes! it rocks.

Good luck!

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    You'll need Pocket Tunes.........I thought it came on the T600??
    Quote Originally Posted by Proud_Papa
    You'll need Pocket Tunes.........I thought it came on the T600??
    Only if you registered your Treo...
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  5. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady12
    I don't have a card reader or whatever it is on my PC. So have no way to get mp3's onto a card then onto the 600. Can someone give me some exact recommendations since I don't know anything about them? And anything else I'm missing or have wrong? Thanks.
    You don't need a card reader. Just specify install to card (instead of handheld) in the "install" dialogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    You don't need a card reader. Just specify install to card (instead of handheld) in the "install" dialogue.
    That's painfully slow though... if you have a 1gig card you'll be sitting there all night.

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    There's also TCPMP (The Core Pocket Media Player). I use this because I have a bunch of AAC files I had previously created for my ipod.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks...I'll come back to this thread if I have questions once I actually start to DO this.
  9.    #9  
    I went and registered the sucker so will get Pocket Tunes for free. So, what's the best ringer program? I plan to edit some mp3 clips up and use them as ringers..thanks.

Also would it be better to just get that little headphone jack adapter or just get some Treo specific headphones? Does the adapter make it more bulky or inconvenient. It looks like it might be more uncomfortable in your pocket or wherever and just that much longer.

Also what about those expansion cards? Will anything labeled sd/mmc card work with a 600? Them suckers on the PalmOne site are expensive so I want to try to get one cheaper on Ebay..that a good idea? And can someone tell me about how many songs/minutes/whatever will fit on different sized cards? 256, 512, 1gb?
    Last edited by Shady12; 07/01/2005 at 08:35 PM.
    Its just an ordinary SD card. I'm not sure if the higher speed ones work, but they probably do.
    I have Palm OEM stereo headphones (with the 2.5 MM jack) that I bought on new Ebay for like $12. They work pretty well but I'm thinking about adding some silicon ear slics to keep them in my ears. I also got a 2.5MM to 3.5MM adapter to use other headphones and to be able to connect my 600 to my home stereo as a digital jukebox.

I have a 1gb card and it has 15 CDs on it in MP3 format that I ripped using Musicmatch.
    Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend that you get a card reader if you get a large card. Transferring MP3s using hotsync or CardExport is painfully slow compared to a reader.

The reader I recommend is the Lexar Jumpdrive Trio. You just slide your SD card in the reader, sick the other end in your computers usb port, and if you have Windows XP it will automatically recognize it as a drive. You just drag and drop your MP3s into the reader window and it loads them onto the card fast!

Make sure you click on the 'safely remove hardware' icon in the system tray before removing the reader, or the card or MP3s may get corrupted.

Good luck!
  13.    #13  
    Would a card like this work with a Treo?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
    No, that card is a Compact Flash card. The Treo uses a Secure Digital (SD) card.
    Quote Originally Posted by jesterjo
    No, that card is a Compact Flash card. The Treo uses a Secure Digital (SD) card.
    The preference is for SD Cards of any type as long as they have the SD logo on them to identify them as SD.

The other card which we don't discuss anymore as it's way.....way......slow, is the MultiMedia card. Leave this one alone as well.

SD is the one your after.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

I use the program FilePC2PDA to transfer to my 1 Gig card. Yes it's slow but as I'm not always on my computer it's fine to leave running overnight.

The other thing to remember is the size of your music files.

MP3's are big to say the least usually around 3MB for a song created at 128kbps.
    You can get the same quality from OggVorbis but at 65kbps and half the file size.

This is fine if your listening through your headset.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)