1.    #1  
    Hi,

I am new to treo devices.I am interested in devloping walkie-Talkie application for Two Treo 600 or Treo 650 devices. can anybody tell me is it possible for palmos devices. If not possible why? Thanks in advance.
    That would be really cool for very short range comms.

Before we even consider the possibilities, are you an RF engineer/tech/designer/integrator?

Do you understand the radio innards and capabilities inside a typical cellular phone?

Do you understand how typical walkie talkies work?

I really wouldnt think you can manipulate/control the radio from the O/S level.

What are your assumptions and ideas for the project.

73's,
    Last edited by car_designer; 06/24/2005 at 08:39 PM.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
  3.    #3  
    Hi,

First of all Thank you for ur responce.
    Let me introduce my self. I am working as a software engineer in Mobile and Wireless since 3 years.

Coming to the application...

Do you understand the radio innards and capabilities inside a typical cellular phone?

----no exact idea-----

But, according to my R&D, for audio streaming we need to create SCO links which is not possible using current OS version. The bluetooth profile A2DP is not available with bluetooth 1.1.

I have done with recording and playing audio stream.now can i send the recorded audio file using ACL link. By this the application may run very slow.But..I want to try with that.
    what i want to know is , what is the maximum size of MTU that can be send over bluetooth using BtlibSocketsend(). I have gone through various sites...But i found different... views on MTU with different maximum values .

I am really confused.

can nu help me ... in any way so that i can proceed further.

Or, if u have any different idea....or any kind of suggestions ..I will be very thankful to u.
    Quote Originally Posted by HaiAll
    Hi,

I am new to treo devices.I am interested in devloping walkie-Talkie application for Two Treo 600 or Treo 650 devices. can anybody tell me is it possible for palmos devices. If not possible why? Thanks in advance.
    Hmmm... Well I know that Orange already offers the Kodiak PTT client addon for Treos on its' network. And since PTT is basically half duplex VoIP, I'ld imagine the type of app you're taking about is definitely possible...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    Hi,

thanks alot. But...now i need to see how can i use that feature. Is that something that i can download and use ... or any library......or.... hmmmmmmmmm..

if u have any idea please let me know.
    You should probably start somewhere here:

http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/do...honyBasic.html

Sorry, I can't be more helpful...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I think you are trying to send voice over bluetooth for your walkie-talkie type communication, is that correct?
    I wouldn't think that would be too useful, since the Treo 650 has such a short BT range. I wouldnt think you could maintain a connection more than 50 feet or so.

If you are trying to facilitate this over the phone/data network, my experience is that it does not work as well as nextel. Sprint already markets that feature called ready link.

The third and most promising way would be to use the cell radio as a transmitter/receiver directly between two phones, bypassing the cell tower. That would be really cool, but you might cause interference to other cell users....

something to think about.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
  8.    #8  
    Hi,

Exactly. I want to send voice over blurtooth. No problem even if it is a short range distance. Because I believe in , once there is an application working ..we can later make changes so that it works according to the requirement.

Thanks for ur information. But..i will be happy if u can help me ...the maximum data(MTU) we can send over blurtooth.

using the cell radio as transmitter/recieer........ I am looking into it.

once again thanks alot.
    Kodiak is now offerd by Cingular and works over any GSM network this would say that with the correct setting for cingulars network and the software download from Orange Europe would enable your treo to instantly work with the PTT network from cingular. I can get all the settings needed but haven't found a site to download the software yet.

Not sure if this is worth anything to you since you plan on doing walkie talkie with BT. I might recomend string and a pair of cans you would get better range with that. J/K
    I'm very interested in utilizing Cingular's PTT on the Treo by using the Orange software. I can get the software, but I hear it doesn't have a place to "input" new settings. Perhaps we can recruit someone to crack the app so we can change the settings? If anyone is with me on this I will get the app. Let me know.
    My Treo's Stats:
    650 Unlocked/Unbranded GSM <br>1.71 Firmware w/ 1.20 ENA
    Carrier: Cingular
    Current BT Headset: Treo Wireless
    GPS: TomTom5 + BT338
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer
    I wouldn't think that would be too useful, since the Treo 650 has such a short BT range. I wouldnt think you could maintain a connection more than 50 feet or so.
    Actually the bluetooth spec only allows a maximum range of 32 feet. Here is a page with good bluetooth info.

http://www.mobileinfo.com/Bluetooth/FAQ.htm