Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I installed the latest update, 1.12 for the Sprint Treo 650 about a week ago, and I just noticed the ability to record your own ring tones has been taken away? Why? I verified by looking in the old user manual and the new one, am I missing something? Is there another way to record ring tones?
    Do you mean the New button in the Sound Manager application?
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Yes, the "new" button is no longer there.
    I still have a "new" button on the ROW version. . .
    someone contact cbs and get help me howard on the line. Sprint downgrades for their own petty gain. Guess ringtone sales are low. hope this is a easy fix
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    yes thats pretty lame that they took that function away...good thing I recorded some custom ringtones before I "upgraded". I will never buy ringtones from sprint as long as 3gforfree.com is around.
    Interesting.............the little details.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    please....shadowmite busted bluetooth within days...and since then, an army of palm newbies thirsty for a new challenge has sprung up. I give it a week before someone cracks a way to get the button back...
    Well that was easy enough. For those that are good at making new ROMs, just delete the "SoundPnl_SPCS.cprc" file when you're making a new ROM. It seems that file is what's covering up the "Create" button in the 1.12 firmware. The ability to make yer own ringtones is back.....sorry about yer luck, Sprint....

For inquiring minds, I just took a look at the old ROM and the new ROM to see what had changed in the Sound files, and the addition of that file was the only thing. Then I used "Filez" to look at the "SoundPnl_SPCS.cprc" file on the phone, and saw it was an 'overlay' file (much like the custom splash screens 'overlay' the sprint screen. I then created a new ROM and removed that file, and wouldn't you know the buttons came back?

I've flashed my phone twice without this file, and everything is a-ok. it looks like its only purpose was to coverup the record function. shady sprint.....

so have no fear, we can record again. :-)
    Last edited by sh9854; 06/26/2005 at 02:32 AM.
    I have an unlocked European 650 and I still have the "New" button after the last upgrade.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the feedback, you guys are great!!!
    This is why I bought an unlocked GSM. To avoid all these carrier generated changes.
    Man that is sooooo shady of Sprint to do this. I didn't even use the feature, but the whole idea of Sprint eliminating a feature (not just changing the way it works) through a firmware update without any explicit notice is sketchy (and I'm for the most part a pro Sprint user). Firmware upgrades should enhance the user experience, not degrade it.
    If you don't want to mess with custom ROMs, I created a replacement for the Sprint overlay that reenables the new button. Standard procedures apply for replacing system files (ile. don't use HotSync, instead use beam, bluetooth, web, email, or an SD card)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    If you don't want to mess with custom ROMs, I created a replacement for the Sprint overlay that reenables the new button. Standard procedures apply for replacing system files (ile. don't use HotSync, instead use beam, bluetooth, web, email, or an SD card)
    If we email this to our phones and then save the attachment. It will show up in our launcher and we run it, right? After that do we have to keep it or can we delete it?
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe

You my friend.. Rock!! Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim
    Man that is sooooo shady of Sprint to do this. I didn't even use the feature, but the whole idea of Sprint eliminating a feature (not just changing the way it works) through a firmware update without any explicit notice is sketchy (and I'm for the most part a pro Sprint user). Firmware upgrades should enhance the user experience, not degrade it.
    You're complaining about Sprint giving you BT DUN which was NEVER supposed to be included with the 650? Good call. Feel free to go back to 1.08 anytime that you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim
    Um...some of us have argued that they didn't eliminate a feature but fixed a bug. Matter of perspective.

*EDIT* Sorry got my threads confused...this was meant for another thread
    Last edited by Atif; 06/26/2005 at 07:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    If we email this to our phones and then save the attachment.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    It will show up in our launcher and we run it, right? After that do we have to keep it or can we delete it?
    No, it won't show up in your launcher. There's nothing to run. After you save the file into memory, the "new" button will appear in the sound prefs. That's it. If you delete it (using Filez for example) the "new" button will disappear again.
    Thanks, DrWowe.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast