1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone,

I would like a starters guide for a new user - key hardware, firmware, OS updates, upgrades in particular, but anything else that one might find useful (or 'can't live without') as a new treo user. Just so you know I did search "newbie" and i got over 500 matches. Too many to go through!
    Thanks,

J
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    "Too many to go through" is not going to get you a lot of sympathy around here....did you bother looking at the sticky at the top of 650 hardware thread? That's a good place to start.
  3.    #3  
    Just found it - will do, thanks
    Welcome to the Treo Community!! (Many members spent 2 to 3 months browsing thru the threads before they bought, so browse around, see what interests you and then followw up!)

I would suggest loading the basic stuff that comes with the Treo 650 and run with that for awhile -- then start looking thru the threads for what might be better. Also, browse the software store -- that will give you an idea of what your Treo can do! What do you want it to do? There is probably software for it!

Definitely set up VersaMail -- wireless email is great! Also, check out the ability to browse the web. HandMark Express comes on the install disk and has a 30 day free trial -- try it -- lots of info in the Palm of your hand! Try www.skweezer.com to speed up your web access -- it eliminates the graphics. (The free trial for Express may be at www.handmark.com)

Do one thing at a time. Add 3rd party software one at a time and run with it for 2-3 days before adding another, this will allow you to check compatibility issues.

It's an iPod. RealPlayer comes installed, Pocket Tunes can be prurchased with more functionality. (Get and SD card, 1GB minimum if you will be doing music.)

Enjoy!

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/24/2005 at 10:13 PM.
    Bookmark my portal. You will find it helpful.
    <center>Ultimate portal
    www.WebOnYourCell.com
    I'm not touching this one...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Restraint?!? This is a new side of you! You know you missed the snowflake post earlier today under chat, around 1:28pm.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=88523
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Restraint?!?
    Hard though as it may seem...I shall not make any reference to handballing...

ooops

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Restraint?!? This is a new side of you! You know you missed the snowflake post earlier today under chat, around 1:28pm.
    It was locked by the time I came across it. I think the Mods should open it up for my 4,000th!

tippymn had their popcorn and drink all ready too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'm not touching this one...
    was that a freudian slip?
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.
    jk991199: you might also check out the 'top _ threads'. There are a lot of cool programs there too.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Yeah, I knew Insertion would show up with a "fisting" remark. . .

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Yeah, I knew Insertion would show up with a "fisting" remark. . .

Lol I thought of insertion when I saw this post also! Cant believe I missed this lastnight
    I nominate Perry as the official "I just got my Treo and what do I need..." thread first responder.

Perhaps the mods can trigger an autopost of Perry's based the right combination of key words in the thread title
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by jk991199
    Hey Everyone,

I would like a starters guide for a new user - key hardware, firmware, OS updates, upgrades in particular, but anything else that one might find useful (or 'can't live without') as a new treo user. Just so you know I did search "newbie" and i got over 500 matches. Too many to go through!
    Thanks,

J
    Hey J,

Before you load anything I would recommend you use the phone clean (without any apps) for a couple of days, just to make sure its working properly. Once you are confident your phone works consistently, I would recommend installing Uninstall Manager (www.northglide.com) and BackupBuddyVFS (www.bluenomad.com). These two programs will help you manage your Treo more effectively if you plan on adding a lot of programs.

Stick with apps that are made for the 650 - stay away from apps that don't specifically say they support the 650. Also, do regular checkpoint backups in case you need to restore to a previous point in time. A nice 1GB SD card would come in handy for this and many other uses.

Good luck!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    I nominate Perry as the official "I just got my Treo and what do I need..." thread first responder.

Perhaps the mods can trigger an autopost of Perry's based the right
    combination of key words in the thread title
    Thanks, Scotty! (But I did wait awhile, I left without responding after my first view of the post with just a heavy sigh.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/26/2005 at 10:46 PM.
  18.    #19  
    thanks to all - i knew I'd get the ususal "we get this post every day" kind of thing, so I really do appreciate the help along with the heavy sighs. Thanks.

And I tried to edit the post but it wouldn't let me change "fist" to "first", but I am glad it was able to generate some attention.

J