1.    #1  
    Just a thought about getting a good backup. I recently was unable to restore my Treo 650 after a ROM update, despite having three seperate backups using different software. After restoring everything manually I thought it over and here is what I came up with...

I have been backing up with a lot of programs running. Tonight after I made a list of the ones I have running, I was startled at just how many I had. Here is the list:

4Cast, Refresh weather
    AutoSync, nightly scheduled HotSync
    BBVFS Pro, nightly scheduled backup
    BlueTooth, bluetooth Radio
    CalconTop, popup calculator
    ClipPro, popup clipboard
    Crash, reset monitor
    DALauncher, popup applet launcher
    LauncherX, replacement launcher
    Keyboard, wireless keyboard monitor/driver
    McPhling, application switcher
    Phone (Radio), phone radio
    ScreenShot, screen shot capture
    Snappermail, autofetch mail
    TreoAreaCodes, call monitor display

Some of these could be completely harmless to a good backup and restore, but at least one of them is a showstopper on my machine. I am quite sure it is more then one, and positive that it is the combination that has foiled my three seperate backup applications.

I am sure there are more applications out there that can stop a good restore, but these are the ones I have on my 650.

I thought I might share this for some of the newer users of the PalmOS. Obviously if you are a seasoned veteran of the Palm world, you knew this already and are probably wondering why I tried to backup with all this running... I didn't realize how many I had, and hadn't given it much thought, but now I have a good backup without anything running at all, so at least I learned my lesson, despite having known better...

So, in short...don't expect to get a reliable backup and restore if you are backing up with any system extensions, monitors or scheduled programs running. They can seriously ruin your night!

Hope this helps somebody....
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    How about this idea:

Do a warm reset (Up key while resetting). That will be a "clean boot" with no applications running and hopefully, no open files. Then use BBVFS off the SD card to backup.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    How about this idea:

Do a warm reset (Up key while resetting). That will be a "clean boot" with no applications running and hopefully, no open files. Then use BBVFS off the SD card to backup.
    When I do an update or install a Custom ROM, that is exactly what I do. I do a backup after a warm reset and then to do the restore, I do a warm reset and then restore. I have used BackupBuddy, BackupMan, and Botzam Backup with this method and have never had a problem. At least once a week I do a warm reset backup just to be safe. I do daily with scheduled and have had to do a restore with one of those and it was okay. But after hearing the numerous horror stories on backups and restores, I opted for the warm reset backup/restore.
    ActiveSync can sometimes "lock" the Calendar file when the radio is on (and certainly when Versamail is actively syncing) - another danger program to add to your list!