Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello! I'm the creator of SharkCache, which is a DBCache managment util for the palmOne LifeDrive. It does basically the opposite of DBCacheTool (locks apps in cache to stop the LD's hard drive from spinning up).

However, i played around with DBCacheTool myself and found it to be a bit unintuitive and not as powerful as i would have liked. would there be any interest in a replacement for it for free (or if it got good enough and powerful enough to make a real difference maybe for a few dollars)?

Features would include clearing the cache on app loads/quits, power ons/offs, specific time intervals, when you push a hardkey, perform a stylus swipe, etc...

i have a bit of experience with the cache so i thought this might be a good project!

looking forward to hearing your replies! best, sharky
    Yeah, would be nice, DbCacheTool was written by some guy in Japan and later translated into English I believe. Documentation is written from a programmer-level. However, I'm quite happy with dbCache Tool and don't have any issues. There are some GSM/CDMA users having issues with it, so an alternative may be nice.
    I would be interested, also. And yes, I agree, the user interface is unintuitive and it's lacking a good explanation on how to tweak it's settings.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    For me - absolutely!!! I have yet to get DBCache Tool to work correctly on my unlocked GSM 650 on TMO with customized 1.23 ROM so for now I monitor the cache with Memory Info and then soft reset when it gets below 3-4MB. I would be happy to pay for a tool I could depend on. I would also be happy to be a beta tester.

Frank
    I would pay for something to actually manage the dbcache properly and give the user control over it. Even though some have had success with dbcachetool, others have not. The lack of documentation doesn't help either. Sharky, please give it a shot!!!

Thanks,
    Lewisl
  6.    #6  
    ok, sounds good. i can start work on a free version. i don't have a 650 (only a 600) so beta testers will be a must. how does this sound for options on when the cache should be cleared:

-General app enter
    -General app exit
    -Specific app enter (i.e. make it so that the cache is cleared when you enter Warfare Inc)
    -Specific app exit (ditto except exit)
    -Hardware button (Hard key 1)
    -Button combo (Fn+C)
    -Power Off
    -Power On

anything i missed?

thanks! regards, sharky
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    I am interested also. I couldn't agree more with pda_jedi either..really lacking the tweak settings.

This would really help with ljp also
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkboy717
    ok, sounds good. i can start work on a free version. i don't have a 650 (only a 600) so beta testers will be a must.

thanks! regards, sharky
    Sharky,

You got yourself a beta tester.

And, I'm sure there's more to come.

jedi
    anything i missed?
    Also, a list of the current files in the cache (and the size it occupies) would be useful.
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    I agree with rudychow. If there is a way to view what is in cache, it would be helpful when troubleshooting.
    This is a must have application for the Treo 650. I had DBCacheTool installed on my Sprint Treo 650, but while it was a great app, it didn't work well with ChatterEmail so I stopped using it. I'm willing to beta test it too.

Sharky, I heard a lot good things about you from Jeff Kirvin. Keep up the great work.

Thanks a lot,

Al
    Sharky,

I will also beta test if you still need more people! I have a Sprint Treo 650 running 1.08 (soon to update to 1.12). I cannot get DBCacheTool to work at all with any settings, so I would LOVE to try your version!

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Beta tester volunteer. DBCache never works for me.
  14.    #14  
    ok. just to confirm (since i've never used the 650): the DBCache gets too full and then you start getting Out of Memory errors?

regards, sharky

ps: Thanks Al lol! yes, i know jeff well. very funny guy, and i especially enjoy his rants on the 1src Podcast :-D
    ok. just to confirm (since i've never used the 650): the DBCache gets too full and then you start getting Out of Memory errors?

regards, sharky

ps: Thanks Al lol! yes, i know jeff well. very funny guy, and i especially enjoy his rants on the 1src Podcast :-D
    And, even more troubling, soft resets.
    I have many apps that run in the background that in combination w/dbchachetool has given me lock ups only a zero reset has fixed. I would like to have a cache app that can exclude certain apps in cache from being touched as that may b the problem.. I use verichat..chatter.. keycaps 650.. profile care.. UDMH.. pxaclocker.. profeoSA.. treoalarm... & soundoff to name a few.
    TIA
    john
  17.    #17  
    hey john! well, depending on which algorithm is used to clear the cache i don't think that should be a problem. those apps are "locked" in to the cache since their resources are being used, so if you tell the system to clear everything it *can* then it won't clear those and all will be well :-D. i think the problems may come when you try to go lower-level and maually clear out the cache that you can encounter those reset errors.

my app will use a normal API method to push everything uneccesary (read: things not locked in) out of the cache!

regards, sharky
    hey john! well, depending on which algorithm is used to clear the cache i don't think that should be a problem. those apps are "locked" in to the cache since their resources are being used, so if you tell the system to clear everything it *can* then it won't clear those and all will be well :-D. i think the problems may come when you try to go lower-level and maually clear out the cache that you can encounter those reset errors.

my app will use a normal API method to push everything uneccesary (read: things not locked in) out of the cache!

regards, sharky
    Is it possible for someone to beta test this who has Goodlink installed on their device. I had Good and had to remove it because it was a memory hog and when it was installed I could only load Goodlink (after load, I had about 80k of NVFS cache free therefore not letting me do pretty much anything else). I'd be curious to see if Sharky's program helps with Goodlink. I can deal with Goodlink closed (not loaded) in order to access other programs and when I'm done to "reload" Goodlink.

Do you understand what I mean?

Thanks again!
    -M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    sharkboy,
    I would be very interested in beta-testing for you. I have never gotten dbCache to work at all on either the Sprint 1.08 or 1.12 firmware.
    I have not experienced the soft reset problems of some people in this thread, but I do have a very noticeable slow down, especially when switching between apps.
    Zane
    I would be willing to test as well. I have pretty much left most the settings on DBCache as is as I was not sure what to change. I am not sure if my problems are memory related however though I have been having quite a few crashes.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast