Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    At the risk of becoming flame-bait, I thought I'd bring a little balance to a place that loves to hate Palm.

Over the last month or so, the "P" key on my Unlocked GSM Treo 650 has been getting more and more intermittent. I decided to bite-the-bullet and call PalmOne to see what my options were (and had expectations of a pretty lousy phone experience). Well, I was wrong.

Within 20 minutes of dialing the number and navigating the numerous options and being warned that the call volume was heavy, a very pleasant guy listened - put me on hold for about 90 seconds and gave me two options (send it in for repair, or Palm will send a replacement and I can return the one with the defective keyboard). They did need a credit card number to send out the replacement unit against, and that is understandable. They told me that they would not charge to it unless I didn't return my old unit in the required time.

So, I have a service number and a commitment that within 4 days, or so, a replacement unit will arrive at my home. It will be interesting to see what version of firmware it has on it; the upgrade wasn't too bad though, so I'll just do it again if necessary.

Good things can (and do) happen. For those of you who are factoring customer support into your Treo 650 decision, I can tell you that it worked for me!
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    yeah but it's $27 for the replacement and if nothing turns out to be wrong you get double-hosed.

Took 3 calls to get a replacement shipped and I couldn't *stop* the shipment when my friendly palmOne vendor replaced my phone. It shipped 3 days AFTER I was promised (and 2 days after an airbill was generated).

palmOne said they'd refund the $27 but nothing.
    I've owned 1 Treo 650 and it's always worked great. Never had a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by chankla
    ...So, I have a service number and a commitment that within 4 days, or so, a replacement unit will arrive at my home. It will be interesting to see what version of firmware it has on it; the upgrade wasn't too bad though, so I'll just do it again if necessary.

Good things can (and do) happen. For those of you who are factoring customer support into your Treo 650 decision, I can tell you that it worked for me!

Sometimes you just get lucky and get a representative that is trained in true customer service. Not a common occurence in my experience with PalmOne the past 5 years. But as I said, occasionally you will get lucky.

But I would wait until you actually get your unit before posting such an upbeat report. Many of us have received empty promises, dead batteries, and other strange stuff from PalmOne. And sometimes everything comes in good condition. It's hit or miss with PalmOne (and many large tech companies), so be prepared to revise your critique once (and if) the replacement phone comes. I've long given up hope that Palm(One) service will ever be as good as it was back in 1997,8,9 before it started sliding into the abyss. Growing pains, I guess.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by chankla
    At the risk of becoming flame-bait, I thought I'd bring a little balance to a place that loves to hate Palm.

Hopefully it all works out for you. Keep us posted.

Whenever possible, I try to go into the Sprint store. That way I can associate a name with a face.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Sorry for the late post. I got home late.
    The new Treo 650 arrived today. Nice condition. The silkscreened letters were just a touch less bold than on my old unit and the firmware hadn't been upgraded to the latest.
    So, a few minutes later, after doing the upgrade to 1.13, I decided to do a clean install of all my applications (ugh, reg codes re-entered). Then I got my new egrips on and a fresh Brando screen saver and I am good to go.

Tomorrow, I'll set up my Versamail accounts fresh and get DHL to pick up the old one Treo 650 at the office.

I guess I lucked out here. Things seemed to go smoothly. But I am going to keep an eye on my credit card, just in case...