1.    #1  
    Just saw this info on Mapopolis 2 on their web site:

http://www.mapopolis.com/ver2.html

Some neat new features...guess it's time to get the expansion module...

We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I downloaded ver2 for its ability to edit maps and add new locations using maplets. Unfortunately, I am unable to edit a maplet that I created. Anybody been successful doing so?

Warkari
    Now this is cool...

It links adjacent counties/cities together and allows you to enter your own landmarks that you can search for across these boundaries! Time to pop all my client locations into this puppy so I don't have to carry paper maps any more.

Some other improvements:
    - lists street name AND route number (very useful for rural areas)
    - lists approximate house numbers
    - shows lat/long information

Warkari, I haven't had any problem editing maplets. I've changed the names and moved locations without a hitch.

I concur, homer, time to get the 8 MB module! (Since I was considering getting a GPS module mainly for the mapping capabilities, I'll put the $ into the 8 MB module instead...)
    Be forwarned: this looks like a "pre" release, so it may have some bugs...

But it looks REALLY neat so far

Frank
    This pre-release does work with the Prism and does have some color to it although it's predetermined. Be advised that this program is much slower now that they added to the maplet information. You can speed it up by choosing less features until you get down to a true street level need.

I like it but better have a flash springboard handy if you want to carry a lot of maps with you.

I sent them an email suggestion to be able to pick colors for certain street levels such as interstate highways versus state routes etc.

They are looking for feedback. The maplet/feature does have certain businesses already predetermine such as Starbucks and other "partner" business - Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC. This makes it handy to find fast food and other shopping centers if you are unfamiliar with the area.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    OK, I've been reading up on how the 8 MB Flash Module works and wonder if it's compatible with Mapopolis 2 and the "maplets" you can create and modify?

Looking at what's on my Visor now (via Z'Catalog), I see the original 7 maps I downloaded, the Mapopolis application, a "State Database", and the two maplets I've created. The original maps and the app show the same created and modified date/time so I'm assuming they don't get modified. The "State Database" and the maplets show different created and modified dates which makes sense (the maplets, however, show a modified date/time of 1/1/04 12:00 am ?).

Anyway, my question is whether or not Mapopolis 2 will work with the original maps on the Flash Module and the rest (the Mapopolis application, the "State Database", and maplets) on the Visor?
    Homer, thanks for the heads up on Mapopolis 2. Finally can get city names. The maps need some updating but the new features are a big plus.
    YBYSAIAH

My flash module - should arrive tomorrow - if it does I will let you know. If not, it'll be later in the week. Didn't buy it for this reason but I'll find out.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Thanks, Moose Man!

I was considering going ahead and ordering one directly from Handspring so I could take advantage of their 30-day return policy if it doesn't work. I'll wait and see what you find out first...
    Jeez, the Los Angeles county map is 4 meg! There is no way I could load it onto the Visor and transfer it to the module without deleting a lot of files then reloading them. Glad that they broke it into sections. Same for San Diego. Did not have time to do this. How is it working for those that have the maplets on the module?
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
    What a fabulous piece of software, and for free! The maplet feature, although somewhat confusing makes the software much more useful. And now that water lines are displayed you can much better recognize features on the maps. No application I have has as much "wow factor" as mapopolis. It's too bad the maps files are so damn big though....

Mapopolis really needs to be overclocked if you want it to run fast, it's definitely the most processor intensive app I have installed to date.
    I've got a BVD with a Stowaway keyboard
    Visors kick A$$!!!!!!
    Just download StreetFinder and load a few maps and you'll then appreciate the size of Mapopolis maps

I actually like the feature set of StreetFinder better than any other map program and I own a registered copy, but the maps are so darn big it makes it hard to keep more than a few loaded.

I tried Mapopolis and think it's great, especially for free, but it is missing some key features IMO.

Does the new version of Mapopolis have Address Book integration yet?
    bregent

No on the address book integration. Sent them a suggestion though.

I too like StreetFinder but your right it's maps are just too large. It's fine as long as you only want one city but I traverse all of Northern California and Hawaii and couldn't possibly carry that much stuff even if I had a 16MB Prism.

YBYSAIAH - didn't get the module today and it's too late to find out why. Maybe someone with a Flash Module will monitor and answer the question of will Mapopolis work with it before I can.

Moose Man
    I just wish they'd add a few Canadian maps to the collection. Last I checked there were none. Not sure why I'm posting this because I haven't checked in a while. Maybe they do now. I'll go see.

Ark.
    I finally got the 8MB Flash Module. Mapopolis does work with this module although in the transfer process it warns you that you can't edit the maps and if you try it might crash the application. This might be fixed by the official release.

I won't edit so I'm not too concerned.
    Moose Man
    I have an 8Meg module and the maps for version 2 seem to work the same as the maps for version 1. (i.e. I can view them with no problems).

I *think* the maplets work too, but they are stored on the internal memory of the visor, not the external 8Meg module.

Frank
    Thanks Frank and Moose Man!

You've given me enough encouragement that I'm going to order a flash module and check it out for myself.