1.    #1  
    Hi Folks,

First post of many here, I'm sure. Nice to meetcha.

As my new Treo 650 from Verizon is charging, I have one question that a search didn't answer completely:

Can I simply restore via hotsync my user data (contacts, etc.) from my existing Palm Desktop install, barring software from the backup directory?

I have been using a Clié TG50 for years, and have the newest Palm Desktop version: 4.2.1. I understand that all my programs probably shouldn't be thrown at the Treo all at once, but how about my user data? I'm guessing the CD that came with the Treo has the same Palm Desktop version that I have, i.e. no Treo-specific version, or special conduits that I don't already have. Correct?

OK, I lied; I have one more question:

I remember reading that PalmOne, IIRC, was offering a free SD card to new Treo purchasers a while ago. I believe it was because of their switch to non-volatile RAM, reducing onboard storage. Is that offer still valid? Couldn't find any info on their site.

TIA for any info!

See you 'round,

-N
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I just upgraded from a TG50...

Yes, you can hotsync all your user data over.

1) Backup your TG50 one last time. I also recommend doing an MS backup one last time, and make a backup of that memory stick on your computer. Better safe than sorry!
    2) Remove (actually, just rename the backup directory) all the files in your "backup" folder. They're in the "Palm" or "Sony Handheld" directory, and the directory is under your hotsync name. In *my* case, the backup directory I'm suggesting renaming was "C:\Program Files\Palm\Van\Backup".
    3) Upgrade to the new Treo desktop software. This is important.
    4) Follow the instructions. At some point, you will hotsync your new Treo, and it will get the current desktop data synced to it.
    5) Now, play with your new phone/PDA. After you're confirmed that it's working, start the process of getting the latest versions of whatever software you were using and install it onto your Treo, one at a time. After each install, try out the new program and make sure it works and doesn't make your phone reset. This is a slow process, but will make trouble-shooting any problems much easier.

I found that I didn't bring over all my apps from my TG50.

-- Andyvan
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. It looks like you are running Windows, and this being the Mac forum I doubt your instructions apply.

I went ahead and used my existing PD install and after switching the conduits around, i.e. Address Book>Contacts, Date Book>Calendar, To Dos>Tasks, Memo Pad>Memos, it worked like a charm.

I have successfully installed Vindigo, Avantgo, ZLauncher, Converter, Pilot-DB, Filez, Graffiti Anywhere, IOU Mate, Password Wallet and Shadowmite's Verizon DUN hack. A few dozen more apps to go, and I'm looking good.

I am going through swings of loving the Treo and being disappointed, so the jury is still out, but I have 13 days to go on my test drive...
    Last edited by Nanook; 06/25/2005 at 07:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanook
    I am going through swings of loving the Treo and being disappointed, so the jury is still out, but I have 13 days to go on my test drive...
    If you live in CA, you should have 30 days to return it, not 14.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The law will (has?) changed and now California will be the same as elsewhere (14 days)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    The law will (has?) changed and now California will be the same as elsewhere (14 days)
    Darn, if only I had scrolled down to see your reply, I would have saved 5 minutes of scanning the literature that was in the box!