1.    #1  
    I have the T-Mobile $19.99 unlimited internet plan for my Treo 600 and would like to use the internet service on my Mac Powerbook from the road. I've read enough on here to see that it MIGHT be possible to get the Treo working as a modem using third party software, but it doesn't look easy or dependable.

How about if I bought a PC card like the Sony Ericsson GC79 (without activating new service)? It takes a SIM card, right? What if I took my SIM card out of the Treo and used it in the card? Would that work? Obviously, I wouldn't be able to use the phone and the PC card at the same time, but considering it would only cost me the price of the card (and no additional monthly fees), it might be worth it for the short time I need to get online.

If that works, is the GC79 the best way to go? The site actually says it's Windows only, but it's the only one currently offered by TMO. I don't need Wi-Fi in the card because I already have Airport in my Powerbook.

Thanks,

DB
    Just thought i'd check to see if you ever did it - does it work?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by iwbyte
    Just thought i'd check to see if you ever did it - does it work?
    Yes, perfectly. I bought the Sony Ericsson GC82 PC Card on ebay and just switch the SIM card from Treo to card when I need it. The connection is slow as molasses, but not any slower than the Treo and it's generally pretty stable -- even on the train from Boston to Washington.
    And this is on a powerbook G4 I assume? What OS? DId you need to find drivers?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by iwbyte
    And this is on a powerbook G4 I assume? What OS? DId you need to find drivers?
    Yes, G4 PB running 10.3.9. Oh yeah, I used this site http://fedward.org/GC82/ to figure out how to set it up.