1.    #1  
    I'm in a quandry -- I have a belkin adapter on my laptop. When I use the Belkin drivers DUN works, but BT hotsync loses it's connection everytime.

If I use the Win SP2 BT drivers I can hot sync just fine, but I get an "access denied" error when I try to use BT DUN services. I think the problem is that I can't get Windows to add the treo as a modem, even though it does detect it and I choose it.

Am I doing something in the wrong order, or what? Do I make sure DUN is turned on or off when it is searching for the modem. Surely someone else has set this up correctly with SP2 drivers. Help please!
  2.    #2  
    I've searched high and low and no one answers how to set up DUN on Windows SP2. All that clamoring for DUN, and no one knows how to make it work on a Windows PC?

There are no KB articles about it on Palm One, following the KB procedure at MS does not work, I cannot find anything via google, and even here, thought the question has been asked many times, no one every answers it. So, no one here knows how to set it up either? Wow!

So, did Palm give us DUN only for it to be unusable to the 98% of us running Windows?
    I use it every day on Windows xp SP2. I figured it out from reading the existing threads on the subject.

DUN is fairly simple to use and straight forward. 99% of the problems people have with it are because of the computer or the bluetooth adaptor or setup, NOT the Treo 650...
    I had to use the driver that came with my BT adapter. And unfortunately this was undocumented. I had to do an "update driver" in the device manager, and then it worked fine.
    But you don't need to post two threads on the same topic. . .
  7.    #7  
    So you're keeping it a secret I guess.
    I posted my answer in your other thread, which was started less than an hour before this one. But actually I don't have a step by step procedure written down. However, if you looked around you might find a lot of information. . .
  9.    #9  
    Well, like I said, the driver that came with my Belkin adapter leaves the hot sync not working, so that's not really an option. Thanks anyway.
    I am a newjack on this forum and I used the instructions located on this sites home page. I am surfing at 115kps on my dell inspiron laptop. and unlike my previuos phone the connection stays connected and images appear crisp and sharp. Its great.
  11.    #11  
    Hey Tony, I've literally been looking around for EIGHT solid hours including here, the Palm One KB, MS KB, and googling. I've come to the conclusion that it should be illegal to sell computer crap that doesn't work and doesn't come with adequate support.
  12.    #12  
    Shadow, it certainly SHOULD BE. Unfortunately a belkin adapter, a brand new gateway laptop, and the Treo have conspired to take 8 hours out of my life that I'll never get back. In general the 650 is just buggy as hell. I've had no end of trouble with it from day one, like lots of readers here.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MagsD
    Hey Tony, I've literally been looking around for EIGHT solid hours including here, the Palm One KB, MS KB, and googling. I've come to the conclusion that it should be illegal to sell computer crap that doesn't work and doesn't come with adequate support.
    Given that others have it working have you considered that maybe one of the other components in your setup is faulty?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I'll take a stab at this, since I also have had some trouble getting it to work. I got a new D-Link adaptor from Radio Shack for my Dell Laptop. I installed the software that came with the D Link and then plugged in the USB Bluetooth device. My phone easily paired with it. I then enabled DUN on the Treo 650. From there, go into "Connections" in your XP start menu and establish a new dial-up connection. The 1.12 manual says to use a phone number of #777. After you go into the connection, choose the Treo and enable DUN on the computer side. (I had some trouble finding this, so be patient and look carefully for it. I got some window that came up and had a link to "bluetooth connections" and it was in there. From that window, choose the second tab and click on the bottom right button for "advanced" I think.

For what it's worth...the first night I tried, it DID NOT WORK. I tried again the next day and finally got it to work, but not that well. I also did not know about that #777 and was just using a number for a dial-up account I have. I don't know if that had anything to do with my connection stability, but I don't have a good Sprint signal at home or in the office to test this. I need to be somewhere wiht a solid Sprint signal to really see if the #777 has an effect.

Good Luck!

Bob

Oh...another thing. The program "My Bluetooth Places" does absolutely nothing on my computer!
  15.    #15  
    DO others have it working? Not that I can tell. And if they do, how? That's the crux of my question. If there is a thread I have missed that discusses this I'd like a pointer to it since my searches have pretty much yielded nothing but questions with no response.
  16.    #16  
    Bob, thanks. Maybe I will trade the Belkin in for the d-Link and hope for the best since no one seems to be able to explain how to make it work -- not even Belkins tech support.

As for the "My bluetooth places" doing nothing -- that means the win sp2 XP drivers have taken over and you aren't using the d-link drivers. I was able to get that much out of Belkin tech support.

12 hrs, and still not working. Why do computers have to be such a PITA?
    So you're keeping it a secret I guess.
    "you'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar"

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=error+692
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    from my limited experience, DONT use the XP SP2 drivers...windows has issues with blue tooth. Use the drivers that came with your Belkin. I had trouble when I first installed the BT device on my notebook, XP tried to force its drivers on the install, once I deleted those drivers and installed the manufactures drivers everything started working.
  19.    #19  
    Thank you, Jedi -- that did it. And thanks to Varoomba too! I don't feel so stupid now that I see it took 5 pages of instructions to explain it. Sorry if I responded with a little vinegar. 8 hrs of searching and working on this just had me ready to tear my hair out!
    Thank you, Jedi -- that did it. And thanks to Varoomba too! I don't feel so stupid now that I see it took 5 pages of instructions to explain it. Sorry if I responded with a little vinegar. 8 hrs of searching and working on this just had me ready to tear my hair out!
    Wow, that's great. I wasn't sure if the link would be helpful enough. I guess it was. Welcome to BtDUN.

And a Thanks has to go to Shadowmite, who patched the original BtManager and probably influenced Palm and Sprint to work harder on a stable BtDUN inplementation.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.