1.    #1  
    I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have a new sprint 650 with the new rom (1.12) and have recently obtained a bluetooth virtual laser keyboard. It lists as compatible with the 650 and the driver installs ok but the bluetooth will not connect to it (it sees it but will not pair). My question is: does anyone have any experiance with this device and or have any suggestions?? The unit is great, very well put together and looks really nice, but it would be better if it worked with my 650!!
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Did you have any resolution of your problem?
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    This is a long shot but have you tried pairing it with a default passkey 0000 ? This was how I was able to pair my GPS device...but its a long shot....oly
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy93
    I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have a new sprint 650 with the new rom (1.12) and have recently obtained a bluetooth virtual laser keyboard. It lists as compatible with the 650 and the driver installs ok but the bluetooth will not connect to it (it sees it but will not pair). My question is: does anyone have any experiance with this device and or have any suggestions?? The unit is great, very well put together and looks really nice, but it would be better if it worked with my 650!!
    I got one of these things for review, and have spent the last six hours, I kid you not, trying to get it to work with my Treo 650 (SprintPCS model, if it matters)..

The phone sees it on its Bluetooth device list but absolutely will not make a connection with it. It never asks for a passkey. If someone can give me a step-by-step of how to make them pair and make it work, I'll buy you dinner.

I was going to review this thing for a national magazine, but enough already. I tried everything possible. I reset the VKB a hundred times, I reset my Treo 650 a hundred times, it simply will not make a connection, even though it sees it. Where do you enter the passkey on the Treo 650? The .pdf manual for PalmOS that comes with the thing says to enter a passkey, typically "0000" on the virtual keyboard itself and then enter it on the Palm. Well the Palm never connects to it [try again] (endlessly).. so it never puts up the passkey window.

If one of you geniuses has any ideas, I'm listening.

Thanks,

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Guys, I just got one and figured out the pairing, it is tricky (the trick is to type a password on the keyboard and then return, you will see the Treo ask for the same password, but you need to read the .doc on the CD for the instructions, which are:

Pairing with your device

1. Tap the Bluetooth icon on your PalmOS5 PDA/Phone
    2. Tap the On button
    3. Tap the Prefs or Setup Devices button
    4. Tap the Trusted Devices button

Ensure the VKB is in paring mode

1. Tap Add Device
    2. Select VKB Keyboard and tap OK
    3. Listen for the “beep” on the Virtual Keyboard, then, using the keyboard projected by the Virtual Keyboard enter a passkey of between 1 and 8 numbers on the projected keyboard and press return [8].
    4. Repeat the passkey on the Palm device and tap OK
    5. Tap the Home button and tap the VKB program.
    6. Open the Menu and select Connections from the list.

Figure 2 – Select Connection Window

7. Select Bluetooth from the drop down list.
    8. Open the Menu and select VKB, then select Enable Keyboard

Figure 3 – Virtual Keyboard Driver Dialogue

9. Select Yes on the Bluetooth Setup dialogue box (select No on all subsequent connections).
    10. Select the VKB Keyboard from the list and tap OK

The blue LED will go on to show your successful connection. Your Virtual Keyboard is now connected to the PalmOS5 device.

You are now ready to use the keyboard.
    Noticed VKB does NOT work with Docs To Go. Anybody else find this? works with all the other apps. DTG was the main reason for the keyboard. If anybody has a solution, let me know.

PalmLover
    I am trying to get this thing to work... just got t650 to recoganize on the list of devices but will not connect.
    any advice?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mux11
    I am trying to get this thing to work... just got t650 to recoganize on the list of devices but will not connect.
    any advice?
    Depending on when and from whom you bought it, the included CD might have had the old old version of the Treo 650 driver, which absolutely will not work. I reviewed the VKB for a certain magazine, for whom I used to write, who shall remane unnamed, and in the course of that review, I did an online chat with the VKB support guys in Israel, and they told me the driver on the CD that came with it was too old and pointed me to download this file, which is still there:

http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/downloads/vkb.zip

So get that, unpack it, install the newer driver over the old one, and the follow the instructions for pairing. It should work. It worked for me. The reason the .Zip is 16mb is that it's basically a newer version of everything that's on the CD that comes with the VKB. The Palm driver is tiny.

If it works for you, come back here and let me know. It worked for me.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Thanks hrlaser! I did download the 465 driver which was new and allowed me to finally see the vkb... will put this in and let ya know.
    thanks again!
    Nope, no good. getting a "Serial: (Ser030C)" error
    Doing resets on both devices, yada yada.....
    done a couple different ways... also getting "Unable to connect to VKB Keyboard."
    ideas?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Nope, no good. getting a "Serial: (Ser030C)" error
    Doing resets on both devices, yada yada.....
    done a couple different ways... also getting "Unable to connect to VKB Keyboard."
    ideas?
    Yup. Go to their Web site, there's a link to chat live with a rep, or chat with a live rep (as opposed to what, a Zombie rep?) and tell him what you did and what's going on. That file I pointed you to with the newer driver absolutely worked for me when I reviewed the thing. My 650 is a SprintPCS flavor, although I can't imagine why it would possibly matter if yours is another carrier or GSM.

Oh, one other thought, are you trying to use it at the same time as a BT headset? That probably won't work. Has to be one or the other, not both at the same time, just like the little folding BT keyboards. They won't work when the phone is paired with a BT headset either. One or the other.

Harv
    k, got it .. In step 3 I was missing the 'Entering the code after the beep'
    Rather I was looking for a prompt for the code.
    working now.
    Whats your sensativity setting? Im noticing a lot of cross selection of other letters where I hold my hands.

Thanks for the help!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    k, got it .. In step 3 I was missing the 'Entering the code after the beep'
    Rather I was looking for a prompt for the code.
    working now.
    Whats your sensativity setting? Im noticing a lot of cross selection of other letters where I hold my hands.

Thanks for the help!
    I don't have the VKB anymore. But I cranked the sensitivity down pretty low (and the brightness too) because I was getting a lot of spurious characters. You have to fiddle around with it. I also had it working with my XP laptop. I'm a touch typist and it was very disconcerting to type on a picture of a keyboard with no tactile feedback. I had to look at my hands while I typed, which I never have to do on a real keyboard. I also set it on a book and had it project onto the sofa so I had something softer to type on. It can get kind of hard on the old fingertips after a while.

One cool trick it does is when it shuts itself off to conserve power, you can just wave your hand in front of where the keyboard was projected, and it'll turn itself back on again.

But I wasn't crazy about the thing, honestly. I prefer real keys. I admit it is a pretty slick piece of geekware, but it really takes some getting used to.

I'm glad you got it working. I knew it was the older driver causing the problem.

Harv
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Overall Rating: 2/5

Ok, this product doesn't suck. It is pretty cool and actually works some of the time! However I have several gripes and complaints that I think a less critical user would look over:

1.) The drivers that come with the mini-cd are outdated and cause the Treo650 to crash as soon as you leave the application. I tried the website http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/ and they are the same version (6 months old).

2.) I called the company and tried to speak with the Russian/Ukrainian/Slavic (?) native woman who could barely get out enough English to take down my concerns and have someone else call me back. Very nice and pleasant woman but No call back.

3.) I emailed/filled out the form on their website for technical support and 3 days later they finally pointed me to a similar but different website that actually has newer drivers: http://www.laser-keyboard.com/

These drivers actually let me get out of the VKB application without rebooting my Treo. The issue here is why is there 2 websites maintained by this company with different content and only one has the updated drivers?

4.) The display is pretty bright but in a conference room or office setting with plenty of light the display is washed out and can't be used: So much for using it at work.

5.) The keyboard requires LOTS of fussing to get it to work with the Palm OS but once it does it stays working. The fussing involves setting it up from scratch each time I go to use the device. It will never connect without going through the "Is this the first time you are connecting to the device" option.

6.) The keyboard doesn't work in Goodlink! So I can't type an email using this keyboard which is the sole reason I purchased the device! I have emailed the company (since phone proved unsuccessful) and after 2 weeks still haven't heard anything. It so far has only worked in the memo application for me which is almost useless. I can't speak to Versamail or any other email apps.

7.) You absolutely can not touch type with this. You must use a 2 finger approach otherwise your other fingers spam the keyboard and you get dozens of keystrokes hit. I am able to get fairly fast typing rates with 2 fingers but don't expect this to be anything different than a slight increase over the built-in Treo keypad.

8.) I still haven't been able to get it to work with a laptop. I have their latest drivers (finally) and one of my laptops will see the device but not pair and the other can't see the device at all when it scans (yes it can see plenty of other Bluetooth devices in the vicinity). On a colleagues laptop it can see it but also can't pair with the device. We were able to pair it on a desktop with a BT adaptor but it wouldn't actually send keystrokes to the desktop machine (in notepad)

9.) This device doesn't automatically start working. If you think of a BT headset you just turn it on and if it is already paired and close the phone will start working with it. This device is nowhere near that level of ease. You turn on the VKB (it MUST be on a hard surface otherwise it turns off) and then go into their custom app/driver and enable the VKB, go through initial setup each time, re-connect to the device using the Treo BT interface, and then leave their app and go into the one you want to use. Approximately 1-3 minutes of playing around each time you want to use the device.

10.) About 50% of the time I get either a serial IO error when trying to connect via BT to the device or I get a VKB specific BT error talking about how the Bluetooth communication can't be established with the device. I must reboot the phone each time this occurs as no amount of playing will get it to communicate.

11.) I like how the previous reviewer said follow the CD steps exactly. Well if you don't have IE as your default browser the silly and remedial Flash based (!!) installation program on the CD can't launch your web browser to download the file from the CD and get an "Open" dialog box from which to launch the application. If you don't realize the lunacy of this method (flash application to launch a web browser to offer to save or open the file just to launch an executable) then you won't get most of these issues. Unbelievable how some developers don't get how easy the installers like Installshield or NSIS are and how you just don't use a web browser to install an application from CD!

BTW, the issue with not using IE is that with FF they don't allow you to "Open" or "Run" the application so you must save the file. Once you save the file it doesn't have the supporting files in the same directory as where you save the .exe so it can't install. Instead you just have to go to the appropriate directory on the CD and run the installation from there. Works fine that way.

So to wrap up, this device is way cool. It doesn't work like it should; it barely connects and only works for certain applications. Since this isn't a $40 device like it should be and is instead a $200 device it will absolutely be going back! I gave this a 2 since it isn't absolutely horrible and it might work better on other platforms but the two I tried (Palm/Treo and WinXP) didn't work.

Chris Hoekstra