Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    So,
    I upgraded to Windows64. It wasn't entirely by choice. I am on a long term travel and have no plans to come home for a while. My computer crapped out on me. ALL of my software is at the house (save for my palm). So.... I download the trial version of the 64-bit XP. I get my computer back up and running but guess what... Palm software will NOT install...

anyone else do this or am I in VERY uncharted waters?
    You are in VERY uncharted waters...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    that was kinda what I was fearing. I've tried the compatibility program that's in windows to no avail...

this is looking grim.
    W64 is a buggy death trap. MS is too busy trying to get Longhorn ready for 2096 to deall with fixing its billions of bugs.

<]=)
    You KNOW you can run Windows XP (32 bit) on a 64 bit architecture, right? And in fact it'll be a much better experience right now, as a lot of things aren't 64 bit ready.

And it'll kill nearly any 32 bit processor while running in 32 bit mode, so don't worry about not "taking advantage" of your 64 bit processor.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I expect he installed W64 because he could get a trial copy for free.

The 64-bit versions of Windows are based on Windows Server 2003, and look like that to most software. A lot of "consumer" software won't install on the Server operating systems.
    I use winxp64 and haven't noticed any bugs. There are incompatibilities, but you can't classify them as bugs. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try palm desktop yet. I'm betting it's the treo driver that's breaking things.
    If you "can't" go back to a 32-bit version of Windows XP you could try using a program like VMware. I've never tried to use my Treo within VMware but I've used it for a lot of other things and it works good.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    sorry for the late reply. I'm in a BOQ and the net service here SUX. My computer crapped out on me. My XP disk is at home and I wont be there for a little while. As soon as I get back home I WILL switch back to XP. Win64 has a "left behind" feel. Its nice in the fact that it seems just like XP. But, I swear it feels a bit "twitchy". Hopefully the retail release will have some breath taking features in it.

anyway, the VMWARE idea is a very good one. I will give that a try later on.

thanks for your help.
    J~
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I use VMWare as well, if you don't have it, there is a 30 day free trial download from their web site.

BTW, Microsoft's version of this is called Virtual PC 2005. There used to be quite a bit of differences between them, and I haven't looked into it (ran Virtual PC 2004), but it might be another option for you.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I had forgotten about the Virtual Pc. I downloaded it last night. then, i remebered you have to have the disk for the OS you want to emulate. My whole problem stemmed from the fact that I dont have my disk... back to square one.

i did find something interesting out for you cutting edge junkies, XP64 can be obtained full version for FREE... how? newsgoups of course... just kidding. Microsoft has an advanced replacement program setup. 64-bit processor users with legit copies of XP can get the XP64 edition for free... whats the catch? your current License is revoked. XP32 will no longer work. See the link for more info:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...e/default.mspx

as for my last gasp effort, i think i may do the upgrade to 64 (i'm real bad about wanting to be at the bleeding edge). I foresee myself setting up a virtualPC with win2k, networking that pc to my regular pc which will have XP64, sharing out my data file for outlook, and having the palmware sync with outlook as installed on the virtual pc. this will be quirky and a royal PITA but, it may satisfy my need to be on the edge and my need for using my Treo at the same time. Will report back when I get the chance to do this...
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    You will need the install disk for the OS if you use VMWare as well. The biggest difference is OS compatibility. I run VMWare most of the time, Longhorn, Linix, etc. Virtual PC pretty much only wants MS's OS's, and then there used to be a Server / Client restriction.

Just thought it would be worth a try
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
    Is MS Virtual PC 2005 compatible with XP64? I tried installing Virtual PC 2004, and it gives you an explicit error at the beginning that XP64 is not supported.

As mentioned earlier, I'm also unable to run HotSync on my XP64. I've set up a dual-boot for XP32, and it works well there. However, XP64 is my primary o/s (work-related), so it's a definitely an inconvenience. Palm has shown no indication they'll be putting out a 64-bit image anytime soon.