Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Just an official release by Sprint. No he said, she said. Treocentral is not sprintpcs.com

Now, why don't the crybabies either load 1.08 back onto their 650's or just install the required files and quit compaining.

Done.
    2000 Man, you must either work for Sprint or own a whole heap of their shares !!!
    It worked fine for me. Thanks! I just emailed it to myself and said "yes" when it asked me if I wanted to delete the other file.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Okay, now I am getting more confused.

When I first bought the Treo 650, I saw the tech note saying I'd be able to record voice, and use that as a customized ringtone for anyone in my speedial list.

Turns out Palm backpedaled on that one... it didn't work. They changed the tech note. You could record voice, and use that as a default ringtone, but not assign it to individuals in your speed dial list. Bummer.

And then I read David Pogue's review of the Treo 650 in the NYTimes this week:

http://tech2.nytimes.com/2005/06/30/...gewanted=print

The Treo really shines, though, in the little touches that bear the pawprints of obsessive-compulsive designers. For example, it offers to add a newly dialed number to the address book, so you'll have it for next time. You can also assign a different ring to each caller, and, on any Treo except Sprint's, even record new ring tones of your own. (Your spouse's ring can be, "Honey, it's me!")

Seeing as I recently updated to the 1.12 firmware I went back to the "Manage Sounds & Alerts" screen to see if anything's changed for the better.

And now I can't even add a voice recording AT ALL???
    The "Add" button is GONE!

Anyone else notice this? What's up with that?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Meanwhile, we still can't assign these custom voice recordings to specific callers in our speed dial list.

The tech notes originally said we could, and then Palm quietly changed the tech note to say that we couldn't.

That sucks. Would've been nice to hear who was calling by a recording of their own voice. Why was this *BUG* never fixed?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Did Sprint even give the courtesy of announcing that this feature was being removed?

Any explanation whatsoever as to WHY?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Meanwhile, we still can't assign these custom voice recordings to specific callers in our speed dial list.

The tech notes originally said we could, and then Palm quietly changed the tech note to say that we couldn't.

That sucks. Would've been nice to hear who was calling by a recording of their own voice. Why was this *BUG* never fixed?

Whoah! I take it back!

Now that I've installed the patch file on my Sprint Treo 650, I have the ability to ADD voice ringtones again.

Well guess what?

I just tested assigning these tones to callers in my Speed Dial list... and then had those callers call me. It worked!

LOOKS LIKE THE BUG IS (finally) FIXED!

Now why did Sprint remove the ability to record voice ringtones again? The phone finally would've worked the way it was advertised to have worked!

Anyway, I'm a happy camper now. I'm going to get voice recordings from all my friends so incoming calls will be identified in their own voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Did Sprint even give the courtesy of announcing that this feature was being removed?

Any explanation whatsoever as to WHY?
    Their ringtone sale have obviously been lagging. And just like Sprint tried to keep BtDUN from us, they have tried again with ringtones.

Shame on you Sprint, and P1 for condoning.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    Their ringtone sale have obviously been lagging. And just like Sprint tried to keep BtDUN from us, they have tried again with ringtones.

Shame on you Sprint, and P1 for condoning.
    I agree, why esle would they force you to download 5 dollars worth of crap with your vision package. Just gimme vision for 10 bucks... keep yer crappy downloads...
    Last edited by KAOSWLF; 07/03/2005 at 11:59 PM.
    <merged>
    2000 Man, owned.
    1 | 2
    Thanks for all the info you people.It worked perfectly!

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

Alternate Phone- Motorola Razr V3 (silver)
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    By the way, just so you guys know, you can record your own ring tones as WAV files (in whatever app you want, or import them from your PC, download them from the net, etc.). When I use Resco Explorer to browse to a WAV file that is on my SD card, I just click on it and it automatically opens the Sound Manager app, and is converted to the correct format. You can get higher quality ring tones this way (but they do take up more space. I have found mono 32khz 8 bit WAV files make a good balance of sounding high quality but not being too big. You can open it in other ways than with Resco Explorer, but for me this is the easiest way.

I have found since I have this ability, I don't feel the need for an MP3 ringer. I just convert a small clip of the MP3 file on my PC into a WAV file (and make sure it loops cleanly) and then put it on my Treo.

Cheers,
    Jacob H.
    Last edited by jacobh; 07/11/2005 at 04:13 PM.
    DANG this is shady of my favorite carrier. But I'm still confused. If I want to create a custom 1.12 ROM re-enabling this feature...all I have to do is delete the "SoundPnl_SPCS.cprc" file, correct??

I got confused in sh9854's post concerning the other 2 files. What were those TonesLibrary files for then?? Should I delete/replace them in this new custom ROM?
    Ok, I have to wonder one thing:

Sprint has now added the ability to assign WAVs or AMRs to favorites....and now it actually works!! YEAH!!!

So what I'm wondering is....when you change out these files, does this remove your ability to do this??
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    Ok, I have to wonder one thing:

Sprint has now added the ability to assign WAVs or AMRs to favorites....and now it actually works!! YEAH!!!

So what I'm wondering is....when you change out these files, does this remove your ability to do this??
    Doesnt change the ability to assign the tones to your favorites.
    All they do is uncover the "new" button so that you can use it.
    Has anyone researched to find if they do anything else at all? I have a hard time believing these files were changed strictly to hide that option. Besides, I never use that option.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    thanks for this. had not even noticed but glad to see such an easy fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    DANG this is shady of my favorite carrier. But I'm still confused. If I want to create a custom 1.12 ROM re-enabling this feature...all I have to do is delete the "SoundPnl_SPCS.cprc" file, correct??

I got confused in sh9854's post concerning the other 2 files. What were those TonesLibrary files for then?? Should I delete/replace them in this new custom ROM?
    Still lookin' for answers...waitin' to put this ROM together any second now.
    If you are creating a custom ROM, you would NOT want to only delete that file, you would also need to replace it w/ the original version. Otherwise your entire Sound Panel will be gone.

Same goes for the other files I believe. All of the files are different files involved in the management of the sounds or ringers.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast