Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All,

Please use this forum thread (or the one I have at GoTreoSoftware.com) to discuss support issues for ProfileCare.

Thanks,

Jeff
    I want to report the good news that PC 1.4.8 has been working well for the last 2 days. It has gone through many timed profile changes without the slowdown symptoms.

I have all pop-up displays disabled (Alert window on profile changes, Status window on power-up).

I used to have another conflict (reported in http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=88453 ) that I have taken care of by deleting Realplayer 1.6.1. On one slowdown occasion, the crash was reported in Keyboard.prc that gave me the hint to look at that. Maybe resolving that provided the reson for the slowdowns going away .. who knows .. Such slowdowns would also occur occasionaly when a network activity was cancelled in the middle of a download or logging in.

Anyhow, all seems to be well, for now. Should I enable sosme of the pop-up windows in PC?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I want to report the good news that PC 1.4.8 has been working well for the last 2 days. It has gone through many timed profile changes without the slowdown symptoms.

I have all pop-up displays disabled (Alert window on profile changes, Status window on power-up).

I used to have another conflict (reported in http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=88453 ) that I have taken care of by deleting Realplayer 1.6.1. On one slowdown occasion, the crash was reported in Keyboard.prc that gave me the hint to look at that. Maybe resolving that provided the reson for the slowdowns going away .. who knows .. Such slowdowns would also occur occasionaly when a network activity was cancelled in the middle of a download or logging in.

Anyhow, all seems to be well, for now. Should I enable sosme of the pop-up windows in PC?
    That is awesome news!!!!

Yea, I think enabling the Alert Window would be a good thing at this point. I am curious about the RealPlayer conflict. Was RP active at the time of crashes or simply installed on the Treo?

Also, do you have KBLights installed by any chance? I found another user that was running this KB program and it was causing crashes during profile switching.

Jeff
    RP 1.6.1 was installed but never used (I use Ptunes). RP 1.6.0 is in the Cingular Treo ROM, and I had updated it to the latest (because I have to have the latest of everything).

I don't have KBLights installed.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    A reliable way to see the KB flashing ..

Use the beta version of 4cast that has automatic updates. In the Night and Overnight modes (I noticed it this evening.. the phenomena may be ocurring in all modes that switch off the KB lights), when the pop-up box from 4cast comes on, warning about the impending weather update process, that pop-up box has a countdown (10 seconds, I believe). The KB flashes quite visibly during the time (10 sec) that 4cast pop-up window is active.

KB also flashes once (I'm seeing this in Overnight mode .. may also happen otherwise) when I press the power button to activate the screen (Overnight mode disables Keyguard).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  6.    #6  
    A reliable way to see the KB flashing ..

Use the beta version of 4cast that has automatic updates. In the Night and Overnight modes (I noticed it this evening.. the phenomena may be ocurring in all modes that switch off the KB lights), when the pop-up box from 4cast comes on, warning about the impending weather update process, that pop-up box has a countdown (10 seconds, I believe). The KB flashes quite visibly during the time (10 sec) that 4cast pop-up window is active.

KB also flashes once (I'm seeing this in Overnight mode .. may also happen otherwise) when I press the power button to activate the screen (Overnight mode disables Keyguard).
    There is a very bizzarr behvior tot he new KB dimming in the new ROM's. When ever the screen brightness is changed or the day/night mode is toggled, the KB lights will lightup if they were turned off before the change! So what PC is doing is trying to maintain the KB off state when these types of events happen. So that is why you are seeing the "flash". I am trying to stop the flash on power up but for the time being this "feature" exists in the system. Just call it the verification that your button press will actually turn on the Treo. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...ies/tongue.gif

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    There is a very bizzarr behvior tot he new KB dimming in the new ROM's. When ever the screen brightness is changed or the day/night mode is toggled, the KB lights will lightup if they were turned off before the change! So what PC is doing is trying to maintain the KB off state when these types of events happen. So that is why you are seeing the "flash". I am trying to stop the flash on power up but for the time being this "feature" exists in the system. Just call it the verification that your button press will actually turn on the Treo. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...ies/tongue.gif

Jeff
    But I'm using the older ROM on GSM phone. Cingular has not released their new ROM update ..

Did you checkout the laser light show with the 4cast 1.62 (05d) pop-up screen ?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Using ver 1.4.9:

I have "Show global status window at power-on" enabled in Global options.

However, this window does not appear on power-on. I can't make this pop-up appear in any way that I know of..

The currently active profiles are Default and Day.

This version did fix a bug in the Status Window (both columns in the sound settings are showing the Vibrate mode, (as I have changed my Default ptofile to vibrate in both columns and Day has dashes for all sound settings)). That should be the way to show it, the way I understand it.

I disable PC, do a reset and install the new files you posted. The About shows 1.4.9 in PC and when I run SC-Hotkey (lower right side of the Status window)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I may have to retract my previous post. It has been a few minutes and now I do see the Active Profiles pop-up screen on power-on. Strange. Is there a time-out of some kind?

I swear that immediately after installing 1.4.9, I could not get the Active Proviles pop-up ....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  10.    #10  
    I may have to retract my previous post. It has been a few minutes and now I do see the Active Profiles pop-up screen on power-on. Strange. Is there a time-out of some kind?

I swear that immediately after installing 1.4.9, I could not get the Active Proviles pop-up ....
    That is the behavior you will see if you do not disable PC/SC before doing the upgrade. Also a good idea to then install the update and then do a soft reset.. Then re-enable PC and/or SC.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Same issue here:
    - lots of slow down (3 in the last 24h... I was forced to soft reset twice) just after I bought and installed PC and VC...
    - the "Profile switcher" window pop-up every time I'm doing a capital char (with right or left shift key) even after I removed the hotkey settings for the "Pres & Hold Left shift" (right on is assigned to "Manual Profile Hotkey")

I'm on a Treo, French Orange GSM Firmware 1.21 freshly hard reseted and reinstalled whith only know and already & personnaly validated apps (ptunes, key suite, backupman, uninstall manager, card export). I'm running the last build of VC (2.11) and PC (1.5.1 for every component). No KBlights or Keycaps running. RP is present but not used.

Jeff, any idea how I could improve the current situation which is pretty bad... However VC works fine and that is great

I've found that:

- when I soft-reset with the help of SoftReset, the phone sometimes soft reset twice by itself

- when there is a slowdown it sometimes seems to be related with the phone startup (during one slow down I was stuck on the phone starting screen, except that the phone was already running... maybe a check that is not working in PC, my current profile enfores "Radio ON")

- it seems that it occurs only when in the app manager not in another app (I tried to launch PC, it took a veryyyy long time but as soon as I was in the app it was ok, when I went back to the app manager it was very very slow).

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Cheers,
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerome
    Same issue here:
    - lots of slow down (3 in the last 24h... I was forced to soft reset twice) just after I bought and installed PC and VC...
    This was definitely a known problem with 1.4.4?

- the "Profile switcher" window pop-up every time I'm doing a capital char (with right or left shift key) even after I removed the hotkey settings for the "Pres & Hold Left shift" (right on is assigned to "Manual Profile Hotkey")
    I do not understand what your current setting is for Manual Profile HotKey.

I'm on a Treo, French Orange GSM Firmware 1.21 freshly hard reseted and reinstalled whith only know and already & personnaly validated apps (ptunes, key suite, backupman, uninstall manager, card export). I'm running the last build of VC (2.11) and PC (1.5.1 for every component). No KBlights or Keycaps running. RP is present but not used.
    V1.5.1 is new as of about 5 hours ago. I am surprised to hear you are still seeing a slow down with this release.

Jeff, any idea how I could improve the current situation which is pretty bad... However VC works fine and that is great
    I agree and I am trying as hard as I can to get this fixed. It appears to be limited to GSM phones. I don't have one so it makes the debugging process difficult.

I've found that:

- when I soft-reset with the help of SoftReset, the phone sometimes soft reset twice by itself

- when there is a slowdown it sometimes seems to be related with the phone startup (during one slow down I was stuck on the phone starting screen, except that the phone was already running... maybe a check that is not working in PC, my current profile enfores "Radio ON")
    Do you have more than one application trying to control the radio state?
    Did the situation you are talking about happen right after a soft reset?

- it seems that it occurs only when in the app manager not in another app (I tried to launch PC, it took a veryyyy long time but as soon as I was in the app it was ok, when I went back to the app manager it was very very slow).
    Can you send me the following files?

SC-PreferencesDB
    SC-ProfileDB
    SC-StrProfileDB
    SC-KeyboardDB

Thanks,

Jeff
  13.    #13  
    I think I found the real reason for the slow downs. Version 1.5.3 is posted in the EA download side of my website.

Jeff
    The updates are coming too fast and furious for me to keep up. I like it !! :-)

I'm reporting this with 1.5.2. I'll check the latest soon.

If PC is enabled, the "sticky" version of shift and option don't work. This is the basic feature of the keyboard when typing memos, or text: press shift twice and it shows the broken up arrow in the lower right corner .. likewise with Option pressed twice showing the underlined dot in the lower right corner..

That doesn't work in any application if PC is enabled. If PC is disabled (no reset needed after disabling PC), the sticky keys are back to normal.

I'm using Default and Night profiles at the moment.

PS: I haven't had ANY slowdowns since I deleted RealPlayer 1.6.1 (it didn't play well with UWK Keyboard driver 1.08). The status screen and alert screen are enabled. Cingular GSM phone.

PPS: Even though I have Keyboard 1.08 installed, it is always disabled, including the testing reported on in this message.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  15.    #15  
    The updates are coming too fast and furious for me to keep up. I like it !! :-)

I'm reporting this with 1.5.2. I'll check the latest soon.

If PC is enabled, the "sticky" version of shift and option don't work. This is the basic feature of the keyboard when typing memos, or text: press shift twice and it shows the broken up arrow in the lower right corner .. likewise with Option pressed twice showing the underlined dot in the lower right corner..

That doesn't work in any application if PC is enabled. If PC is disabled (no reset needed after disabling PC), the sticky keys are back to normal.

I'm using Default and Night profiles at the moment.

PS: I haven't had ANY slowdowns since I deleted RealPlayer 1.6.1 (it didn't play well with UWK Keyboard driver 1.08). The status screen and alert screen are enabled. Cingular GSM phone.

PPS: Even though I have Keyboard 1.08 installed, it is always disabled, including the testing reported on in this message.
    You are right about the Option/Shift key. The fix I put in to clear this lingering state after a hotkey broke the general behavior. I'll will fix as soon as I can.

I just had a major drive failure on my development box 5 minutes ago! It will take me several hours to restore my development environment on another machine.

Jeff
    Sorry to hear that! It takes me a few days to fully rebuild my system from scratch. Hopefully, you had a recent DriveImage or Ghost image.

When you release the next version, could you include the version # in the file resource (or whatever Palm OS or FileZ uses to display version #?) That will help us verify that the updates are getting installed correctly.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Jeff,

I installed 1.5.3. PC switched to Overnight at 10:30PM and the slowdown came back :-( This was with the "Alert screen on switching"and "Status screen on power up" enabled.

I could either

a) disable all pop-up screens in PC or
    b) go back to 1.5.2

and test for a few days. Maybe there is something about the Night -> Overnight transition that sets this off?

Which of the 2 options above do you want me to test?

PS: Could you keep an archive of the older copies available in the Early Access web page? Just add the latest versions at the top of a list of prior early releases ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  18.    #18  
    Jeff,

I installed 1.5.3. PC switched to Overnight at 10:30PM and the slowdown came back :-( This was with the "Alert screen on switching"and "Status screen on power up" enabled.

I could either

a) disable all pop-up screens in PC or
    b) go back to 1.5.2

and test for a few days. Maybe there is something about the Night -> Overnight transition that sets this off?

Which of the 2 options above do you want me to test?

PS: Could you keep an archive of the older copies available in the Early Access web page? Just add the latest versions at the top of a list of prior early releases ...
    I am back up and running again. I have posted a new version v1.5.4 for you to try after you try Option A above. This new version will most likely have some unexpected KB light behavior but it will help me understand if the KB code is the problem.

This problem is not showing up on my Sprint 1.12 650. So I think this is localize ot GSM models. Can you tell me again your 650 type and ROM version? It would also help to have the following files from you.

SC-PreferencesDB
    SC-ProfileDB
    SC-StrProfileDB
    SC-KeyBoardDB

Jeff
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Running v1.5.1, still lots of slow down, please find enclosed my files.
    I'm going to try 1.5.5 this morning.

Regarding the problem with the hotkey, I've the following parameters in PC "Global options" :
    - "Power On..." is unassigned
    - "Manual profile..." is assigned to "Press and hold right shift"
    - KB Light..." is assigned to "Double side button"

With that settings, every time I use the left or the right shift key to have a capital char, the "Profile switcher" window pops-up... I have to press "Close" and it's ok, but it is very annoying...

Thanks in advance for your support,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    PC 1.5.3 survived the Overnight -> Day transition without slowdowns, with Status and Alert screens off.

Here are the profiles etc that caused the slowdown last night (Night -> Overnight with the screens enabled).

I have installed 1.5.5 and will run it with the screens disabled for a few days.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast