Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just bought one from staples...am so excited for it to work!
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Question for the ELBT595 users.

I've read here on TC that the CellLink feature works well. But on sites like epinions and cnet this unit gets ripped to shreds for poor build quality, especially on the handsets. One of Uniden's marketing points is the compatibility of their handsets across different base stations.

So what I want to know is can I use another candy-bar-style handset, e.g. TCX860 (per the ELBT595 manual) or TCX400, to work with the CellLink feature instead of (or in addition to) the flip-style ELX500 that the unit ships with?

I got the response below from Uniden's e-mail support, but I'm not convinced they actually understood the question and would like to hear from people who are really using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ to Uniden
    The ELBT description lists it as being compatible with a TCX400 handset.
    Does the TCX400 (or TCX440 or TCX805) support the use of the CellLink feature of the ELBT595? I.e. when a mobile phone is paired to the ELBT base, can I initiate a mobile line call with a TCX400 handset?
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniden to ERicJ
    Our Solution :
    Thank you for using our system.
    06/20/2006 05:10 PM - Staff Send Message:

Thank you for contacting Uniden with your question.

It does not that model handset is not a blue tooth.

Thank you for choosing Uniden.
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ to Uniden
    I don't think you understood the question. The purpose of Bluetooth on the handset is to pair with a Bluetooth headset; I am *not* interested in that feature. It's the Bluetooth on the base station that pairs with the mobile phone. So assume I have this setup:

ELBT595 base station paired with MyMobilePhone.
    ELX500 extention handset working with ELBT595 base station
    TCX400 extensiton handset working with ELBT595 base station

An incoming call on MyMobilePhone can be answered with the ELX500 extension.
    --> Can an incoming call on MyMobilePhone be answered with the TCX400 extension?

An outgoing call through MyMobilePhone can be initiated with the ELX500 extension.
    --> Can an outgoing call through MyMobilePhone be initiated with the TCX400 extension?

In all of these scenarios/questions the only Bluetooth connection is via MyMoblePhone to the ELBT595 base station. I do not want to use any Bluetooth headsets.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniden to ERicJ
    Thank you for contacting Uniden with your question.

No, the ELBT handset or the ELX500 will only be able to use the cell link feature. The other handsets you will not be able to call with the cell phone.

Thank you for choosing Uniden.
    While I haven't tried using other handsets, I'm pretty sure that the only one that can take advantage of the cell link feature is the elx500. The other handsets do not have the option to use a mobile phone built into their software.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Bought an ELBT595 today at CompUSA to try out. It easily paired up with my old Sprint 650 (ROM Treo650-1.13a-SPNT) , but would not pair with the Sprint 700p (ROM Treo700p-1.08-SPNT).

Anyone else have success with ELBT595 and a Sprint 700p?
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beavis10
    While I haven't tried using other handsets, I'm pretty sure that the only one that can take advantage of the cell link feature is the elx500. The other handsets do not have the option to use a mobile phone built into their software.
    I just went through this with tech support. They refused to understand the question that I was asking. They kept thinking that I wanted to pair a bluetooth ear piece with the ELX500 handset; which is supported. I decided to buy one of each of the non-ELX500 handsets to determine myself what worked and what didn't.

The other handsets (860 and 905) will allow you to recieve and make mobile calls; as well as a land line call. You select the mobile phone via the line two button. The issue for me is you cannot select from a list if you have two mobile phones paired to the base unit. The non-ELX500 handset defaults to the first mobile in the list. Not a problem if you only pair one mobile to the base. In the end, I returned the 860 and 905 and purchased an additional ELX500.

To those concerned about the build quality...I think the unit gets an unfair knock. I use the ELBT595 daily for work and personal use. I think the handsets will tolerate as much abuse you'd put your Treo through. I've been using the handset since fall and the only sign of wear is the finish on the battery cover. I think most find it cheaply made because it doesn't have mass (weight) you'd find in a cell phone. My only complaint might be battery life. I find that I need to pplace the handset on the charger at the end of long day.

My two cents...
    Last edited by aixguru; 06/25/2006 at 10:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    aixguru,

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for in regard to the additional handsets!

Now I wonder if anyone has had success pairing the ELBT595 to a Sprint Treo700p...?

ERic
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    aixguru,

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for in regard to the additional handsets!

Now I wonder if anyone has had success pairing the ELBT595 to a Sprint Treo700p...?

ERic
    ERic,

Yes, the 700p will pair and function with the ELBT595. And in my opinion the performance is improved over the 650. The only issue is the 700p will stay connected for a couple of days before connection issues arise. I believe it to be the same issues that others have noted with the 700p and other bluetooth devices. I believe this will be resolved once ALL bluetooth issues are resolved via a firmware fix.

What's sad is the LG LX350 Sprint gave me when I purchased my 700p works perfect with ELBT595. Funny and sad how bluetooth implementations differ between phones. One would think the Treo would excel given it's price.

aixguru
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aixguru
    One would think the Treo would excel given it's price.
    You got that right!

I have been unsuccessful in pairing my Sprint 700p with the ELBT595. I've tried both pairing methods ("Find Me" and "Search Device"). The 700p finds the ELBT595 and tries to pair with it, but quickly fails. The ELBT595 cannot find my Treo700p. I've tried at least 20 times. I did a hard reset to wipe my 700p clean and it still would not pair up. I have successfully paired my 700p with a BodyGlove Blue Voice headset and, although the voice quality was awful, it did pair up easily.

I borrowed a friend's Sprint 700p and it:
    1. paired up the on the first try
    2. directed an incoming mobile call to the ELX500 handset
    3. successfully placed an outgoing call from the ELX500 through his 700p

I've had no trouble pairing three different Sprint Treo650's with the ELBT595.

With the 650 paired, I can place outgoing calls on the mobile line via the ELX500 handset if I dial a 1 in front of the area code. Anyone else have to dial '1' or does standard 10-digit dialing work?

Also... is there a trick to getting the Treo650 & ELBT595 combination to direct incoming mobile calls to the ELBT595 and/or ELX500 handset? I cannot get this to work. All the incoming calls ring only on the Treo650, not the ELBT595 base or ELX500 handset.

Thanks,
    ERic
    It's very picky. On my 700p I have to use the ELBT595 to 'search device' to pair with the 700p. The 'find me' option does not work successfully.

With the 650, it didn't work correctly with the elbt595 until firmware 1.12 was released. They corrected the problem by allowing the user to specify if the bluetooth device was a headset or a carkit. The elbt595 needed to be defined as a carkit because it needs to stay connected over bluetooth constantly. I suspect the problem you're having with the 650 is that it isn't staying connected. An update to newer firmware should help.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12