1.    #1  
    I dropped my stylus under the seat the other day and last night finally got a chance to dig it out when standing up again my 650 fell out of my hand and smashed onto the ground face first.. only about 2 feet up.

It reset itself and came back on thought it was fine until it shut off and then I had to hit the center button to shut off key guard. No go wont' come back on... Right now one of the shift keys is stuck down.. the call button only works 10% of the time.. the end button works to turn the screen on but if you hold it does not turn on the cell phone portion. And of course the center button does not do anything so I have to reset it to get into it.

This phone is my business line so I really need it. I'm gonna have to put my SIM back in my old phone for the weekend but I need to get it fixed ASAP.

I saw a little while back someone psoted a thread about how they combined two phones. I searched and could not find it becuase I forgot the reason for it.

I took it all apart and basically the buttons on the board inside the phone not the soft buttons on the outside are non functioning. So I'm trying to find someone with a dead phone I can salvage the keyboard out of or maybe someone who took several apart and has spare parts.

Its only been two weeks and the 650 has adapted well into my life, I really like using it but I"m not gonna spend another 500 bucks when I just did a few weeks back.. There is a nick in the cover so I dont' think I can get away with returning it on the I don't like it 30 day trial.

I am so pissed right now, this didnt' help that I was backed up on work before leaving for a wedding for the weekend...

this is a long shot but I'm leaving in 2 hours (about 10 am) for this wedding in mass and then off to marthas vineyard to visit my GFs sister for a nite. if anyone happens to have something up there I'd be willig to go find you and pick up the parts (unfortunately I cant' use my new mapopolis or bt-338 on this trip either.. my number is 732 407 4161.. card will temporarily be back in my noikia
  2.    #2  
    Scratch that.. I've gotta go buy a cheap phone becuase I just picked up my old nokia which I left the battery out of and apparently the SIM card holder broke off..
    first of a' I'm sorry for ur loss. but darn itm.....get a s650 skin case for your next treo. I have NOT dropped mine one time since feb 6th. I swear buy it. my treo spends more time in my hands then in my pocket. lockline ins for ur next phone wud be a good choice too,at least for the first year. chalk this drop up and move on, just make sure uve learned from it. I have le-ons in life in the past that have costed a lot more then the price of a new treo. Besides,think of the bright side u are helping palmone finance their future 650 rom updates :-)
    Don't buy a cheap phone!!!!1

1. Go buy new Treo 650.

2. Hotsync to get your data back.

3. Problem solved! All it takes is money.
    When you get it fixed, you might want to look into an INNOPOCKET case. They add a bit to the bulk of the phone, but are practically bullet proof - and will cushion a fall quite a bit.
    I agree with Tony. Buy a new Treo 650 and keep the old one around for spare parts. Any chance your credit card company has insurance on items purchased with it?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  7.    #7  
    gonna get a cheap pay as you go phone with my card in it to get me by for the next few days... didnt' mean it as a permanant solution, I just can't be without this phone.. Its my cell phone but also is my business line since I am not at my desk all day its not worth hving a land line.

I only got it two weeks ago so I had not decided which case I wanted.. all my other phones got dropped daily... stepped one.. etc but never died from that sort of thing.. This was the first phone I was super careful with buy my lifestyle (automotive performance shop owner) requires me to be very active and on my back leaning over etc. so it must stay in my pocket, I was trying to find the least bulky case.. should have bought all of them it would have been cheaper then this so far..

I think what the problem is the shift key is jammed and that is locking it up not allowing me to hit other buttons.. gonna take it back apart tonite and see if I an disable the right side shift key and hope that works.

I'm also gonna call the credit card company I bought on my citibank card luckily not my debit card, thanks for the advice there.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw
    I think what the problem is the shift key is jammed and that is locking it up not allowing me to hit other buttons.. gonna take it back apart tonite and see if I an disable the right side shift key and hope that works.
    Hopefully that will fix the problem. I think in some respects you might be lucky if that unlocks the keyboard (my first thought when you dropped it was that you busted the screen.)

I'm also gonna call the credit card company I bought on my citibank card luckily not my debit card, thanks for the advice there.
    Hopefully they will be able to take care of it for you. Keep us posted. Just another reason why it makes sense to buy it on the CC.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

9.    #9  
    It worked, didnt' get to it till sunday morning so I spent the entire 7 hour (traffic) drive from NJ to mass freaking out about my phone.. Then got the wedding and was not sober till the next morning so I barely thought about it. Took it apart figured, cut off the part over the right side shift key basiclly the springy part, That is what was busted. So removed that and it is working fine since all functions with the keyboard other then only having one shift key now work perfectly fine.

However I found when I tried to use the GPS that it said no card installed..I was hoping that I had just damaged the card with the drop since it was onlya day old it would be easy to return, no suck luck. Put it in a card read and ti was fine so there is something up with the card reader in the 650. I'm gonna open it up again and see if something came loose, but all that part is pretty well secured so I'm not sure if I can do anything. My dad spoke with two people at his office who have them and have dropped them, one is going to call me today with a place that repairs them, so hopefully I can work that out. The slot not working isnt' terrible but that means 200 bucks down the drain on the GPS stuff.

I also called the CC company while in line for gas on the NJturnpike (that was 30 minutes right there) Gave me the number right to mastercard and listed to all the options of how to go about getting it taken care of. I need to file a claim but I may need to bring it to an electronics shop and have them basically say it can't be repaired to get it covered or they can even say yes we can fix it and they will cover it up to 1000 bucks. So thats an option also.
    DON'T OPEN THE DEVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You will void your warranty. Take it back to where you got it, since you probably have had it less than a year. Do a hard reset and tell them that the device spontaneously hard resets randomly. Tell them it happened on the way to the store and that you spoke with a Teir 2 technician and they told you to have the phone replaced. They will replace it with a refurbished, but excellent condition, Treo 650. Since you will be complaining of an internal computer problem, the tech support at the store will give up almost instantly. I dropped my phone in my driveway the three seconds it was not in a case, and scuffed it really bad and damaged the camera in the fall. They replaced my Treo 650 with a refurbished unit when I told them about the resetting issue. They didn't even notice the scuff marks on it.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    My phone has fallen once while it wasn't in the case. Longest 1.5 seconds of my life. Isn't that pretty funny? You'd think these little devices were more important than our children they way our heart stops LOL.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by nicegoogly
    You will void your warranty.
    for starters I am not into scamming companies on warranty issues.

Secondly I opened the device.. yep I wrecked the little red sticker over the screw behind the rubber grommet on the back of the phone I'm going to hell.

I fix my own stuff, I dropped the phone it wasn't defective, so I check to see if my balls were still there and opened it up.. There is a big chip in the upper right corner and the writing on the B key is scrapped off and there is a big gouge in it. No way I'd have any luck just walking in and saying replace it.. They checked it all over when I brought back my first one that was giving me problems after 2 hours.

now that its working again I need to search for a case
    chris,

i've got the same problem....a stuck lower right shift key....and am atempting the same fix. i could use your help in phone disassembly.

i've removed the back cover and battery. i've removed the six torx screws that are visible...including the one behind the stylus.

i can pry the face plate open a little on the bottom but it is still sticking at the top.

what were your next steps in getting your treo open ?

thanks much,

dave
    Well, the retailer should STILL get the money for the phone. After all, it's not their fault.

But if you have insurance on purchases through the credit card, then you should use it. I actually make all pricey purchases on the Amex so I will be covered.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Well, the retailer should STILL get the money for the phone. After all, it's not their fault.

But if you have insurance on purchases through the credit card, then you should use it. I actually make all pricey purchases on the Amex so I will be covered.

Pamela
    I'm not sure, but perhaps the point was that card purchases (gold or platinum cards, most often) often carry their own insurance on purchases as an incentive to use the card.
    Yep - that's what I meant and wanted to point out. Didn't want others to get the impression they should try to force a chargeback because of a faulty phone (which many do, I'm sure).

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Yep - that's what I meant and wanted to point out. Didn't want others to get the impression they should try to force a chargeback because of a faulty phone (which many do, I'm sure).

Pamela
    I am surprised that someone would do that? (I am equally surprised that the cc companies would play along as well.) I guess, they would rather keep a happy card holder though.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Take it from a business owner. You'd be shocked at what people try to charge back. Heck, you can give their fingerprints on your store counter, and they'd still try to say they were never there.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nicegoogly
    You will void your warranty. Take it back to where you got it, since you probably have had it less than a year. Do a hard reset and tell them that the device spontaneously hard resets randomly. Tell them it happened on the way to the store and that you spoke with a Teir 2 technician and they told you to have the phone replaced. They will replace it with a refurbished, but excellent condition, Treo 650. Since you will be complaining of an internal computer problem, the tech support at the store will give up almost instantly. I dropped my phone in my driveway the three seconds it was not in a case, and scuffed it really bad and damaged the camera in the fall. They replaced my Treo 650 with a refurbished unit when I told them about the resetting issue. They didn't even notice the scuff marks on it.
    Wow. So what's it feel like to lack any basic form of morality and be so filled with utter selfishness that you would lie, intentionally, without any remorse? You're a sorry sack of #### and the fact that you would openly advertise this amazes me.
    By: mediasi at Yesterday 04:13 PM

Take it from a business owner. You'd be shocked at what people try to charge back. Heck, you can give their fingerprints on your store counter, and they'd still try to say they were never there.

Pamela

Hey you are completely right about this...I just never thought about this.