1.    #1  
    It seems I can't go more than a hour without calling up ResetNetLib.

Each one of these apps could chew through the limited number of Sockets available (evidently 16), and together, it's a perfect nightmare.

The latest 1.13 release had absolutely no effect, either.

How are you all dealing with this? How often do you have issues with data apps like these?
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I don't use verichat, but I do use the rest and I do have similar issues. It's odd for me, though, because sometimes I don't seem to get through more than 10 or 15 minutes without having to use ResetNetLib and sometimes I can go days without a problem. I'm not sure what the difference is. I've found that sometimes when I keep having the problem and having to use ResetNetLib that doing a soft reset instead will last longer.

I've also noticed that it seems to be more of an issue for me in areas with poor coverage. I'm not sure if when something timesout due to poor coverage that an app will open a new socket or what, but coverage definitely makes a difference.

I've also gone to a minimum configuration in Chatter. I had been using three email accounts and I had the Inbox, Sent Items, and Deleted items configured for all of them in Chatter. I've since gone to just two accounts with only the inbox configured and I'll dynamically create a filtered mailbox or a regular mailbox in the rare occasion I need to see something in Sent or Deleted Items. That seems to have made a big difference too. I believe that Marc stated before that Chatter uses a socket for each mailbox, so with 9 mailboxes active that was leaving only 7 sockets for everything else.

HTH,
    Brett
    I use Chatter, Verichat, Web, DA, 4Cast and PocketTunes and sometimes I get the no sockets problem. However, ever since I've isntalled DBCacheTool my performance has improved. Now, even the green arrows have been lowered. Try it. Also, SharkBoy is working on a similar app, but with greater functionality.

Al
    I use Chatter only (among the apps you mention) with 3-4 online Mailboxes and I have NEVER seen this; I don't think Chatter is doing anything "wrong"...

Marc
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    I use Chatter only (among the apps you mention) with 3-4 online Mailboxes and I have NEVER seen this; I don't think Chatter is doing anything "wrong"...

Marc
    I don't think Chatter is either. I think the issue is the (very) limited number of sockets available. Obviously Chatter uses some of them, but that shouldn't be a problem. I think somehow the OS isn't releasing sockets when it should.

The fact that you haven't seen this while only using Chatter leads me to believe that Chatter is quite well behaved in it's use of sockets.

Brett
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Actually, this leads me to another question, Marc. If I have one account in Chatter, then I assume Chatter will use one socket for that account. If I have two accounts, then I assume that Chatter must now use two sockets... one for each server. Now... if I only have one account, but two mailboxes (folders) on the same server, does Chatter use one socket or two?

Thanks,
    Brett
    Two.

Marc
  8.    #8  
    I agree that Chatter is well behaved. The newest versions very nicely take care of connectivity issues automatically. I have 7 mailboxes running in Chatter (all to one Exchange server), so I'm already pushing my luck. QuickNews is a known socket-eater, I have to ResetNetLib after retrieving a handful of newsfeeds. Maybe the Phone app uses a socket as well for SMS notification or something. Add Verichat and TreoAlarm and we're down to a few sockets left.

This is an OS-level issue, probably something that can't be resolved by any one app. But if each app would behave, that would be nice.

If there were a way to monitor the sockets and see which app is using them (or which port is being accessed, etc.), that would help a great deal in troubleshooting. Maybe a tool could be written to monitor "inactive" sockets and kill them after some period of inactivity.

-rh
    Anybody know of a utility to show which program has open sockets (and how many)?