Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I noticed a traffic for treo application on sprint.handango.com. It's at the top of new software in the travel category. The site does not allow me to download software onto my computer, and for some reason, I have not been able to access it on my Treo. Is anyone able to get it? I'd be interested in knowing if it's any good.

The application does not appear to be available anywhere else. I tried palmblvd, eurocool, mytreo.net, treobits, palm's site, regular handango, software downloads through vision homepage, and here. I've also been unable to determine who makes the software.
  2.    #22  
    I officially worship Steve L. I only regret that TC didn't notify me of this update until right now. Could have and this will save(d) me TENS of hours a year, if not HUNDREDS of hours, a year. Think I'm exaggerating? Live in LA for a day.

Desperately love you all.
    End of Line.
    Ok. Figured it out. In case anyone wants it, http://www.palm.com/us/software/traffic. Also, it's possible to save a trial copy to your pc using IE. Firefox is what didn't work for me.

The application itself seems pretty good. If there's an apparent flaw upon first running the program, there might be too much information. Then again, it's rush hour. I am not driving, so someone else will need to vouch for its accuracy. Traffic details are available for Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Houston, LA, New York, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington/Baltimore, and the surrounding areas of each of those. For example, New York also has New Jersey. Long Island, and part of New York State/Connecticut. The program can be set to do periodic updates every X minutes. I'd prefer if it could be set to do updates between 7-9 and 4-6 or something more flexible that doesn't need to be turned off when I'm at work, but it's better than having to go find the data myself. There's a good ability to zoom in/out and move around the map. Clicking on a road marked with an incident tells you more detail.

Edit: There's also the ability to bookmark specific locations on the map. The downloaded program is a 14 day trial with all cities. It's available for purchase in 1, 2, and all cities licenses. It's unclear if it's a limited time purchase or lifetime.
    Quote Originally Posted by hersko
    Ok. Figured it out. In case anyone wants it, http://www.palm.com/us/software/traffic. Also, it's possible to save a trial copy to your pc using IE. Firefox is what didn't work for me.

Edit: There's also the ability to bookmark specific locations on the map. The downloaded program is a 14 day trial with all cities. It's available for purchase in 1, 2, and all cities licenses. It's unclear if it's a limited time purchase or lifetime.
    Says "monthly fee"; that's pretty spendy. I'm cool with paying a developer a one-time shot for a good program, but to pay them monthly for data you already pay for with your tax dollars is not so cool for me, and there are a number of traffic programs that you only pay for once (or, in the Seattle area, donation only: http://www.pdatraffic.com/)
    Quote Originally Posted by hersko
    For example, New York also has New Jersey. Long Island, and part of New York State/Connecticut.

Hersko,
    Thanks for the info. Would you please confirm that the NY map extends *all* the way out to eastern long islang (i.e. to Montauk)? If not, where does it stop?

Thanks!
    TM
    DC area has www.trafficland.com

you can find your camera, and then bookmark it, for ease of use.
    there is a paid version, but I find the free version with cameras that update images in seconds works well.
    Treo 650 user since 1/05
    Favorite app. = Pocket Tunes (Streaming audio through Shoutcast.com ).
    There's a 14 day free trial so you can try for yourself. The farthest active alert right now is a delay at exit 49 on the LIE. I'm not sure how far out the data actually goes, but the entire thing's on the map.
    Unfortunately, the new Palm Traffic program is "useless" in the Los Angeles area. I tried it for about 10 minutes, then had to get rid of it.
    The Palm Traffic program flags "any" freeway sensor where the speed is below "posted speed limits", each way on the freeway. Unfortunately at rush hour, EVERHWHERE in the Los Angeles area traffic is below the speed limit! So, when you turn the program on, all you get is a sea of flashing red dots - the entire area is flashing like an A-Bomb just hit. Dots over dots over dots - north, south, east and west.
    It was a great idea, but it just does not work. I'll continue to use (everyday) a combination of traffic maps and info on my Treo 650 from Sigalert.com and Tann.net. Combine this with URL's for a few traffic cams, I've saved hours of delays with what's available over the net - and for FREE!
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I agree - everything comes up red!! Plus, as far as I could tell, the information is substantially different from the DOT maps - the Traffic program showed a sigalert where DOT showed regular traffic flow. I'm going to try it for a bit, but in L.A. we really something better.
    It's not working in Atlanta either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    I agree - everything comes up red!! Plus, as far as I could tell, the information is substantially different from the DOT maps - the Traffic program showed a sigalert where DOT showed regular traffic flow. I'm going to try it for a bit, but in L.A. we really something better.
    I travel quite a bit between the east coast and west coast. Is there a link where I can find DOT maps for the major cities (LA, SF, SD, NY, BOS, PHIL, DC) on both coasts?
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I use sigalert.com, which - at least for LA - uses California DOT sensors. They have a reasonably good wireless implementation - maps too small to read, but you can get sensor-by-sensor freeway information and set up your own routes. Also try tann.com.
    any programs like this for Connecticut?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12