1.    #1  
    Has anyone heard when Cingular might release the GSM firmware update for their locked phones?
    Simply put:

No one knows.
    Who cares! I installed the Unlocked GSM update on my (locked) Cingular Treos (2 of them) this morning and all is fine. I lost the Cingular splash screen but I gained memory and DUN!

Dunc
    Would you believe...just in time for the release of the Treo 7XX?

I think I'm going to go the unlocked route as well and leave Cingular in the dust, since I don't intend to ever use Xpress Mail.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    Who cares! I installed the Unlocked GSM update on my (locked) Cingular Treos (2 of them) this morning and all is fine. I lost the Cingular splash screen but I gained memory and DUN!

Dunc
    Those of us who don't wish to be tied forever to the unlocked GSM route care.
    Not to mention voiding your warentee if anyone still cares about that anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkdamark
    Absolutely. There's that too.
    I exchanged my defective unit via UPS/whatever to Cingular (or PalmOne, I can't remember) with the unlocked 1.23 ROM and nothing bad has happened....no wait AAAAHH!!!....
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder.com
    I exchanged my defective unit via UPS/whatever to Cingular (or PalmOne, I can't remember) with the unlocked 1.23 ROM and nothing bad has happened....no wait AAAAHH!!!....
    Indeed. All the service center is going to care about is that you send back all the expensive bits: phone, battery, charger, and maybe the headset. They're not going to turn every one on to see what firmware it has - they're just going to dump thim into bins for repair or refurbishment.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Is there any advantage to not going with the unlocked version? Less cingular crap to hog memory is all I can think of...
    Do you Cingular 1.04 users experience a great deal of resets and instability? Is it that bad with the 1.04?
    I've got a Cingular (unlocked) 650 with Firmware 1.05/Software: 1.04-CNG and I have very few resets. I don't have a ton of apps loaded and I only use apps that clearly say they're for OS5 or Treo 650. I mostly use it for:

phone
    calendar
    contacts
    e-mail (using VersaMail)
    web (using Blazer)
    eWallet
    Pocket Quicken
    Butler
    BackupBuddy
    Uninstall Manager

As a replacement for a US phone (Verizon), unlocked international phone, and a PPC PDA, I've been very happy with Cingular and my 650, including during several trips outside the US. I'm even happier now that Cingular lowered their MediaNet Unlimited price from 24.99 to 19.99.

I'm waiting for the Cingular upgrade to see if it opens the BT DUN option. If it doesn't then I'll go the unlocked firmware route. For now though I have no complaints.
    I know today is my last day of waiting on Cingular. If I have time this weekend, I'm updating to the generic GSM firmware via the documented route for my Cingular branded phone.

I'm tired of tiny little databases taking up 10x the space they should. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1
    Do you Cingular 1.04 users experience a great deal of resets and instability? Is it that bad with the 1.04?
    Absolutely none.

My only complaint is a somewhat low ear piece volume. But "Volume Care" has helped with that.
    I would be sick if I was still waiting for the official Cingular upgrade. . . Sure am glad I went the ROW route with my Cingular T650.

I used to check for the update so often it was pitiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkdamark
    Keep in mind the unit is manufactured by P1 despite any branding on it. My experience has been that whenever you have a problem wireless unit, regardless of the manufacturer, Cingular has you deal DIRECTLY with them if you have a problem outside the initial 30 days.
    No problems at all with my Cingular (locked) 1.04 either. I'm not missing anything yet with some 6.2 megs left in my memory since February.
    I use my Sony HBH662 BT w/jabragels for 100% of my calls so volume is never an issue as well.

Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????